First timer needs help setting up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First timer needs help setting up

I'm about to purchase my first projector and need some help with setting it all up. I'm looking at an Optoma h180x and it only has 1 hdmi input. I'm going to purchase a Sony bluray theater system Bvdn7100 that has multiple hdmi inputs and 1 output. My question is... can I connect my cable box to the bluray player and view a tv signal on my projector? I've never bought an all inclusive system like this and don't know if this will work. In the end I want to be able to eventually watch TV on the projector and the sound coming through the sony speakers that are connected to the bluray player. Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Absolutely, so long as the system you buy has an hdmi input, it will output that signal. The sound from the signal will play through the surround. (If you were coming from a tv, you would be amazed at how much better even a cheap htib sounds than most built-in speakers.

With that said, why the Sony? Have you considered a stand alone receive and BD player? From what I could find in a cursory search, you should be able to get a discrete surround system with speakers and a stand alone BD player, for just a little more than the Sony.

One of the biggest problems with devices that have both a built in bd player and receiver, is that you will need to replace them simultaneously when you want to upgrade one component. Granted with this unit with the HDMI inputs it is much less of a concern, so you could upgrade the BD player, but would wind up having 2 bd players in your system. BD players also have matured somewhat, so you may be less likely to want to upgrade, but I could see your future upgrade path going one of two routes. 1. Just want a new BD player, stuck with old bd player in same system. 2. Want a better surround system. This likely means buying discrete components and speakers at which, you probably would want to upgrade to a better VD player anyways.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I reviewed the Sony quite a bit and looks great and I'm looking for 1 less thing to store. The bluray with this setup will work with 4k so it should be alright for a while. So just double checking, the bluray in itself works like an hdmi splitter? The tv picture signal can run through this and project onto my screen? It's hard to wrap my brain around this without having all of it in my hands. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateuofmn View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I reviewed the Sony quite a bit and looks great and I'm looking for 1 less thing to store. The bluray with this setup will work with 4k so it should be alright for a while. So just double checking, the bluray in itself works like an hdmi splitter? The tv picture signal can run through this and project onto my screen? It's hard to wrap my brain around this without having all of it in my hands. Thanks again.
It actually works more like an AV Receiver. You would connect the Sony to your projector, and your other devices to the Sony. Then all you need to do is change the input on the Sony to chose a different device.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
What are you going to do when (not if) the Blu-ray player breaks?

I simply do not ever recommend all-in-one systems like this. Sony tends to have poor speaker build quality and while their electronics often work very well, the common issue of transport decks (like BD players) failing with motors, makes it a very tough item to put at the 'heart' of an A/V system. As well, if you aren't happy with the sound of the speakers, there is no indication that they can just be 'upgraded' the way you can do with a traditional A/V receiver setup.

If you have your heart set on this, then it seems perfectly fine.

I'm not sure where you are getting the 4K stuff from, but the different flavors of HDMI and 4K are just emerging and that should typically not be counted as a trusted specification at this time.

Frankly, consider the cost, and what you are getting, your money would be far better spent at www.accessories4less.com on one of their packages, or even go with a separate receiver and speakers, with a BD player from Sony or Panasonic and call it done.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying back. I'm sticking with the all in one and we'll see how it goes in the long run. I was set on the Optoma h180x but now I'm reading about the BenQ W1070. I might go with that. I was trying to find one at a store by me (bestbuy) so I can work with someone near me but I don't see any retailers with the benQ.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Now i'm looking for some help with setup. I was planning on putting the projector on a shelf in the back of the room, but now I don't know if the benq w1070or optima h180x can be right side sitting on the shelf or if I do need to mount them on the ceiling or under the shelf? I'm using the benq calc and the optoma. Looks like 11' from screen to projector will give me some play with the screen size I can go with on the benq. Will the Optoma still have some play by zooming in or out? Hope this all makes sense. 8ft ceilings, 11ft screen to projector. What screen size or sizes work?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Now i'm looking for some help with setup. I was planning on putting the projector on a shelf in the back of the room, but now I don't know if the benq w1070or optima h180x can be right side sitting on the shelf or if I do need to mount them on the ceiling or under the shelf? I'm using the benq calc and the optoma. Looks like 11' from screen to projector will give me some play with the screen size I can go with on the benq. Will the Optoma still have some play by zooming in or out? Hope this all makes sense. 8ft ceilings, 11ft screen to projector. What screen size or sizes work?
Check out this thread for how others dealt with the projector on a shelf: Upside down adjustable shelf mount?

