1Likes
  • 1 Post By fierce_gt

post #1 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how come projector prices don't move?

I've been looking to upgrade from my old 720p to something 1080p, but prices haven't really budged much, in fact they may have only gone up in the year or two I've been looking...I'd really like to score a panisonic 8000eu or an Epson 5010 for a decent price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New prices have come down ALOT in the last several years.
The first projector I bought was a 720p model and it ran me $1200 back in 2007.
Be grateful you can get a solid entry level 1080p model for under $1000.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
I've been looking to upgrade from my old 720p to something 1080p, but prices haven't really budged much, in fact they may have only gone up in the year or two I've been looking...I'd really like to score a panisonic 8000eu or an Epson 5010 for a decent price.
I would go on to say that if projector companies don't watch out that the VR : Oculus Rift , Gameface, Sony's consumer VR headset, Avegant Glyph ,will in some ways take over the home entertainment market and some of the home theater market.
Far fetched ? I think not.
The Avegant Glyph is geared for those who want to watch cinema.
If they all of those companies are successful in introducing all of those VR head sets and the Glyph ? many people will adopt it towards home theater and home entertainment.
Of course there will be a whole lot of naysayers.
Most of these VR head sets most of the consumer market will be able to buy for less money than a projector and won't have to build a dedicate room for it.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 650
No way to a vr headset over watching a movie with family and friends on my panny 8000u.

Projector prices did come down on the 8000u. It started at 3500ish and now is 1900 after rebate.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sony's 40ES just dropped from 2,499.99 to 1,999.99. 500 doll hairs
post #6 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Sony's 40ES just dropped from 2,499.99 to 1,999.99. 500 doll hairs
Link please.

Thanks

John36
post #7 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
post #8 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John36 View Post
Link please.

Thanks
Go to www.projector people.com

Go to the NAC bar at the top:

-select projectors by brand
--Sony
---The model VPL-HW40ES should be at the top

Or you can do all this by just searching the model listed above in their search feature in the top right hand corner.

Sorry I'm on my phone and their site lags out on my internet here :/
post #9 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyK View Post
Or this ^____^
post #10 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought a mitsui 7900 for 799, delivered to my door... how much cheaper do u want it???
post #11 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well if the Ostendo's chip for 30$ its true, and the hologram story too, I think projectors makers will have to think about all their technology.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks like Best Buy has the new Sony for $1,999.98 right now too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-3d-...0018&cp=1&lp=1
post #13 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 794
yeah not sure I agree with this at all.

what I got for 1500bux 5yrs ago could be replaced and VASTLY improved on for about $700bux today

for reference, I got an Epson hc720 (720p, low contrast, low brightness) and I know for sure a benq 1070 would blow it out of the water for half the price today.

I guess specific models haven't decreased in price much, but then why should they? it's not like they take up a ton of space, and in many cases the retailers don't even stock them(or only keep one in stock), so it's not like there's going to be a bunch of clearance sales. projectors seem to have a price 'hill' over time too. they start off pretty cheap with a preorder, then go up around MSRP during their model life, then go back to around the preorder price for the rest of their production.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by John36 View Post
Link please.

Thanks
Yep. I announced this in the HW40ES thread. Sale is good until July 12th.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy29 View Post
Looks like Best Buy has the new Sony for $1,999.98 right now too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-3d-...0018&cp=1&lp=1
This is a national sale. All of us Sony dealers have this for $1,999 until July 12th.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
I strongly recommend you go back 2 or 3 years and pick up a Panasonic AE8000 for under $2,000.

You won't. The AE800 was closer to $3,000 at that point. The Epson was similarly priced.

Current pricing, on those products is certainly 'decent'. Some would say it is even 'excellent'. But, there are other options which are really astounding, such as quality 1080p projectors for well under $1,000.

If you want a projector with very good optics, and good zoom range, and lens shift, it's not going to come from the line of current models because their overall build quality is to high to allow for that at this point. But, we could see a model like the 2030 or 3020 be upgraded with a better lens.

Still, I'm not sure what led you to post this. You clearly have a personal goal you are trying to achieve. Perhaps you want 1080p and need lens shift and good zoom range and you only have a $500 or $1,000 budget. Well, if that's the case, then you are likely out of luck for a while. But, that's not the fault of manufacturers. Kind of like the 90" television I want in my family room, I can't blame Sharp for not selling it to me for $2,000. I just have to wait and keep saving money.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, just watching 4k panel prices drop while wondering why projectors don't move much. Maybe it's not apples to apples.

