Advise Needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advise Needed.

We are building an addition to our house and under that contractor will dig a new basement, I will be using this basement as a dedicated home theater, there won't be any windows and I can control the light.

Basement size is 13 ' 10" x 16' 6" (drywall to drywall).

Budget is tight (already spend too much money for the addition), hence I am thinking of getting BenQ W1070 to use for couple of years until better projectors are available for cheaper price.

There will be two rows of seating, projector screen will be on the 13' 10" wall.

I am thinking of going with a 110" screen, can I go bigger than that? 90% of the time I will be watching bluray movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting485 View Post
We are building an addition to our house and under that contractor will dig a new basement, I will be using this basement as a dedicated home theater, there won't be any windows and I can control the light.

Basement size is 13 ' 10" x 16' 6" (drywall to drywall).

Budget is tight (already spend too much money for the addition), hence I am thinking of getting BenQ W1070 to use for couple of years until better projectors are available for cheaper price.

There will be two rows of seating, projector screen will be on the 13' 10" wall.

I am thinking of going with a 110" screen, can I go bigger than that? 90% of the time I will be watching bluray movies.
I see no reason why you can't go to 120 inches... I sit 11 feet away from one and it's perfect for me. best bet is to get the projector. set it up where you want and project on a blank wall. see how big is just right for you
post #3 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here's a useful tool you can use to get a rough idea for what size screen you can manage and at what distances. Plugging in your information BenQ W1000+ at a projection distance of 15' 6" you get a maximum diagonal of 123". You can fiddle with the numbers and projector placement in the calculator some to see what works best. Of course, there will be variations once things are installed, but they will still be close.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

I was a bit concerned with the seating distance recommendation for a 120 inch screen, as per the calculator, recommended seating distance is around 12' . My front row will be a bit closer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ProjectorCalculator.jpg (99.5 KB, 12 views)
post #5 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I agree with wormraper. Try using the wall as a screen to find the size that is right for you. Also, keep in mind that the aspect ratio will change when you are watching blu-rays, so a 110 inch 16:9 screen might seem big, but use a blu-ray and you will wish you had gone bigger.

Since the contractor is doing the room for you you, you might want to use projector central as a source for painting a screen wall. Get a gallon of "screen" paint ($69 or so) and have the contractor spray the wall you plan on putting the screen on. Use it for a while, to see what size works for you, and then get your screen and paint the wall a darker color to reduce "light reflection". In my case, I never bought the screen and we still use the wall.

Last night we were watching "Epic vacation homes" and in one home they had spent 1.5 mil on a theater room with a small screen (110 or 120 inch screen). My 18 year old daughter (who was on the treadmill watching - ours is not a home theater room but a media/game/exercise room) pointed out that our image (169 inches) was much better than the 1.5 mil in terms of size.

In the 16 x 19ish room, we started with a 70 inch tv...jumped to a PJ with a 92 screen...painted the wall and went to 120 inches....then 150...now with a better pj and more painting we are up to 169 inches which is the max for the room... i.e.no more wall.

We sit back 14 to 16 feet...but on the couch while laying down the viewing distance is about 12 to 14. I move up a chair for "hit you in the face" 3d to about 10 to12 feet and cannot see the pixels. On the treadmill and "step" machine the viewing distance is about 8 feet and we are fine with image/experience...but it is a mater of "taste" so try it first.

Last edited by steve1106; 07-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Your room should be able to support a screen up to 145" while still leaving space on each side for speakers and roughly 6" above and 18" below the screen if you're building with an 8' ceiling. The w1070 is plenty bright enough for that size as well.