What kind of light control do you have in your room? About the only reason to go with the h180x over the w1070 is that the h180x is brighter on paper (who knows what it is calibrated). But, I definitely think it is worth the extra $ to go with the w1070 as that gets you a 1080p projector with excellent color. Another choice to consider is the 131xe, which is a little cheeper than the w1070. I own that projector and are generally happy with it, although I'm still tinkering with getting the colors just right.

You may want to consider buying the projector first and then deciding on screen size as you determine placement, etc. But, if not, I would strongly consider going with a screen size that is within the middle (or at least not at the fringes of what the specs say) of the zoom range on the projector you are buying. I say that because, right now you do not have a definite place to mount a screen and the projector. Unless you go with a fixed, wall mounted screen, your drop down screen will be a few inches away from your back wall. Your projector lens will also be at least a foot from your back wall, possibly more depending on where the vents are as you want to give it adequate room. By not buying a screen that is designed for the fringes of your estimated setup, you have some wiggle room on placement. That actually is another reason to go with the w1070 as it has a built in lens-shift, not a ton (don't know exactly how many inches you can offset your screen from where you are projecting from in your setup), but better than none, which gives you a bit more placement flexibility.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock1213 View Post
Check out this thread for how others dealt with the projector on a shelf: Upside down adjustable shelf mount?

What kind of light control do you have in your room? About the only reason to go with the h180x over the w1070 is that the h180x is brighter on paper (who knows what it is calibrated). But, I definitely think it is worth the extra $ to go with the w1070 as that gets you a 1080p projector with excellent color. Another choice to consider is the 131xe, which is a little cheeper than the w1070. I own that projector and are generally happy with it, although I'm still tinkering with getting the colors just right.

You may want to consider buying the projector first and then deciding on screen size as you determine placement, etc. But, if not, I would strongly consider going with a screen size that is within the middle (or at least not at the fringes of what the specs say) of the zoom range on the projector you are buying. I say that because, right now you do not have a definite place to mount a screen and the projector. Unless you go with a fixed, wall mounted screen, your drop down screen will be a few inches away from your back wall. Your projector lens will also be at least a foot from your back wall, possibly more depending on where the vents are as you want to give it adequate room. By not buying a screen that is designed for the fringes of your estimated setup, you have some wiggle room on placement. That actually is another reason to go with the w1070 as it has a built in lens-shift, not a ton (don't know exactly how many inches you can offset your screen from where you are projecting from in your setup), but better than none, which gives you a bit more placement flexibility.
Also, a quick word on 720p and 1080p in projectors. My first projector was a 720p model, with a not so great contrast ratio. Coming from a 40" 1080p LCD, I was a bit disappointed with the resolution of the 720p projector.

At the time, I was using a hdmi splitter so I could either watch my projector or my TV without having to change wires, etc so I could easily compare. I remember watching Monsters Inc, where either the BD menu or the opening credits have a bunch of very small illustrations of doors. On the 720p projector, I had no clue that they were doors until I happened to turn on my TV for something. Again, that is probably the most extreme example because the fine details were needed to discern what was what.

With that said, I think you will be happy with whatever you buy, so long as it has a decent contrast ratio (which all the ones you mentioned do). I think you will get a longer life out of the 1080p one as it might hold off the upgrade fever a bit longer, but the 720p one will serve you well.

