Need Help finding right ultra short projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-02-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Need Help finding right ultra short projector

I visit tradeshows and have a booth. Our booth is made to be in the shape of a boat. I am trying to add an ultra short throw projector and project images/videos on to the sail. We can change the fabric of the sail to any white material that will look like a sail.

Basically I need a good recommendation for an ultra ultra short throw projector that can display an image 87" in a room that is half lit. I would prefer if it is a reverse ultra short throw projector as it would be easier to hide the projector.

I am torn between two models and would love to hear some others. My heart is going for the Phillips Screeneo which may not be able to work in the lit room and is not reverse projection.

The other model is a Dukane ImagePro. I saw it in action but not sure how it will function in a half lit room. I was told that in shows projector images wash out from the lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Benq w1080st probably best bet.
reckless7 likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The Epson 485W might also be a good candidate.
It can be mounted almost beneath the projected image.
reckless7 likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #4 of 20 Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Whatever you use, the screen has to be perfectly flat. Any curve or bend to a screen with a ultra short throw model is going to wreak havoc on the image because of the throw angle. Otherwise, the ONLY thing that really matters is lumen count. You want it as bright as possible to deal with ambient light, and I would recommend no less than 80 advertised lumens per square foot of projection size to hopefully achieve a 12:1 contrast ratio.
reckless7 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
Benq w1080st probably best bet.
I looked this one up and it doesn't seem to be short enough. It has a great price but not short enough and doesn't seem bright enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
This may be a better option. I'm comparing it to the Screeneo and the optoma. I think the screeneo doesn't have enough lumens even though its the ultimate short throw/
post #6 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless7 View Post
I looked this one up and it doesn't seem to be short enough. It has a great price but not short enough and doesn't seem bright enough.

This may be a better option. I'm comparing it to the Screeneo and the optoma. I think the screeneo doesn't have enough lumens even though its the ultimate short throw/
I too was looking for an ultra-short throw projector albeit as a replacement for a TV at home. In addition to the Epson models, Ricoh also makes ultra-short throw models (there are videos on YouTube) which also seems to be interesting. I believe Projector Central has the Ricoh model listed as '2012 Highly Rated'. If it helps, here is the link to the 'Highly Rated' short throw and ultra-short throw models at Projector Central.
reckless7 likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, in terms of your desired placement and ambient light conditions, it looks like a solid bet.
Epson is also usually pretty adherent to their brightness ratings: so you can be rest-assured it's very bright.

Officially, that model appears to have been replaced with the PowerLite 585W (which adds an extra HDMI Input and has extra contrast); what matters to you is that it's also a touch brighter.
MSRP is the same price as the outgoing model; though the older model might still make sense if you can find a good deal on it.
reckless7 likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #8 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, in terms of your desired placement and ambient light conditions, it looks like a solid bet.
Epson is also usually pretty adherent to their brightness ratings: so you can be rest-assured it's very bright.

Officially, that model appears to have been replaced with the PowerLite 585W (which adds an extra HDMI Input and has extra contrast); what matters to you is that it's also a touch brighter.
MSRP is the same price as the outgoing model; though the older model might still make sense if you can find a good deal on it.

What about Optoma TW695UT-3D?
http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/TW695UT-3D
It's on ebay for $550 open box (Epson is $1300). The only major drawback I see is that it needs to be further back, 20" instead of 8". It's got more lumens but not sure if that is going to be brighter than the epson. Epson had a better speaker but not sure if 16W mono was going to cut it in my application. Going 20" back maybe hard in a small booth.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
I too was looking for an ultra-short throw projector albeit as a replacement for a TV at home. In addition to the Epson models, Ricoh also makes ultra-short throw models (there are videos on YouTube) which also seems to be interesting. I believe Projector Central has the Ricoh model listed as '2012 Highly Rated'. If it helps, here is the link to the 'Highly Rated' short throw and ultra-short throw models at Projector Central.
Ricoh looks to be second best option after epson but because price is same, I would consider epson first.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What about Optoma TW695UT-3D?
http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/TW695UT-3D
It's on ebay for $550 open box (Epson is $1300). The only major drawback I see is that it needs to be further back, 20" instead of 8". It's got more lumens but not sure if that is going to be brighter than the epson. Epson had a better speaker but not sure if 16W mono was going to cut it in my application. Going 20" back maybe hard in a small booth.

I took a chance and offered $400 on the Optoma and seller accepted (wish I had offered even less now). Does anyone see why this won't work for me? I was about to order the epson 585W for $1300 even if it was $300 more.

Only major issues I see is that the throw difference is another foot and speakers are 2x5W instead of 16W. I imagine it will do stereo but 5W seems weak. I couldn't find a review for this model online.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can't find any reviews on the TW695UT-3D. An eBay purchase of an open box projector that hasn't been professionally reviewed is always a crap shoot. But if cost is the primary consideration, gambling $400 on a projector with an MSRP of $2,349 may be worth the risk. Good luck. On the speaker issue, it would be really simple to hook up an inexpensive powered speaker to just about any projector if you need better sound.
reckless7 likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Can't find any reviews on the TW695UT-3D. An eBay purchase of an open box projector that hasn't been professionally reviewed is always a crap shoot. But if cost is the primary consideration, gambling $400 on a projector with an MSRP of $2,349 may be worth the risk. Good luck. On the speaker issue, it would be really simple to hook up an inexpensive powered speaker to just about any projector if you need better sound.
Yeah, its a tough call. I don't know anything about the Optoma brand. Cost isn't primary concern but I need reasons to pay more. I do know one thing I didn't take into account is the mount is costing $200 (but its an excellent telescoping mount) so total price is $600 vs $1300 for Epson.