Do you know about how far the rear seats will be from the back wall?
Getting the screen last is good advice. Once you've got your seating planned out, I would start estimating screen size so that its width is about equal to your first rows eye-to-screen distance and at least 2/3 as wide as the distance to your back row..but there are actual builders and installers on here with better experience, so take theirs if there's conflicting advice.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks Guys,

I was a bit concerned with the seating distance recommendation for a 120 inch screen, as per the calculator, recommended seating distance is around 12' . My front row will be a bit closer.
With a decent PJ like the Benq W1070 the picture will look great even from about 7 feet away. If you really want a full enveloping movie experience bigger is always better, most of the time.lol
I have an Optoma HD131xe that I bought from BestBuy for $729 with a 120" screen and occasionally I'll move up to about 8 feet away to watch a nice scifi movie and it looks great. If you're going to mount you PJ on the back wall you could easily increase the screen size to 150" and have a great picture.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Do you know about how far the rear seats will be from the back wall?
As I don't have too much room, I am thinking of keeping the rear seats as close to the wall as possible.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Ftoast is right you should listen to the experts. (After going really cheap with a PJ, I found the forum and corrected my mistake.)

(Experts don't hate me, but I like to offer another opinion...maybe not the right one, but it works for me i.e. "little/cheap/lazy guy".)

I'm sure the guy I mentioned before listened to the experts on his 1.5 million dollar theater (with a small screen which is probably the perfect size for his set up but not very impressive...I would have saved the money and got the biggest possible TV if I was going that small), but you are not spending that amount of money. Let your eyes drive the size and screen placement.

Image height/position, projector position and seating distance are great if you are going to follow the AV guidelines for the perfect room. (It is kind of like the Pirates Code from the first Pirates movie ....I think of it as more of a guideline and not a hard and fast rule with a inexpensive projector/room.)

In my room if you do the math, I would need to be back 29ish feet from a 169 inch image. On my cheap build thread, I have a photo that I took at 30 feet back comparing my 70 inch TV to a 160ish image in my family room. (I attached one taken at 22 feet. This is in my family room using my cheap first "SVGA" projector. Edit: Well, I had it here for a moment.)

In our price point, just a plain wall (this is on an off white wall original to the house - taken at night with about the worst possible pj and the worst possible set up of just projecting on a wall) looks amazing. Edited: I should have added in terms of size and "bang for the buck".

Last edited by steve1106; 07-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
As I don't have too much room, I am thinking of keeping the rear seats as close to the wall as possible.
I would definitely consider going for maximum screen size then, with the back seats around 15-16' back I'd suggest at least a 10'wide screen (about 135") and going bigger would still be totally reasonable.

I'll also throw in as another voice saying a fairly smooth wall that's painted flat white makes a fantastic screen in a dark room. The large size coupled with flat paints ability to hide imperfections makes it an easy go-to for many and you'll have fresh paint going on anyway.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Wow. I thought I would get yelled at. Thanks for respecting my opinion...for what it is. Only my opinion as a recent addition to the forum and projectors, but I do think that some people (forum members) wish they had gone bigger in the first place because you quickly become use to the size of your image. ( I am not sure what is going on with photos or maybe "me" tonight, but no luck with adding a new one.)
post #12 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered BenQ from Amazon yesterday, will try to see how big a projector screen I can get from a viewing distance of 10'.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From 10 feet away the W1070 will project an image from 92" to 120" diagonally. The 120" size would be at the end of the zoom range. If you move the PJ back to 11 feet the available range is 101" to 131". From 12 feet it is 110" to 144". For reference, a 138" screen with a 16:9 ratio would be 10 feet wide.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #14 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I think he's talking about viewing the screen from 10' away, not putting the projector 10' away.

That's the right plan. You have a lot of personal preference on all of this. Middle of theater feel puts the screen width at .66x your viewing distance. So, with a 10' viewing distance, 'center of theater' has a 80" wide screen, or about a 92" diagonal. But, really, that leans very small and I would consider your prime seats to be the rear seats in the room, which are about 15' eyes to screen, which ups everything to a 10' wide screen, or about a 138" diagonal.

The W1070 can hit about any size you end up with in your room, but power and cabling placement is important.

At the end of all of this, while this is good to think of now, you also need to consider equipment placement, speaker wiring, subwoofer location(s), lighting, colors, etc. If you have some say in ceiling height, it may come in handy to have 9' or 10' ceilings if you can do them as it helps to open up options in the setup.