GOod comment about the Occulus Rift. I think high-end is gonna shift that way as well.

Last edited by grathan; 06-30-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

the optics needed for UHD are pretty high end. that alone accounts for a large part of the reason UHD projectors aren't as common or as cheap as UHD TV's.

the other half of the equation, is that while I think there is a large market of consumers willing to buy low quality UHD TV's, I don't think there's a lot of ppl looking for low quality UHD projectors. if somebody's going to spend 3k for a UHD projector, they don't want it to have the contrast ratio and sharpness of a $400 business model projector.

I've seen it stated elsewhere, but I totally agree with it, projector owners are just generally more educated. whether or not they're actually more demanding, or smarter shoppers, there's just a higher requirement for research when buying a projector. it's not really practical to go to a store or two, and buy a projector. you pretty much have to look around online, and inevitably that means reading a lot of professional reviews and ending up on forums like this one.

so I just don't see somebody getting 'duped' into buying a low quality projector just because it has a high resolution chip. there's really no practical application for a UHD projector that has optics that can't resolve UHD resolutions. and I don't see enough demand for UHD in the business market to justify a low contrast model.

bottom line, projectors and TV's are pretty different. and at this point, it does seem as those UHD presents a slightly more difficult challenge to projectors, that's why prices on those particular models are not dropping really fast. if we just look at 1080p model though. I'd say that projectors are keeping up with TV's in both performance and value improvements
Ftoast likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that fierce_gt. Do you have an opinion on advertised contrast ratios? Are they comparable, and are panels to projectors claims also comparable?
post #20 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that fierce_gt. Do you have an opinion on advertised contrast ratios? Are they comparable, and are panels to projectors claims also comparable?
the only advertised number that I pay attention to is the price. everything else should be taken from a review.

a good example of this could be comparing my 1600lumen Epson to the 1300 lumen jvc that replaced it.

would ya believe the jvc was the brighter one, by far?

if you read the reviews, the calibrated brightness for the jvc is closer to 700lumens, and the Epson closer to 400. that's something you couldn't find on the spec sheet. contrast is equally difficult, maybe even more difficult to compare. the Epson relies on a dynamic iris. one that's so clumsy and loud I find it unusable. with the DI, the claimed CR for the Epson was 10,000:1. that's not half bad actually, but I'm sure it got nowhere near that. and they almost never post the ansi contrast ratios either. you really need both on/off and ansi numbers to get the full story.
here's another comparison between the jvc and Epson. jvc rated at 50,000:1, so no surprise it's better than the Epson's 10,000:1 in this case. but from reviews, the jvc seems to compete with and beat many that are rated at 100,000:1 or more.

as for comparing specs from projectors to plasmas. that's pretty tough too. from my experience, it seems as though plasmas seem to have much better ansi contrast, but projectors can have better on/off contrast. a 'fade to black' on the jvc destroys the same scene on my f8500. but something with a few bright spots over a dark image 'pop' more on a plasma. see the scene here:

on my plasma, the scene looks really impressive. it's got so much contrast, that my camera(canon t3i) can't capture the details in both the dark and bright areas at the same time. when I try to take photos it ends up looking bad. my projector on the other hand, still looks good, but since it doesn't have the same ansi contrast, the image doesn't quite pop as much, and my camera seems to be able to handle nearly the full range of the image.
I'm not sure it'll show what I want, but here's a comparison:
plasma

projector

basically, when shopping for a display, it's important to consider professional reviews, user reviews, and your personal observations. I usually like to read the pro reviews and user reviews first. that way if there's one or two common concerns I know what to look for, as some times you can miss things in the store. unfortunately with projectors, you often don't get to have any personal observations, so the reviews become even more important.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-10-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again fierce_gt. Do you think web browsing text contrast levels are sufficient enough to use a projector mainly for web browsing yet?
post #22 of 22 Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again fierce_gt. Do you think web browsing text contrast levels are sufficient enough to use a projector mainly for web browsing yet?
the contrast needed for good video is way higher than the contrast needed for text.

we use pretty cheap, low quality projectors at school, and they handle powerpoint presentations in ambient lighting no problem. I've watched many videos on them, even in the dark, and they really suck for that though.

i'd say pretty much any projector that is able to show video 'ok' will be able to show web pages and text just fine. I mean, historically, computer monitors haven't really been know for their amazing contrast, haha. and most 'business' class projectors designed from presentations have lower contrast than home theatre projectors. really, the only thing you may find lacking is brightness if you want to view those webpages with all the lights on.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 07-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page