Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
OPTOMA HD26 New entry level Full Hd DLP projector

Brightness : 3200 Ansi Lumens
Resolution : full HD 1920 x 1080p / Support WUXGA/60Hz
Contrast : 22000:1
Inputs : HDMI 1.4a x1; MHL/HDMI x1; Mini jack Audio out x1; 3D VESA port x1; + 12V Replay out put x1; USB (service) x1.
Gewicht :2,5 Kg
3D RF

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...0/optoma-hd26/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
So, after a year of review after review talking about how the W1070 has really good color accuracy, mostly due to the RGB/RGB color wheel with the higher color wheel speed, Optoma responds with another 4x RGBCYW color wheel entry level model?

I don't get it.

Their existing lineup is very good, but the most significant improvement they could have made would have been with the different color wheel.

Ah well, I guess they get to advertise more white lumens which is next to meaningless in home theater use.

I'm disappointed on this one. Sometimes manufacturers just don't seem to listen.
Ftoast likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
So, after a year of review after review talking about how the W1070 has really good color accuracy, mostly due to the RGB/RGB color wheel with the higher color wheel speed, Optoma responds with another 4x RGBCYW color wheel entry level model?

I don't get it.

Ah well, I guess they get to advertise more white lumens which is next to meaningless in home theater use.

A lot of people see the higher lumen count and simply don't know any better.

The other 'benefit' of using a wheel with a clear (White) segment is that it allows for cheaper, dimmer, lower-powered lamps; so perhaps manufacturing cost is a factor.

These so-called '3000-lumen' projectors often use 190W bulbs; compared to the 240W bulb used by the both the BenQ W1070 and original (but discontinued) Optoma HD25. Not the current HD25e; though - which I think a lot of people confuse it with. Marketing at its best; since the HD25 was very color-accurate: unlike the HD25e...

Of course it all amounts to nothing since the resulting brightness ends up (as expected) being much, much lower than advertised once calibrated - and accurate calibration is often not even possible with such a wheel.
But hey: as long as it looks good on the spec-sheet!
Mfusick and AV_Integrated like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #4 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A quick question. Can you point me to any information that current line-up of Optoma entry-level projectors ( e.g. HD25*) have 4x RGBCYW color wheel? I have been trying to get this information, and the closest I came up with is that they are 2x speed. Thanks!

Quote:

I don't get it.

Their existing lineup is very good, but the most significant improvement they could have made would have been with the different color wheel.

I'm disappointed on this one. Sometimes manufacturers just don't seem to listen.
post #5 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't get it.

And if BenQ would drop DLP link for 3D and jump on the RF 3D bandwagon, I would be all over one of their projectors!

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #6 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post
And if BenQ would drop DLP link for 3D and jump on the RF 3D bandwagon, I would be all over one of their projectors!

I agree: and this was actually one of my reasons for seriously considering the original HD25 (not the downgrade 'e' model) when it was launched. They were very-much neck-and-neck.

In the end, I went with the W1070 because it's throw ratio suited my room better and I knew I'd need the lens shift.

Ultimately, it hardly matters: 3D ended up accounting for only a tiny fraction of my viewing and it's still mighty impressive indeed on the W1070 - despite DLP-Link being the means of synchronization.
On the Optoma, I'd also have had to purchase a transmitter if I wanted to use RF. Not really worth it.

And as a bonus, DLP-Link glasses can be had for pretty cheap thanks to their popularity.

Regardless, the W1070 is generally critically acclaimed for its above-average 3D performance.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #7 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
A lot of people see the higher lumen count and simply don't know any better.

The other 'benefit' of using a wheel with a clear (White) segment is that it allows for cheaper, dimmer, lower-powered lamps; so perhaps manufacturing cost is a factor.

These so-called '3000-lumen' projectors often use 190W bulbs; compared to the 240W bulb used by the both the BenQ W1070 and original (but discontinued) Optoma HD25. Not the current HD25e; though - which I think a lot of people confuse it with. Marketing at its best; since the HD25 was very color-accurate: unlike the HD25e...

Of course it all amounts to nothing since the resulting brightness ends up (as expected) being much, much lower than advertised once calibrated - and accurate calibration is often not even possible with such a wheel.
But hey: as long as it looks good on the spec-sheet!
HD25-LV or HD25? The LV is 240watt. Im wondering I want to upgrade but my old 720p HD65 is still pumping along.
post #8 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post
HD25-LV or HD25? The LV is 240watt. Im wondering I want to upgrade but my old 720p HD65 is still pumping along.