Starting with a white wall and seeing the size you like. Having the projector now and checking sizes out is great, but mostly helps in your decision of where to place the projector outlets in the room.

You still need to look at things like making sure you run conduit to that projector location. Perhaps running conduit and cabling in such a manner that you can get to locations closer and further from the screen.

Don't focus just on the projector placement and screen size. Spend time thinking about the entire room, and where everything is going to go. Take advantage of the drywall being down and run the proper cabling as well as conduit.

I would likely lean towards a 135" diagonal, and the front seats will be like sitting more towards the front of a theater. A nice big screen for the back seats, a bigger screen for the front seats.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I think he's talking about viewing the screen from 10' away, not putting the projector 10' away.

At the end of all of this, while this is good to think of now, you also need to consider equipment placement, speaker wiring, subwoofer location(s), lighting, colors, etc. If you have some say in ceiling height, it may come in handy to have 9' or 10' ceilings if you can do them as it helps to open up options in the setup.

You still need to look at things like making sure you run conduit to that projector location. Perhaps running conduit and cabling in such a manner that you can get to locations closer and further from the screen.

Don't focus just on the projector placement and screen size. Spend time thinking about the entire room, and where everything is going to go. Take advantage of the drywall being down and run the proper cabling as well as conduit.

I would likely lean towards a 135" diagonal, and the front seats will be like sitting more towards the front of a theater. A nice big screen for the back seats, a bigger screen for the front seats.
Thanks, I was talking about the viewing distance from 10'. Since this is a new room being built, I will be going with a 7.1 system, will be running speaker wires and cable for projector through conduits, I don't have big budget for speakers, I am thinking of either going with the Infinity system (P363 for fronts,PC351 for center and P163 for surrounds), the other system which is in my budget is BIC Acoustech (PL-89 for fronts, PL-28II for center and PL-66 for surrounds), I will be putting surround speakers in columns (2 on the side between front and back row and 2 in the columns behind back row).

Which do you think will be good system? Infinity or BIC?

For subwoofer, thinking of using BIC PL-200 if I went with BIC, otherwise with Infinity I am thinking of using my current polk PSW350.

Receiver I have not decided yet, thinking of going with the Denon AVR-X2000.

I have a budget of around 2000 for equipment (speakers,receiver and sub). Feel free to suggest any other combination. This will be my first home theater.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thanks, I was talking about the viewing distance from 10'. Since this is a new room being built, I will be going with a 7.1 system, will be running speaker wires and cable for projector through conduits, I don't have big budget for speakers, I am thinking of either going with the Infinity system (P363 for fronts,PC351 for center and P163 for surrounds), the other system which is in my budget is BIC Acoustech (PL-89 for fronts, PL-28II for center and PL-66 for surrounds), I will be putting surround speakers in columns (2 on the side between front and back row and 2 in the columns behind back row).

Which do you think will be good system? Infinity or BIC?

For subwoofer, thinking of using BIC PL-200 if I went with BIC, otherwise with Infinity I am thinking of using my current polk PSW350.

Receiver I have not decided yet, thinking of going with the Denon AVR-X2000.

I have a budget of around 2000 for equipment (speakers,receiver and sub). Feel free to suggest any other combination. This will be my first home theater.
i have the infinity 360 speakers and the 150s for surrounds. they've served me well for about 8 years now. still love 'em with no great urge to upgrade. they're really nice for music as well. i've never heard the BICs so can't speak to those. looks like you are building a fun room there. good luck! oh, and fwiw, my room is virtually the same size as yours. i have a 110" screen. it's a nice size but sometimes i wonder what a 120"er would look like
post #17 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Got the BenQ W1070 from amazon and tried it in basement on a light yellow colored wall, picture quality is excellent and so is the sharpness, currently projector is on floor and from about 11-12 feet I can project an image about 120 inch in size (diagonally), I think I will go with you guys suggestion and order at least 135-140 inch screen for my dedicated theatre room.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page