post #1 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector for 5.1 Audio?

Hi,

Sorry in advance for the n00b questions

I had more or less decided on the BenQ W1070 as a decent 3D projector to play films via my laptop.

However I am not sure how I will be able to get 5.1 audio as the projector doesn't have digital audio out and my laptop only has a stereo audio jack out, and HDMI out of course.

I have Sony STR-DE545 5.1 amp decoder which I was planning to use. Any ideas how I can get around this, or is there a similar projector with digital out I can plug into the amp?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Your laptop is where the source material is and that's where the 5.1 audio comes from.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Projector for 5.1 Audio?

Laptop, to amp/receiver, to projector via HDMI cables. HDMI carries the 5.1 audio straight from your laptop.

Edit: I see your old Sony doesn't have any HDMI inputs
There may be some hacked-together options, but projectors usually don't have audio processing at all; let alone Optical outs...
It's probably time to upgrade your receiver - Sony actually make some relatively good budget receivers. And yes, they all have HDMI inputs nowadays :-)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-26-2014 at 08:31 AM.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Liked: 31
Upgrade the receiver to one that supports HDMI or add spdif to the laptop via a usb sound card. Really the only two options.
kreeturez likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 754
like they've said. this doesn't really have anything to do with the projector. it's about getting hdmi to your avr so it can output 5.1. and also of course send video via hdmi to any projector you want.

you have to think of projectors as the end of the chain. not a switcher.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
like they've said. this doesn't really have anything to do with the projector. it's about getting hdmi to your avr so it can output 5.1. and also of course send video via hdmi to any projector you want.

you have to think of projectors as the end of the chain. not a switcher.

Exactly.

Even devices with digital outs (like TV's) are generally limited to non-DTS audio (meaning 5.1 is often out of the question).
In other cases, transporting 5.1 over Optical Digital Out also drops the quality a bit due to bandwidth limitations. HDMI is the way the industry does this these days.

The quick-'n-dirty solution is as per Thrillho's suggestion: a USB sound card for your laptop to add an audio connection supported by your Sony. It should certainly work in the meantime.

The proper solution, though, is to replace your aging AVR and do it all via HDMI: no loss of quality, no software setup, no compromises. Your existing speakers themselves should be fine; it's just the AVR that's in need of an upgrade!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks everyone. I will upgrade my AVR, I have had good use from this one so it can retire happy.

So it would be HDMI out from my laptop to the AVR then AVR to the projector for video also via HDMI? As you can tell I am out of touch with this.

Any recommendations on the AVR, something that will do the job for decent sound but budget to mid range..
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srclinton View Post
Cool thanks everyone. I will upgrade my AVR, I have had good use from this one so it can retire happy.

So it would be HDMI out from my laptop to the AVR then AVR to the projector for video also via HDMI? As you can tell I am out of touch with this.
Pleasure, man.
Yup, that's exactly how you'd wire it. Nice and simple.

Quote:
Any recommendations on the AVR, something that will do the job for decent sound but budget to mid range..
If you want to stick to Sony, check my sig for a recommendation on a nice 5.2-channel receiver on a budget. Been very very happy: and this series of receivers has been well-received critically.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

What is your budget?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117408

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Yes. You should look for an AVR with multiple HDMI inputs. You will want a separate cable tuner and/or Blu-ray player to go along with it if you don't have those yet (if you want them).

I didn't look closely, but quite often the speakers packaged with cheap home theater in a box kits aren't compatible with traditional A/V receivers, so the step up your are making may require speakers to go with it.

Quote:
I recommend everyone at least look at www.accessories4less.com

They have a section with just receivers, as well as complete 5.1 HTiB kits which use traditional speakers (8 ohm) and real A/V receivers which start under $200 for solid quality.

They have a lot of re-certified gear that they sell, and it comes with manufacturer approval and warranty, so some great pricing can be had.

For example - about $200 shipped -
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...package/1.html

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A cheaper solution would be to get a usb sound card for your laptop. I suggest this one from Vantec, I have used it in the past for a similar situation.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page