Need help - creative mounting options for this space? I'm stuck! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help - creative mounting options for this space? I'm stuck!

Hi all,

I'm really trying to get a projector to work in my new living space, but having trouble. Here's the details, maybe you can help with some ideas/products...

(the attached picture illustrates what I describe below)

The room is about 28.5 feet deep with very high vaulted ceilings. At the back of the room, about 9 feet up is a cutout section. I already own an 8350, which has lens shift and a nice zoom. The problem is, having the project in that space projects too large of an image. I need to get the lens approx 23" closer. (DAMN)

- I first thought of a sliding shelf that the projector would sit on, and then I could slide it out when using. Still an option, but that's a pretty good load for that extension.

- I ran across the many short-throw projector arms. I thought I could mount one on the left side of the alcove, and then swing it out when in use (not terrible practical because it's high up, but I'm desperate). The issue with this is that most of the arms don't articulate at the base.

----Something like this looked good, but where it attaches at the wall doesn't seem to articulate: http://www.standsandmounts.com/Peerl...TA-2955-W.aspx

----I think I would need something like this discontinued arm: http://www.memory-express.co.uk/p/440212

Any thoughts or suggestions? (on any of my ideas or a new one) I can't figure out the right solution. The 8350 is a BIG machine, so that is tricky as well. I'd be willing to purchase a projector that would project a smaller image at that length and has lens shift, which would solve the problem, but there doesn't seem to be anything.

I really appreciate the help.

LB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Projector Mounting - extension mount concept.jpg (69.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
How handy are you and how big is the alcove?

In my mind, I picture perhaps putting a door on the front of the alcove the can be lifted up. When you lift it up, the projector is attached to a piece of wood on sliders, and you can then slide it forward to get the proper distance you need.

When done using the projector, slide it back then lower the door on the alcove and the projector is hidden inside the alcove neatly.

If you don't care about aesthetics, there are a number of flat panel mounts that may be adapted to support the projector. But, I don't know of any that are designed natively for projectors like the one you were looking at.

There are a number of short throw wall mounts out there as well, which you could probably mount on the other way.

http://www.vogels.com/pps-500-short-...l#.U6ubuc9OVhE

But, that would certainly bring the projector out into the room.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
How handy are you and how big is the alcove?

In my mind, I picture perhaps putting a door on the front of the alcove the can be lifted up. When you lift it up, the projector is attached to a piece of wood on sliders, and you can then slide it forward to get the proper distance you need.

When done using the projector, slide it back then lower the door on the alcove and the projector is hidden inside the alcove neatly.

If you don't care about aesthetics, there are a number of flat panel mounts that may be adapted to support the projector. But, I don't know of any that are designed natively for projectors like the one you were looking at.

There are a number of short throw wall mounts out there as well, which you could probably mount on the other way.

http://www.vogels.com/pps-500-short-...l#.U6ubuc9OVhE

But, that would certainly bring the projector out into the room.
Thanks for the feedback. The alcove is very high, and wouldn't really work with a door on the front of it. However, because it's fairly high up, it would be ok if you saw it sitting there. I really wish the projector allowed me to throw the right size at that distance and problem solved.

And if it sat on a sliding shelf, you might not be able to see much of the shelf it it was anchored to the "floor" of the alcove. I wonder how long I could get a shelf and it still be safe and workable?

A motorized shelf would be even better. ;-)

An articulated arm would also work, although that would show more. Hmmmm
post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
We have server rails that extend over 3' and are designed to support 100+ pounds, we throw them out by the 100's when ever we retire a server here at the Data Center. Just draw slides from home depot might do the trick, 50 lb rated and will pull out about 2'. You could even motorize it with a car electric window lift from the junk yard, but that's getting involved.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Not cheap but Navitar makes lenses that sit in front of the projector .. look at the telephoto lenses to make it smaller
http://www.navitar.com/pdf/NuViewScr...chure_2013.pdf
Also call customer service they can tell you if it will work if you give them the projector and measurements.

Last edited by airscapes; 06-26-2014 at 02:40 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
We have server rails that extend over 3' and are designed to support 100+ pounds, we throw them out by the 100's when ever we retire a server here at the Data Center. Just draw slides from home depot might do the trick, 50 lb rated and will pull out about 2'. You could even motorize it with a car electric window lift from the junk yard, but that's getting involved.
Thanks. Not quite following the "Just draw slides from home depot might do the trick, 50 lb rated and will pull out about 2'" though. What's the name of the product/manufacturer?

Appreciate it.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Not cheap but Navitar makes lenses that sit in front of the projector .. look at the telephoto lenses to make it smaller
http://www.navitar.com/pdf/NuViewScr...chure_2013.pdf
Also call customer service they can tell you if it will work if you give them the projector and measurements.
Thank you. That would simplify, although as you mentioned I'm guessing it will be quite costly because of the usual application. I'll explore. Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Drawer slides.

That's where I lean towards as well. A couple of heavy duty drawer slides with good extension and you can slide it in/out easily and get the reach you need.

ie: http://www.amazon.com/Drawer-Slide-E...y+drawer+slide

My example isn't inexpensive, but it can extend a full 36" into the room. There is even a 48" extension model. 500 pound weight capacity. Crazy.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone suggest a larger screen yet? Based on your measurements ( 23" and 28.5' ) if your screen was only 7% larger it would work.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page