LG PF85U LED Projector - So many questions, please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG PF85U LED Projector - So many questions, please help.

I'm desperate for information concerning the new LG LED projectors. I am new to the projector world, but after purchasing the LG PA77U, I am now hooked! I absolutely love projecting movies and games. My big decision now is whether or not to upgrade to from the PA77U to the PF85U. I can't seem to find any reviews or feedback that really helpful outside of the one on Projector Central here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/lg_p...=LEDs-vs-lamps

My hope for a projector is one that can replace my TV. I love the instant on feature of LED's projectors and low fan noise. Since this will be placed in my man cave, the lower heat output al is also a nice feature of LED. I will be projecting about 82-84" and will be using it to watch TV, Movies, and play games (Xbox1/PS4) from a distance of about 6-8 feet away. Since I will have a spot for it, zoom is not a need as well.

So again my biggest question is an upgrade from the 720p PA77U to PF85U worth almost double the price (paid $629 for the 77U, the 85U is in sale for $1199)? Since the 85U is not 3D, will it have worse imput lag than the 77U? I have no issues will imput lag on the 77U, so I don't see why the upgraded 1080P would be an issue. Is fan noise louder on the 85U? I know people are in love with the Benq W1070 and I'm sure it produces a superior image, but I feel like the PF85U would serve as a better TV replacement in smaller room (Heat, fan noise, many extended hours of it being on).

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by KingGiant; 07-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 178
There is a dedicated thread about it and its twin the pf80 (the thread is labeled as the pf80). Is there any particular reason you're looking to change from the 77? The 85 has the resolution increase, but you may or may not notice that depending how much bluray viewing you do and how close you sit to the screen. The upgrade IS a fairly subtle one especially considering it's about twice the price.
If you are pretty good'n'happy with your pa77, I'd wait another year for the newer version of the pf80 WITH 3D to come out and the price to drop a little bit.

The noise and lag is the same or very very close, so no worries there but I'd still hold off for as long as you can stand it.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
this thread about pf80g/pf85u

or if you can wait for the pf87u with 3d
post #4 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
There is a dedicated thread about it and its twin the pf80 (the thread is labeled as the pf80). Is there any particular reason you're looking to change from the 77? The 85 has the resolution increase, but you may or may not notice that depending how much bluray viewing you do and how close you sit to the screen. The upgrade IS a fairly subtle one especially considering it's about twice the price.
If you are pretty good'n'happy with your pa77, I'd wait another year for the newer version of the pf80 WITH 3D to come out and the price to drop a little bit.

The noise and lag is the same or very very close, so no worries there but I'd still hold off for as long as you can stand it.
Great, thanks guys for the quick responses. I'll pour over the content of the other thread. I have 30 days to return the 77U, so I wanted to be sure. I do watch a good amount of Blu-Ray movies, but wasn't sure if I would get that "wow" factor from jumping up to 1080P on a projector.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, in that case I'd probably return it while you can and get the 87 when it reaches your region. It should be a 3D enabled 80/85 so it'll have a slight resolution boost, contrast boost, and more accurate out-of-the-box colors compared to the pa77.

I'd say it's too little an upgrade if you already have the pa77 and would have both, but sending the 77 back to get the 87 makes sense as long as the price-tag isn't too painful. You'll have to go without a projector for a while most likely, but it's something to consider.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, in that case I'd probably return it while you can and get the 87 when it reaches your region. It should be a 3D enabled 80/85 so it'll have a slight resolution boost, contrast boost, and more accurate out-of-the-box colors compared to the pa77.

I'd say it's too little an upgrade if you already have the pa77 and would have both, but sending the 77 back to get the 87 makes sense as long as the price-tag isn't too painful. You'll have to go without a projector for a while most likely, but it's something to consider.
The 87 sounds nice but isn't that 6 months to a year away at least? If the 85U hit the market in April, would LG release an upgrade only a couple months later? Would 3D be a firmware upgrade on 85U in the future or is it pure hardware?
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point, I'm not sure how long you'd have to go without a projector while you wait.

The 80/85 (most any DLP as far as I know, really) is capable of dlp-link 3D because it is very simple software, BUT LG will NOT upgrade the 80/85 software (and remote..replace with one with a 3D on/off button). They released the 77 with working Netflix without updating the 75 which was originally advertised as having built-in Netflix though it didn't work properly. LG has a somewhat poor record of projector software/firmware updates and I would only expect what's there when you bought it despite abilities or even promises (which there are none in this case).

