DLP to Projector help needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DLP to Projector help needed

I have a dedicated theater room that is currently has a 73 Mitusbishi DPL. We are going to move that out to and replace with a proector system. I need some assistance on what to buy. The room is 15 x 30 x 10. The primary seats are 14 feet from where the screen is going to be. There is no ambient light or little as lights are on Dimmer. The built-ins allow for up to 90 inches wide.

However, the seating on either side are only 7 feet from the screen.. I am worried about picture quality for the seating on the sides..

I would like to stay below $3000 for the projector..

Need help in deciding on the type of projector. What do I need??
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Grab the Sony 40es. Just went in sale at $2000
post #3 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Will you be gaming (playing video games) or just watching movies?

If just watching movies, the JVC RS46 (X35) is the best looking projector you are going to get for under $3,000. It's ideal for smaller screens and has phenomenal black levels and a great image with good 3D.

The Sony 40ES, now on sale for $2,000 is a great value and produces a very good image and has faster response time for video gaming, but doesn't have the contrast levels of the JVC (nothing in this price range does).

I couldn't click on your photo to see a large version of it (is it me?). It would be nice to see a large version of your room.

90" wide is extremely small considering your viewing distance. Typical would be about a 120"+ screen diagonal for proper setup. You will be forced into a sub 100" screen, which is larger that your Mits. but a lot smaller than ideal.

That said, the side seating won't be an issue, but they will be a fair bit closer. Like sitting sideways in a movie theater towards the front. It's not a typical way to setup seating, but does work out okay. They just aren't the 'prime' seats. No viewing angle issues or anything like that with a decent screen. A 1.0 matte white screen would be recommended.

I would really search for a way to get the screen size up somehow.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Will you be gaming (playing video games) or just watching movies?

If just watching movies, the JVC RS46 (X35) is the best looking projector you are going to get for under $3,000. It's ideal for smaller screens and has phenomenal black levels and a great image with good 3D.

The Sony 40ES, now on sale for $2,000 is a great value and produces a very good image and has faster response time for video gaming, but doesn't have the contrast levels of the JVC (nothing in this price range does).

I couldn't click on your photo to see a large version of it (is it me?). It would be nice to see a large version of your room.

90" wide is extremely small considering your viewing distance. Typical would be about a 120"+ screen diagonal for proper setup. You will be forced into a sub 100" screen, which is larger that your Mits. but a lot smaller than ideal.

That said, the side seating won't be an issue, but they will be a fair bit closer. Like sitting sideways in a movie theater towards the front. It's not a typical way to setup seating, but does work out okay. They just aren't the 'prime' seats. No viewing angle issues or anything like that with a decent screen. A 1.0 matte white screen would be recommended.

I would really search for a way to get the screen size up somehow.
I will not be playing games just movies.. I reattached the picture. Thaks for your input and experience..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	143130  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Langan View Post
I have a dedicated theater room that is currently has a 73 Mitusbishi DPL. We are going to move that out to and replace with a proector system. I need some assistance on what to buy. The room is 15 x 30 x 10. The primary seats are 14 feet from where the screen is going to be. There is no ambient light or little as lights are on Dimmer. The built-ins allow for up to 90 inches wide.

However, the seating on either side are only 7 feet from the screen.. I am worried about picture quality for the seating on the sides..

I would like to stay below $3000 for the projector..

Need help in deciding on the type of projector. What do I need??

How about leaving the DLP in there and purchasing a nice motorized screen? Then you wont be limited in size.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mantooth View Post
How about leaving the DLP in there and purchasing a nice motorized screen? Then you wont be limited in size.
Great question... Well the reason this whole process started is beacause the 65' Diamond Crapped the bed AGAIN.. (upstairs tv) so we went looking for a replacement for it and started thinking about switching out the 73 downstairs to upstairs and going with the projector system.. dont realy care abour 3-D but want to go with somthing that is bright and good quality picture..
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 511
A good quality picture comes from a dark room with front projection. Unlike your rear projection unit which has a sealed projection light path, front projection does not. So, you are going to need as dark of a room as possible at all times for viewing. The reward for doing this is a stunning image which typically rivals the local movie theater experience.

Looking at the room, I'm not sure what to do. The pieces on the side are not ideal, and really interfere with everything, significantly IMO. I would be looking at a good tab-tensioned motorized screen, or some other solution to get a screen size which is a (fair bit) larger. About 120" or so would be where I'd start looking. Maybe as much as a 133" or even larger. Going to nearly twice the diagonal (4 times the size!) of your Mits. is a completely different experience.

The JVC is not spectacularly bright, but delivers the best 2D image available under $3,000.

The Sony is a new, and very nice model, which is priced a bit better, and is brighter, but doesn't have the same contrast (nearly) that the JVC does. Still, it may open your budget up more for some screen options, or other options.

I really like the room, and visually like the built-in units, but hate how it impacts the potential setup. I just want them gone.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Keep the built ins like they are and just stick a 2.35:1 A/T screen up there. Use the built ins for speakers. Looks like the perfect setup for this!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

AV the wife loves them cant go anywhere.. Techtre the speakers are actually going into the wall directly behind where they sit..

So if i have 93 wide what is the biggest picture i can get? I imagine I am going to need a custom screen.. I may have to go with a lower priced projector than the JVC i figure with the installation and the sceen I want to stay under $3k and I do not care about 3d but there may not always be complete darkness so something that may be able to adjust to light levels?? options??
post #10 of 10 Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
With 93" wide you could do a borderless 16:9 screen at 106". If you want a border, you'd be looking for a 100" screen. What I was suggesting is that you go with a 2.35:1 screen and actually place it over the built in units. This way you wouldn't be limited to the 93" wide and you'd still have the built-ins in place; they'd just be covered up. I understand if that's not an option though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page