Considering a projector setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Considering a projector setup

I currently have a 51" samsung plasma that has always been great, but I want bigger. Started looking into a new TV, possibly the Vizio e-series, but if I'm going to upgrade I want to go to atleast 65" (60" isn't enough to warrant the upgrade for me). However, at that price point (which ends up being around $1300-$1500), you could get a nice BenQ W1070 or W1080ST and a screen and have a larger, more accurate image and possibly come out under budget. This is what tempts me to buy into the projector.

You may call me crazy, but this is for a bedroom setup at the house I currently rent. So I have 2 main questions/issues I'm hoping you guys can provide some creative solutions/insight on. Or tell me to ditch to projector idea altogether. I'm all ears.

1) Mounting: I rent the house, so I am against drilling into the ceiling. To counter this, I have a rough idea in my head of creating a mount that would go around my bed (near the head of the bed), consisting of 4 2"x4"s as the legs and a sheet of plywood at the top near the ceiling from which the projector could hang. That way no holes end up in the ceiling and everyone is happy. I could also use this as a double-duty mount for rear channel speakers, and cable management would be easy as I could just attach them to the frame.

2) Screen size: The mount would be about 9 or 10 feet away from the wall to be projected upon. I originally thought that I would have to get the 1080 short throw model due to the fact that it is a bedroom setup, but the calculator HERE says that at 8 feet, the image would be 146" diagonally. And it does not even recommend putting it more than 9 feet away due to brightness. A closer mounting is not really an option because I want the mount to be above the head of my bed (and the wall to be projected upon is opposite the head of my bead, which is against the opposite wall), so that I can still get in and out if I choose to build this crazy contraption around it.

The 1070 on the other hand, is 95" diagonally at 9 feet. Which I think is plenty big and more suitable to my needs. Right?

I also have a center channel that I have to worry about. If the image is too large, I will need to get an acoustically transparent screen and mount the center behind it, which honestly doesn't bother me because I would love to have to sound coming directly from the screen. But then those screens only come in exact sizes. Is it possible to adjust the size of the projected image at all from the settings in the projector, or is the only way to adjust the image size by moving the projector further/closer to the screen?

As you can see, I want a projector. It may not make the most sense for me, but I am willing to go through a bit of inconvenience to get it set up right for my needs. Can anybody help guide me to the most sensible solution here? Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 155
You're far from crazy... You may be able to get away with using the W1070 rather than the (more expensive) W1080.

Use the official BenQ Calculator rather than the one you're using to get a better idea idea of the projection offset: ceiling mounting will produce an image that's just a bit below the center of the lens; the W1070 has lens shift to push the image down a bit (the W1080 doesn't.)

The calculator is here:
http://www.benq.com/microsite/projec...tiocalculator/

With the W1070 mounted 8 feet away, you could only get about 96" of screen size maximum.
At 9 feet, you could do 108"
At 10 feet, you could do 120".

Both projectors have Zoom rings that allow the image to be made smaller from the same distance without really affecting the image quality; the Zoom Ratio of the calculator will give you these details.

Try the calculator for your room. I think it looks like you can work the W1070 just fine.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Your mounting solution should work just fine, lens of projector must be a few inches above the screen. It has Zoom range at, 9' lens to screen you could do up to 107" (95" is the center of the range ). Light control is the the most important and light colored walls and ceiling will hurt your contrast but won't rule it out.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 831
agree with above. the deciding factor has nothing to do with screen, or the projector, or how you'll mount it imo. the thing that determines whether or not a projector is a good idea is the room, and your viewing habits.

if you can control lighting, you can find a projector to suit your needs. I would personally argue, that projectors offer BETTER picture quality than today's LED's anyway, so there's no compromise unless the room is bright, which will ruin black levels and therefore contrast.

for a bedroom set up, you may want to consider an LED/laser projector instead though. guess it depends on how you will use it
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

My room has 3 windows that are all covered by blinds and curtains. Most of the time it remains pretty dark, but some light does come in (I'm not using blackout curtains).

What level of light would make the W1070's performance unsatisfactory? Also if you're suggesting a different type of projector, do you have any particular models in mind within the same price range as the W1070?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstam View Post
My room has 3 windows that are all covered by blinds and curtains. Most of the time it remains pretty dark, but some light does come in (I'm not using blackout curtains).

What level of light would make the W1070's performance unsatisfactory? Also if you're suggesting a different type of projector, do you have any particular models in mind within the same price range as the W1070?
if you can keep the light low enough that it's hard to read in, you'll be fine with pretty much any projector. once you get above that, conditions start to apply. for example, I have my lighting set up with a zone over my seating and a zone in front of the screen. as long as I keep the lights off near the screen, I can actually get the lights pretty bright over the seating before it's an issue. basically, whatever a white object looks like in your room, that's what the 'black' will be like on screen. if your room is so bright that white objects are easily seen, the image on screen will be washed out. if your room is dark enough that white objects hide in the shadows, then you'll likely get a great image on screen. here's a shot I took with what I consider a good compromise between on screen performance and having enough light over my seating to easily move around.

this would be a level where tv watching would be ok, but I wouldn't want to watch a movie like this

and finally, lighting that's too bright to really enjoy, imo.

the 1070 seems like the go to projector for it's price range. hard to beat it without stepping up about a grand in price. but then again, to get a tv that can compete with the 1070 would cost even more than that...
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I'm still set on the 1070. Lighting is not a huge concern for me. If it's still too bright then I can get blackout curtains.

Now I'm looking at fixed frame projector screens. I was originally going to look into making a DIY screen, but for a variety of reasons I have decided against that. Acoustically transparent screens seem like a plus, because I would love to put my center channel behind the screen. However, acoustically transparent gets pricey pretty quick. I was able to find this model for a decent price:

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...1-A-39370.html

I noticed that is the AcousticPro1080 fabric, and it seems like the most recent iteration of EliteScreen's AT screens is now AcousticPro1080p3. Does that mean this screen is a couple generations behind? Would that be something to worry about? Is this price even correct? It seems awfully low for an AT screen.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

what would concern me is the screen texture. I have no experience with THAT screen, so this is not at specific concern. but I recently replaced the screen that came bundled in with my first projector with a cheaper electric screen, and the texture that's visible on the cheap one is TERRIBLE. generally speaking, texture is more of an issue with high gain, or AT screens. this one was neither. so if it's got distracting texture, I'd be really worried about a cheap AT screen. maybe see if you can get screen samples and test for yourself? a simple piece of white printer paper is a great baseline to compare to.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page