You could keep the 77 for a couple years and see what comes down the road after even the 87..they might bring a big enough collection of updates to the design to temp you to upgrade without a second thought by then. I'd also expect there to be more competition by then and the prices may be closer to $1000 rather than $1200.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

You're right, it seems LG would rather just release an update machine than updated software. I guess it makes sense to move projectors, just release the same projector with firmware updates and call it new.

I think I may end up going for the 85U, as I do watch a lot of BluRays, and Projector Central rated the 85U as a top 10 home theater projector.

Thanks for all the info, it has been really helpful.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 366
The Projector Central 'Top 10' list, is not based upon quality, it is based upon popularity. The number of people who look at the projector when on the Projector Central website is what determines the 'top 10' list. So, you have to go by reviews, not by that particular popularity contest.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that is good to know. So is the 4.5 star rating really good for that site, or is it like some sites where everyone gets scored highly really easily?
post #11 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I was going to point out that the default sort of Top 10 projectors on Projector Central is by popularity, but that there was an option to change the sort to Projector Central's review scores. I swear I've done that in the past. But I just went back to Projector Central to check and found that option is not available. Am I hallucinating or has Projector Central dropped that option in the past few weeks?
post #12 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs up Tough decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGiant View Post
I'm desperate for information concerning the new LG LED projectors. I am new to the projector world, but after purchasing the LG PA77U, I am now hooked! I absolutely love projecting movies and games. My big decision now is whether or not to upgrade to from the PA77U to the PF85U. I can't seem to find any reviews or feedback that really helpful outside of the one on Projector Central here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/lg_p...=LEDs-vs-lamps

My hope for a projector is one that can replace my TV. I love the instant on feature of LED's projectors and low fan noise. Since this will be placed in my man cave, the lower heat output al is also a nice feature of LED. I will be projecting about 82-84" and will be using it to watch TV, Movies, and play games (Xbox1/PS4) from a distance of about 6-8 feet away. Since I will have a spot for it, zoom is not a need as well.

So again my biggest question is an upgrade from the 720p PA77U to PF85U worth almost double the price (paid $629 for the 77U, the 85U is in sale for $1199)? Since the 85U is not 3D, will it have worse imput lag than the 77U? I have no issues will imput lag on the 77U, so I don't see why the upgraded 1080P would be an issue. Is fan noise louder on the 85U? I know people are in love with the Benq W1070 and I'm sure it produces a superior image, but I feel like the PF85U would serve as a better TV replacement in smaller room (Heat, fan noise, many extended hours of it being on).

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
Pardon me for not referring to you by name, couldn't find it!
Choosing between these 2 units is really a tough decision since they are both very similar units and if you have enjoyed the PA77U so far, if you decide to upgrade to the PF85U, you will enjoy it just as much if not more for it's brighter picture!
Both units are DLP projectors which produce a theater-like picture. The differences between the PA77U and the PF85U are that the 85U has a better speaker system at 5W versus 3W, now if you're going through your AV system, that will not be a big thing.
The 85U is a brighter picture at up to 1000 Ansi Lumens V 700 Ansi Lumens for the 77U. The 85U projects a larger picture of up to 120" whereas the 77U gives up to 100". What you have in the way of connectivity on the 85U that is not on the 77U is the "Phone to Component input" and the 85U has one more HDMI input and one more USB input.
You do loose the 3D on the 85U, it's also a heavier unit at 4.8lbs. V 3.1 lbs. and is a bigger unit (W X H X D) 10.8" x 1.8" x 8.6" and for the 77U the dimensions are 9.05" x 6.69" x 1.73".
If you are energy conscious, the last thing to consider would be energy consumption where for the 85U it is 160W and for the 77U it is 130W.
If you would like to look all this information over and compare the units, click on the following link:http://www.lg.com/us/compare/compare.../us/projectors...

Last edited by LGElectronics; 07-11-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: link can be clicked
post #13 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a lot of misinformation in the above post. The measured brightness between these two models is the same in the more accurate modes and basically the same in most everything else..the brightest the 80/85 was measured is around 700lumens.

Phones use either hdmi/mhl (both 77 and 80/85 have hdmi and a usb) or 3pin rca which both projectors have once again.

You won't use a second USB unless you plan on using both a thumbdrive and an external wireless via USB with a projector that already includes built-in wireless.

