• 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Predictions for Epson 5040

Realistic predictions for Epson 5040
Has anyone heard any credible news/rumors on what will be in the next top-end Epson? (guessing it will be called 5040)

Is there any low hanging fruit that still needs improvement?

What would be your realistic predictions for what will be improved in the 2014 model?
I would take 4K off the table in this discussion. It is too early, and Epson will come out with a new 4K line when they are ready at a higher price point. They would still keep this line at this price or lower to maintain their volume in the market.

I was looking at getting the 5030, but I am holding off now until Sept and we see what is in the new model. The biggest thing I am looking for is a good fast mode for gaming. This is the biggest Achilles heel for me with the 5030. Right now to get good gaming performance, I have to put up with a softer picture, which I consider unacceptable for the price of this projector. Panasonic can get great gaming performance using the same LCD from Epson. Anyone know why Epson is having such a hard time with this? I own a 8350 without this issue, but their best projector after 3 generations cannot still get the speed that my budget PJ has? That is my personal biggest wish for the 5040, and I think is a very realistic one.
Black levels were improved last year, I cannot see any change here. Already the brightest projector on the market, can't see any change here. Not sure what else they would add/improve.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-05-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Apparently Epson will be releasing new and for Epson, relatively expensive new models. This begs the question as to whether or not they will continue with the inexpensive 50?0 line. I believe that in the fall of 2014 we will see a bit of a shakeup in the projector world.

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...rlin-ifa-2014/
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Deja Vu, I can see Epson releasing more expensive models, but they will not get rid of the $2699 price point of the 50 series. They might replace it with a newer line, I would be shocked if they got rid of that price point entirely. They would loose too much volume, and I don't think they would want to do that.
Have you heard any details of what they plan to release?
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Apparently Epson will be releasing new and for Epson, relatively expensive new models. This begs the question as to whether or not they will continue with the inexpensive 50?0 line. I believe that in the fall of 2014 we will see a bit of a shakeup in the projector world.

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...rlin-ifa-2014/
link works but, can't find what you posted?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm holding off on getting the 5030 for two reasons. I believe that the new Sony40es is going to drop below $2000 permanently to maybe 1895 or so. I feel that's the only way that that Sony model can compete with an Epson of similar price. Actually I feel the Epson 5030's direct competition is the Sony 55es, not the 40es. Also, I believe that it would be great if these projector companies would make it easier to calibrate these projectors or spend more time making sure there's one mode that is calibrated perfectly (along with better quality control).
post #6 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am also waiting to see what comes out in the fall. Hopefully panasonic will also have something new.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Wouldn't it be nice to have a projector in the 5030's price range that had a lens that could switch from 16:9 to 2:35? To me, this is where projectors have not made any advancement in the last 10 years.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have a lens that switches from 16:9 to 2:35 in this price range? I can't think of anyone. Probably not possible.
Next month will reveal everything!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have a projector in the 5030's price range that had a lens that could switch from 16:9 to 2:35? To me, this is where projectors have not made any advancement in the last 10 years.

The lenses would cost 5,000 alone. Might as well make it out of gold while we are at it.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks why I said there's really been no advancement in this area of front projectors for years, even in projectors costing quite a bit more than the 5030.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Thanks why I said there's really been no advancement in this area of front projectors for years, even in projectors costing quite a bit more than the 5030.
...and by years, I assume you mean never.

The use of a anamorphic lens is done the same way it was done in theaters over 50 years ago. You need a completely DIFFERENT lens to make it work. So, I'm not sure what you are asking for.

Personally, I think Epson should put their long/zoom lens on the cheaper 3020 and ditch the 8345 completely. Add motorized lens presets to the 5030 as Panasonic has had with the AE8000.

Then they may finally introduce their LCoS models, which will be a step up in price. But, with Sony nipping at $2,000 with LCoS, I'm not sure how expensive Epson can be in that area, uncles they offer a serious jump overall.
Ftoast likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
I'm guessing you're referring to something other than an anamorphic lens, but if you are looking for a cheap solution they are very easy to make. The anamorphic lens doesn't use any difficult curves so all you need is a decent quality pair of glass wedges of the correct angle. You can get them for roughly $50 each from a custom trophy online shop. The pincushioning and CA is minimal, the build simple and the price attainable for the mere mortal. There's a dedicated thread somewhere.

More on topic, would it be possible for Epson to add some form of a physical panel alignment feature to hide pixel gaps in a similar fashion as Panasonic?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page