HD25 was 240W with an RGB/RGB color-wheel.
HD25-LV is 240W with an RYGCWB color-wheel.
HD25e is 190W with an RYGCWB color-wheel.
HD131xe is 190W with an RYGCWB color-wheel.
(No, I haven't figured out the real-world difference between those last two either! )

RYGCWB color wheels are a poor choice for color accuracy as the 'White' (W) segment artificially boosts whites (and claimed lumen output) at the expense of other colors.

Last edited by kreeturez; 07-12-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: RGBCYW re-ordered to RYGCWB
post #9 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
HD25 was 240W with an RGB/RGB color-wheel.
HD25-LV is 240W with an RGBCYW color-wheel.
HD25e is 190W with an RGBCYW color-wheel.
HD131xe is 190W with an RGBCYW color-wheel.
(No, I haven't figured out the real-world difference between those last two either! )

RGBCYW color wheels are a poor choice for color accuracy.
Oh ok I see they did that to boost lumens now I get it. Maybe Ill get a used HD25 or the BenQ W1070.

Last edited by pimpology26; 07-10-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #10 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I replaced my 6 year old HD65 a few weeks ago with a W1070. I didn't think it looked that bad. Until I fed them both the same signal through a HDMI splitter and switched between images. I was amazed. I had been an Optoma fan to that point and will consider them again when the time comes. Now I need a bigger screen.

There were a couple of threads on the Optoma HD36 and HD50 that looked promising. Think they're only released in China still. Those specs looked interesting but prices weren't clear. Now that this appears to be the sub-$1,000 entry level offering I think others will be in the $1000-$1500 and $1500-$2000 ranges.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #11 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
I replaced my 6 year old HD65 a few weeks ago with a W1070. I didn't think it looked that bad. Until I fed them both the same signal through a HDMI splitter and switched between images. I was amazed. I had been an Optoma fan to that point and will consider them again when the time comes. Now I need a bigger screen.

There were a couple of threads on the Optoma HD36 and HD50 that looked promising. Think they're only released in China still. Those specs looked interesting but prices weren't clear. Now that this appears to be the sub-$1,000 entry level offering I think others will be in the $1000-$1500 and $1500-$2000 ranges.
Yeah I have a new 8 month old bulb that has 1100 hours on it! I like the cheapo $100 bulbs. Its on a gray screen I painted a long with a room with gray walls. Are the blacks good on the BenQ? They looked good from some pics I saw.
post #12 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilebi View Post
A quick question. Can you point me to any information that current line-up of Optoma entry-level projectors ( e.g. HD25*) have 4x RGBCYW color wheel? I have been trying to get this information, and the closest I came up with is that they are 2x speed. Thanks!
I actually emailed Optoma on this to get this information, which they did send back to me. 2x color wheel for 60hz content, and 4x on 24hz content for their RGBCYW color wheels. Still, they are good looking models, and if you aren't RBE sensitive, they aren't a bad option.

Still, the W1070 has shown time and time again to deliver a better on screen image with solid color brightness that the Optoma models haven't matched in their RGBCYW projectors.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post
I would love to see that happen. Put a 12v trigger, 3D VESA port, and RF 3D on the W1070 and you have a pretty significant upgrade to that model for many people.

Still, after using the EStar glasses and the Sainsonic glasses, I'm not sure I would care about RF. The EStar glasses haven't had any red flash issues compared to the Sainsonics, and they stay in sync... at least with my setup. But, the RF would certainly be a great addition for 3D viewing.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 07-10-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #14 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I would love to see that happen. Put a 12v trigger, 3D VESA port, and RF 3D on the W1070 and you have a pretty significant upgrade to that model for many people.