Oh, one last comment, the h180x, keep in mind is a WXGA projector and not a 720p projector. That means the aspect ratio is actually 16:10, rather than 16:9 like 720p and 1080p are. All this means is that you will have black bars at the top and bottom of your image. If the h180x is like my 131xe (check the manual before you buy), there is a built-in software image shift. All this does is shift the projected image up or down on the screen. It is non-destructive unlike the keystone adjustments as it simply is a pixel by pixel shift. What this means for you is that if you do go with the h180x, you will have a little wiggle room as well, as you can move the projected image higher or lower. It also means that unless you go with a 16:10 screen, your projector will overshoot the screen slightly, so you may want to look for one with a larger matting on the top and bottom. Even though it will be projecting "black", black is never completely black.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, a quick word on 720p and 1080p in projectors. My first projector was a 720p model, with a not so great contrast ratio. Coming from a 40" 1080p LCD, I was a bit disappointed with the resolution of the 720p projector.

At the time, I was using a hdmi splitter so I could either watch my projector or my TV without having to change wires, etc so I could easily compare. I remember watching Monsters Inc, where either the BD menu or the opening credits have a bunch of very small illustrations of doors. On the 720p projector, I had no clue that they were doors until I happened to turn on my TV for something. Again, that is probably the most extreme example because the fine details were needed to discern what was what.

With that said, I think you will be happy with whatever you buy, so long as it has a decent contrast ratio (which all the ones you mentioned do). I think you will get a longer life out of the 1080p one as it might hold off the upgrade fever a bit longer, but the 720p one will serve you well.

Oh, one last comment, the h180x, keep in mind is a WXGA projector and not a 720p projector. That means the aspect ratio is actually 16:10, rather than 16:9 like 720p and 1080p are. All this means is that you will have black bars at the top and bottom of your image. If the h180x is like my 131xe (check the manual before you buy), there is a built-in software image shift. All this does is shift the projected image up or down on the screen. It is non-destructive unlike the keystone adjustments as it simply is a pixel by pixel shift. What this means for you is that if you do go with the h180x, you will have a little wiggle room as well, as you can move the projected image higher or lower. It also means that unless you go with a 16:10 screen, your projector will overshoot the screen slightly, so you may want to look for one with a larger matting on the top and bottom. Even though it will be projecting "black", black is never completely black.
You have the 131xe? I'm actually almost set on that if I can figure out how I'm going to mount it. I saw it doesn't have lens shift but from what you're saying, I can move the picture up or down a little? Should I mount from ceiling, on a shelf right side up (my preferred), mounted under shelf, on wall with mount? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ok here's another scenario that might help with setup. I want my screen to be about 10" from the ceiling. Will I be able to mount this projector and still be able to get a 100" screen? I'm assuming I can move the image up a little. Using the projector calculator is shows the projector needs to be 8" above the screen, but since I want the screen 10" below the ceiling, it leaves the projector at 2" below ceiling which won't work. Wondering if there will be enough play in the projector to be able to have the screen 10" from ceiling. Sorry for repeating myself. Also, about where would I have to mount the projector?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Ok here's another scenario that might help with setup. I want my screen to be about 10" from the ceiling. Will I be able to mount this projector and still be able to get a 100" screen? I'm assuming I can move the image up a little. Using the projector calculator is shows the projector needs to be 8" above the screen, but since I want the screen 10" below the ceiling, it leaves the projector at 2" below ceiling which won't work. Wondering if there will be enough play in the projector to be able to have the screen 10" from ceiling. Sorry for repeating myself. Also, about where would I have to mount the projector?
Sorry if I confused you with my comments about the image shift function in the 131xe. The 131xe is a 16:9 projector and image fills the full frame of the projector for any 16:9 content (i.e. HDTV, many comedies). The h180x is 16:10 and has black bars for all 16:9 content (if you were to connect it to a laptop, you would be able to use the entire field of the projector).

I have a rather cheaply homemade temporary cinemascope screen (2.39:1) and almost exclusively watch cinemascope movies on it. That's why I am able to use the image shift to put my image on the screen with less than ideal placement (I only set it up temporarily for now) as I am not using an anamorphic lens and just lose the area above and below the image.