I focus alot on Lumens and not as much on contrast. It has 3500 lumens which according to Epson is good enough to watch outdoors but contrast is 3,000 to 1 (epson is 10k:1). Not sure how important that is in a lighted environment. Epson's lamp is rated longer at 4k hours instead of 2.5k. I did see a spec saying uniformity is over 85%. Not sure if all projectors have that.

I wish someone made ultra ultra short throw projectors in portable format.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Indeed, one of the reasons the Epson came to mind is because that series of projectors has been rather well-received (here and elsewhere). Conversely, there's nary a single review anywhere on the Optoma despite it being over a year old... New, their pricing is quite similar.
In honesty, though, Optoma products are normally pretty decent and at that price saving, I can see how that sale was difficult to ignore.

Ignore the manufacturer-specified contrast measurements: they're usually garbage; the only way to verify them is to measure (or to read a review that does the measuring for you).

Guess you can send some feedback our way when you receive it... trailblazing 'n all

On the subject of audio: external audio should be no problem; it even has an analog (stereo) audio-out; which will pass through audio received via HDMI.
reckless7 likes this.

post #14 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Indeed, one of the reasons the Epson came to mind is because that series of projectors has been rather well-received (here and elsewhere). Conversely, there's nary a single review anywhere on the Optoma despite it being over a year old... New, their pricing is quite similar.
In honesty, though, Optoma products are normally pretty decent and at that price saving, I can see how that sale was difficult to ignore.

Ignore the manufacturer-specified contrast measurements: they're usually garbage; the only way to verify them is to measure (or to read a review that does the measuring for you).

Guess you can send some feedback our way when you receive it... trailblazing 'n all

On the subject of audio: external audio should be no problem; it even has an analog (stereo) audio-out; which will pass through audio received via HDMI.
I have a feeling there was no review on this Optoma device because of the target market segment. Not being a home based theater model makes it less marketable. My understanding is for home markets contrast is more important and for education market lumens is more important. I was trying to see if Optoma had made a similar projector for a different market.

I do have a BOSE Soundstage and L1 devices but was curious if I could get decent sound without hooking them up. I do plan on putting this projector in my home when not being used. Probably in my basement which is pretty well lit with sunlight. I just wish it did more than a 100" screen. My basement height is 11' so I think I could have fit a 180" screen.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Haw

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I wish someone made ultra ultra short throw projectors in portable format.
The Ricoh mentioned by viba is the lightest and smallest and truly portable. At 3kg, it comes with a sling bag that can be used to carry it around. What I find attractive about the Ricoh is its vertical form that takes up less horizontal space. There are 2 models, WX4130 (2800 lumens) and WX4141 (3300 lumens).

reckless7 likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, when I was researching I noticed that the Ricoh had the slimmest form factor. I don't know if I did the right thing buying the $400 optoma projector. Although 3500 lumens sounds very enticing compared to all the other models I come across. If I hadn't bought it I would have been most inclined to the Ricoh if I could have found a deal for it.

For $400 I was even tempted to buy a second Optoma but not sure how I could use it. Can you put two projectors together to get 5000 lumens (something more)?
post #17 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Haw

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You could put 2 projectors together to increase the lumens. This has been done with normal-throw projectors but I can't imagine doing it with Ultra short throws. Getting the 2 images to overlap and aligned at such short distances from the screen would be extremely challenging if not impossible. If your demo room is half lit as you have mentioned, 3300 lumens would give a sufficiently bright picture though colors and contrast would appear a tad washed-out.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

It's in tradeshow conferences. They are lit but not very well. The projector has 3500 lumens.

If anyone knows if this is possible let me know as I think I can get second one for $300. The purpose would be to increase brightness.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

So I got my optoma TW695UT-3D 3500 lumens today. Had to run for work so I didn't get much time to test and play with it. I went to my basement which is a pretty well lit walk out basement. I did two types of testing one with lights on and one with lights off (semi lit from daylight). I tested with playing some 720p videos from Matrix off youtube on my laptop. With lights off the display seemed ok, nothing spectacular (I'm used to LCD televisions). I couldn't make out finer detail and blacks seemed to be blending together. With all the lights on (worse cast scenario in a tradeshow), it was half viewable. I am debating whether I should have bought a projector with higher lumen output (not sure if they cost alot more than $400). I will do more testing later tonight. I am going to see how it performs outside at a church. I did like how close the projector had to be to the wall to display a picture.

Last edited by reckless7; 07-10-2014 at 04:00 PM.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw View Post
You could put 2 projectors together to increase the lumens. This has been done with normal-throw projectors but I can't imagine doing it with Ultra short throws. Getting the 2 images to overlap and aligned at such short distances from the screen would be extremely challenging if not impossible. If your demo room is half lit as you have mentioned, 3300 lumens would give a sufficiently bright picture though colors and contrast would appear a tad washed-out.
It seems to be good for pictures and presentations which is what we will mostly be doing. But we would like to have the ability to put videos on in the future. The colors and contrast appear washed out for movie purpose. If I put a second projector will that fix this or not really? I do see the ability to change the vertical and horizontal position of the projector and can make a custom cart to hold it.

Also, I am having a custom display made which will completely enclose the screen and projector. It's going to be two lawyers one white outside and black inside. Not sure how much that will improve the video quality. I've been testing in pretty lit environments.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 485W by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page