Still, after using the TESTAR glasses and the Sainsonic glasses, I'm not sure I would care about RF. The TESTAR glasses haven't had any red flash issues compared to the Sainsonics, and they stay in sync... at least with my setup. But, the RF would certainly be a great addition for 3D viewing.
Testar glasses? I cant seem to find any info on those.
post #15 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Still, after using the TESTAR glasses and the Sainsonic glasses, I'm not sure I would care about RF. The TESTAR glasses haven't had any red flash issues compared to the Sainsonics, and they stay in sync... at least with my setup. But, the RF would certainly be a great addition for 3D viewing.
Where do you find info on TESTAR I googled but found nothing.
post #16 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Testar glasses? I cant seem to find any info on those.
I'm sure he meant Estar. I have 7 pairs of RF glasses that I use with my JVC 4810. So, I'm not interested in DLP-link 3D glasses. I love the 4810 for 2D, but I'm interested in a 2nd cheapish DLP projector for 3D. I'm looking for brighter 3D with no ghosting. So, far I've found nothing that fits my room and requirements.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #17 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 931
What other models does this compete with ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #18 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry - Yes, EStar glasses. Edited my post.

http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-...estar+dlp+link

The 3D displays section has a 800+ post thread going on the W1070 glasses.

Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses

Even if someone has RF glasses as mentioned above, there is no guarantee (at all) that JVC compatible RF glasses would work with Optoma, or any other brand which uses RF technology. It would be nice, but RF 3D is not an agreed upon standard like DLP Link is. The one thing I can tell you is that I see zero ghosting and zero red flash with the EStar glasses, and it's a better looking image than I see in theaters using polarized glasses.
kreeturez likes this.

post #19 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
What other models does this compete with ?
Any of the $1,000ish 1080p entry level models is likely the competition...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

But, the W1070 will be the main focus, and I would be very surprised if this reviewed better considering the color wheel being used.

post #20 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #21 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for this...

Confirmed: RGBCYW color wheel mated to a 190W lamp. Why, Optoma!!??

post #22 of 146 Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 172
A bit of a pointless correction, but the 25e/131xe are RGBCYM instead of RGBCYW. It's a small difference, but part of why they're rates around 2500 instead of 3000+ as well as why their BC modes aren't quite as drastic as some. It's still an awful choice in a theater projector, but isn't quite as bright nor cold with its whites.
It's funny to have the phone-help read the service manual specs to you after they've repeatedly quoted 4segment mumbo that not a single product in their entire present collection uses. Sometimes they'll even get a good chuckle out of the misinformation they've been told or guessed. Weird to hear it from people who only sell one product and only a handful of models..you'd think a rep would know a couple standard specs with such a short list, but maybe I don't understand the job.
post #23 of 146 Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
A bit of a pointless correction, but the 25e/131xe are RGBCYM instead of RGBCYW. It's a small difference, but part of why they're rates around 2500 instead of 3000+ as well as why their BC modes aren't quite as drastic as some. It's still an awful choice in a theater projector, but isn't quite as bright nor cold with its whites.
Interesting - you sure about that? (Or rather: is Optoma Support sure about that? )

The reason I ask is that ProjectorReviews managed to pull a maximum of around 1600 lumens of brightness from the HD131xe (which is roughly the same as the W1070)... it wasn't color-accurate of course (unlike the W1070 measurements); and it's nearly 1000 lumens short of the claimed brightness (this is why Epson touts their silly CLO measurement so much!) - but the real question is: how do you get that kind of brightness with just a 190W bulb, if you're not supplementing it with a white/clear segment?

post #24 of 146 Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting - you sure about that? (Or rather: is Optoma Support sure about that? )

The reason I ask is that ProjectorReviews managed to pull a maximum of around 1600 lumens of brightness from the HD131xe (which is roughly the same as the W1070)... it wasn't color-accurate of course (unlike the W1070 measurements); and it's nearly 1000 lumens short of the claimed brightness (this is why Epson touts their silly CLO measurement so much!) - but the real question is: how do you get that kind of brightness with just a 190W bulb, if you're not supplementing it with a white/clear segment?
The 'C' is not for Cyan - It's for clear. They have a clear segment for sure. I believe this has been confirmed a number of times. Pretty sure on this.

post #25 of 146 Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 AM

That is interesting, that 'C' is not for cyan, but for clear. I was led to believe that W is for clear (i.e. white). Do you recall where you got this information?

Adding to the earlier discussion by kreeturez, my research additionally shows there are two other Optoma projectors in the same HD25*family with 240W bulbs, similar to the original HD25. They are EH300 and DH1011, rated for 3000 and 3500 lumens respectively. The good news is that unlike the original HD25, these two projectors are still in production. The bad news is that there are hardly any reviews online on their true brightness and color accuracy.

