Quiet secondary projector for gaming and casual TV viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quiet secondary projector for gaming and casual TV viewing

I am looking for secondary projector suggestions (price ~$1200 or less new or used) to complement my JVC RS4910 for the primary purpose of gaming and secondary purpose for casual TV viewing particularly for my wife/kids who would be free to burn hours on the cheaper projector.

The selection criteria:
  • virtually silent operation, similar to my RS4910 in low lamp -- a hush box is not an option
  • low input lag, no more than about 40 ms -- the JVC is 120+ ms
  • minimum throw ratio between ~1.3 to ~1.65
  • nice to have: light frame interpolation for the casual TV viewing
  • nice to have: 70%+ vertical lens shift (20% of image height)

I had checked out the Benq W1070, and while the input lag is great, it is waaay too loud even in economic mode (to me) particularly for the casual TV viewing scenario. I understand the Optoma HD131Xe/25e is somewhat quieter but I expect it is still too loud. The Sony HW40ES is out of the price range at $2k. The only other option I've considered is maybe a used Panasonic AE8000/AE7000?

Any other suggestions?

- Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Epson 8345 was my first thought. Otherwise you are asking for a lot of features for the money, and that's just not there yet.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
There is a planar PD8150 on ebay that is over priced and should come down.. Should sell someplace between $1200-1800. Bare lamps are $174 and there are instructions with pictures in the > $3000 forum on replacing the bare lamp in the main PD8150 thread. Mine sits just behind my head and I do not hear it on low lamp with sound at normal TV volume, i.e. you can talk to anyone in the room without yelling.. Not mine, no experience with seller other than I mailed him about the typical selling price and I think he will probably relist it .. also a Runco LS5 that is over priced and had not sold in 2 auctions with the max bid being $1300.. They are the same machine with different names.. Just something to watch in the used market.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input @AV_Integrated and @airscapes

My selection criteria has evolved, and now I'm focusing on projectors that have at least 33% offset/shift above the image due to some tricky placement in my room where the 4910 is reflecting off a first surface mirror to support my CIH habit (long story...) Anyways, from my research so far the following have sufficient offset/shift and also have good gaming lag, but all seem to be 3+ years old models, are there newer/other projectors I should be considering?
  • Panasonic AE7000/8000 -- mostly out of the price range for this use case and OEM lamp assemblies are a bit pricey for the casual use scenario
  • Epson 8345 -- trying to stay away from LCD blur and I'm concerned about the lamp life reports on the 8350, but very low noise is a big plus
  • Mitsubishi HC4000/HC7900 -- I apparently missed the great sales on these, could pick up something used but it concerns me that there already seems to be few/no sources for OEM lamp+housing, also @coderguy 's report of high RBE
  • Viewsonic Pro8200 -- the current winner by default, detractors include reports about crushed blacks in certain YCrCb/RGB modes

Again trying to stay under $1200 but would prefer $800 or less.

- Jeff

Last edited by jjcook; Yesterday at 11:57 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Epson 2030 has low input lag and it's $850. It might be a little louder though. But it might be your best compromise option right now.

post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post
The Epson 2030 has low input lag and it's $850. It might be a little louder though. But it might be your best compromise option right now.
Thanks @Tigerriot but from what I can tell the 2030 needs to be about 8% within the image area.

- Jeff
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page