The speaker upgrade will likely not be noticed between the likelihood of them not being used at all coupled with the 77's already being very good (as far as built-ins) and the increase is more likely an unrealistic spec-on-paper bump than a noticeable increase.

The energy ratings are kind of silly and kind of meaningless unless you are running both projectors at max (poorly calibrated) brightness and high volume with built-in speakers. Even then, the difference is minimal.

The 80/85 also lacks the VGA/monitor-input port of the previous models along with 3D, which is kind of a bummer.

The extra hdmi is welcome, measured contrast jumps from a slightly below average 900:1 up to an above average 1450:1. RGB colorpoints (particularly green) are more accurate on the 80/85 as well which improves the picture in default settings as well as custom.

The jump to 1080 is also accompanied by a focus-wheel that will focus out to a larger screen where the 75 (and likely 77) seem to stop around 100-110" and are the ONLY projectors I've found that run out of focus on the wheel. Not that this affects you at your present size, but it may in the future.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-11-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome post Ftoast! Great information. This clears up a bunch of information for me. I am actually only running in 84" screen indoors and a 92" outdoors, so I don't have a need to jump up to 120". I don't have any issues with mine dropping out of focus, which I hear is a common problem with these projectors, so I guess I am just lucky. Video games look great on the 77, I was considering the 85 for BluRays, as 77 is just average in terms of picture quality. I don't plan on ever using DLP link 3D, so that is not a factor in my decision.

My thought process was, get the nice performance of the 77 with added 1080p performance, how can I go wrong? I am planning on using this as a TV replacement for the next couple years, so I believe I would the get the use out of the 1080p upgrade. I just didnt want to trade game performance (impute lag for example) for resolution. Since they seem to be widely the same projector and I have no issues gaming on the 77, the 85 seems like a great fit.

I really appreciate you clearing these things up for me Ftoast.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. Far as I know, if you don't need 3D, vga, or placement zoom, the pf80/85 is hard to beat until you get to the $2000+ projectors and give up LED or go to $3500 and give up portability and wireless.

I'm very glad it kept the coaxial for tv and boxless cable.

The focus dropout is mostly a problem for folks that refocus the ojector as soon as it's on. If you've focused it a bit later (10-15minutes) you shouldn't ever have to refocus from a mount..it'll just be soft for the first 10-15minutes until it's warmed up.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-12-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
There is a lot of misinformation in the above post. The measured brightness between these two models is the same in the more accurate modes and basically the same in most everything else..the brightest the 80/85 was measured is around 700lumens.

Phones use either hdmi/mhl (both 77 and 80/85 have hdmi and a usb) or 3pin rca which both projectors have once again.

You won't use a second USB unless you plan on using both a thumbdrive and an external wireless via USB with a projector that already includes built-in wireless.

The speaker upgrade will likely not be noticed between the likelihood of them not being used at all coupled with the 77's already being very good (as far as built-ins) and the increase is more likely an unrealistic spec-on-paper bump than a noticeable increase.

The energy ratings are kind of silly and kind of meaningless unless you are running both projectors at max (poorly calibrated) brightness and high volume with built-in speakers. Even then, the difference is minimal.

The 80/85 also lacks the VGA/monitor-input port of the previous models along with 3D, which is kind of a bummer.

The extra hdmi is welcome, measured contrast jumps from a slightly below average 900:1 up to an above average 1450:1. RGB colorpoints (particularly green) are more accurate on the 80/85 as well which improves the picture in default settings as well as custom.

The jump to 1080 is also accompanied by a focus-wheel that will focus out to a larger screen where the 75 (and likely 77) seem to stop around 100-110" and are the ONLY projectors I've found that run out of focus on the wheel. Not that this affects you at your present size, but it may in the future.
Thanks for that info. Other than the higher resolution (which I read is somewhat compromised due to the optics), the benefit of the 80/85 seems mainly the increased contrast, at least for my usage. I have owned the PA70g since it was released ($450 from Frys Electronics), been very happy with it in terms of price/performance/fun, and probably will stick with it a while longer. A lot of my content is below Blu-ray res, but when I do play a higher res 720/1080p, it is a noticeable difference (better looking) on the PA70g.

I do long for the day though, when we get a decent priced LED light source unit having 1080p with improved optics. I would like to see an LED projector less concerned with small size/portability, maybe that would allow for larger optics and more home theater qualities. But for marketing purposes, seems like the manufacturers still want to couple LED with small projector sizes, going for the portable segment.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
led , pa77u , pf85u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page