Now the open question is - what kind of color wheels do these two projectors have i.e. RGBCYW or RGBRGB. It would seem RGBCYW based on high lumens rating, but it would be great to confirm. AV_Integrated, do you think you can use your contact at Optoma to find this information on DH1011 and EH300?

Quote:
The 'C' is not for Cyan - It's for clear. They have a clear segment for sure. I believe this has been confirmed a number of times. Pretty sure on this.
post #26 of 146 Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is interesting, that 'C' is not for cyan, but for clear. I was led to believe that W is for clear (i.e. white). Do you recall where you got this information?
I had to do a search, but it appears that was part of the email to tech support I sent to Optoma about their color wheels about six months or so ago. I will have to dig through my old emails to find out what they specifically said, and I do leave it in the realm of possibility that the information was incorrect. I certainly haven't pulled one apart to look at the color wheel, so I would be happy to be corrected by someone who has seen one first hand.

Quote:
Adding to the earlier discussion by kreeturez, my research additionally shows there are two other Optoma projectors in the same HD25*family with 240W bulbs, similar to the original HD25. They are EH300 and DH1011, rated for 3000 and 3500 lumens respectively. The good news is that unlike the original HD25, these two projectors are still in production. The bad news is that there are hardly any reviews online on their true brightness and color accuracy.

Now the open question is - what kind of color wheels do these two projectors have i.e. RGBCYW or RGBRGB. It would seem RGBCYW based on high lumens rating, but it would be great to confirm. AV_Integrated, do you think you can use your contact at Optoma to find this information on DH1011 and EH300?
I will try to find that old email. I asked specifically about RGB/RGB color wheels in use with Optoma projectors, and I got a specific response as to which models carried that color wheel. I don't remember which ones they were off the top of my head. I will (hopefully remember to) return with the contents of that email.

post #27 of 146 Old 07-11-2014, 12:29 PM

That would be super awesome, if you can find that old email, about which Optoma projectors have RGB/RGB color wheels!

I am looking forward to your response back on this thread.

Quote:
I had to do a search, but it appears that was part of the email to tech support I sent to Optoma about their color wheels about six months or so ago. I will have to dig through my old emails to find out what they specifically said, and I do leave it in the realm of possibility that the information was incorrect. I certainly haven't pulled one apart to look at the color wheel, so I would be happy to be corrected by someone who has seen one first hand.

I will try to find that old email. I asked specifically about RGB/RGB color wheels in use with Optoma projectors, and I got a specific response as to which models carried that color wheel. I don't remember which ones they were off the top of my head. I will (hopefully remember to) return with the contents of that email.
post #28 of 146 Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would be super awesome, if you can find that old email, about which Optoma projectors have RGB/RGB color wheels!

I am looking forward to your response back on this thread.
This was actually the email I received.

"All of our current HT projectors have a 2x 6-segment (RYGCWB) color wheel. There are 2 exceptions. The HD30B has a 2x 6-segment (RGBRGB) color wheel and the HD8300 has a 6x 6-segment (RGBRGB) color wheel. I hope this helps."

So, the claimed color wheel standard does not have 'C' as clear, but most were reported to be using a white (clear) segment. Only the HD8300 was reported with the 6x, RGB/RGB color wheel.

Makes absolutely no sense to me at all for a projector company to be so limited on using quality color wheels at this point in the game.

post #29 of 146 Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This was actually the email I received.

"All of our current HT projectors have a 2x 6-segment (RYGCWB) color wheel. There are 2 exceptions. The HD30B has a 2x 6-segment (RGBRGB) color wheel and the HD8300 has a 6x 6-segment (RGBRGB) color wheel. I hope this helps."

So, the claimed color wheel standard does not have 'C' as clear, but most were reported to be using a white (clear) segment. Only the HD8300 was reported with the 6x, RGB/RGB color wheel.
That's almost exactly the layout that we thought; just with the wheel-colors in a different order.

I've edited my original post to reflect this.

Quote:
Put a 12v trigger, 3D VESA port, and RF 3D on the W1070 and you have a pretty significant upgrade to that model for many people.
The W1070 already has a 12V trigger on the back panel

But yeah, a bit of extra 3D support - ideally via a VESA connection (standards and all - never trust compatibility of a built-in RF emitter!) would be nice...

Last edited by kreeturez; 07-12-2014 at 10:28 PM.
post #30 of 146 Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Also HD25-LV has RGBRGB wheel unlike HD25e which is similar to HD131. that is what I saw from a chinese website
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page