If I were mounting it on the ceiling, I would plan on mounting it where the full frame is on the screen as I do watch sporting events on it occasionally. Now, just quickly looking at mounts that I have seen online, you probably could make it work if you were willing to come down 2-3 inches as I have seen some with as little as 4 inches of height. However, I have never mounted a projector on the ceiling yet, so I am not aware if there is any additional added distance that you need to take into consideration.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
1. You should ask in audio sections about your audio setup. I can't emphasize how much you are making a questionable decision, but perhaps if you hear from others about it, you may feel better about your decision, or change your mind. As it stands, if ANY part of your Sony system were to fail, the entire system becomes garbage. This is the exact opposite of upgradable, and fully adjustable home theater systems and flies in the face of a versatile system. Don't take my word on it, but I strongly suggest you ask others than those in the projector forum. Especially at your budget, you have great options which will not only be more versatile, but will sound a great deal better.

2. You must invert mount your projector.

3. Learn to use the calculator at Projector Central.

4. You mention 11' screen to projector. Does that mean your projector lens will be 11' from the screen, or more like 10'?

5. Optoma H180X: 10' lens to screen: 94" to 103" diagonal. Lens about 6" above the top of the image. Projector inverted (ceiling or under shelf mount)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

6. BenQ W1070: 10' lens to screen: 92" to 120" diagonal. Lens about 2" to 4" above the top of the image. Projector inverted (ceiling or under shelf mount)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

Play with the calculator and adjust distances accordingly.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
1. You should ask in audio sections about your audio setup. I can't emphasize how much you are making a questionable decision, but perhaps if you hear from others about it, you may feel better about your decision, or change your mind. As it stands, if ANY part of your Sony system were to fail, the entire system becomes garbage. This is the exact opposite of upgradable, and fully adjustable home theater systems and flies in the face of a versatile system. Don't take my word on it, but I strongly suggest you ask others than those in the projector forum. Especially at your budget, you have great options which will not only be more versatile, but will sound a great deal better.
I second this. Even if your unit does not fail, I think there is a strong likelihood you will want to upgrade your BD player in a few years especially as BD players are morphing into hybrid BD players and internet streaming devices (existing ones will be completely dated and likely unsupported in 3 years). I purchased the Sony HTSS360, which was designed as a companion of the HT360 BD player, rather than an all in one unit. I replaced the BD player last year to get 3D capability, but the even bigger benefit was how much faster the new BD player loads discs. I also wish I had gone a different route than the HTSS360 (which I did mainly out of space concerns because I had no place to store a full size receiver). Unfortunately, that means I am limited to using the speakers which came with the HTSS360 (which are awful) and when I want to watch a 3D movie, I have to re-connect my projector to the BD player directly as the HTSS360 does not support HDMI 1.4. Its a pain to say the least, not to mention HDMI jacks really aren't designed for constant insertions and removals. My next big purchase (after a proper screen following my move) will be discrete components for my surround system.

If your concern is wanting only one unit to control, you may want to look at one of the Harmony remotes which makes working with 10+ components as easy as 1.

Last edited by shamrock1213; 07-12-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

2. You must invert mount your projector.

3. Learn to use the calculator at Projector Central.

4. You mention 11' screen to projector. Does that mean your projector lens will be 11' from the screen, or more like 10'?

5. Optoma H180X: 10' lens to screen: 94" to 103" diagonal. Lens about 6" above the top of the image. Projector inverted (ceiling or under shelf mount)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

6. BenQ W1070: 10' lens to screen: 92" to 120" diagonal. Lens about 2" to 4" above the top of the image. Projector inverted (ceiling or under shelf mount)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

Play with the calculator and adjust distances accordingly.
I used the calculator and I'm going 11' lens to screen. My room is 13' wide so I have some wiggle room.

I'm still just going to stick with the all in one Sony. I'll use the warranty if it fails.

I'm planning on mounting it to a shelf upside down, I've seen some nice looking setups on here.

Buying the Optoma HD131xe tonight, along with a 100" Elite screen. I wish I could go fixed screen but the wife isn't having that. Should have it all and installed next weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Also, don't be alarmed with the colors on the 131xe immediately out of the box. If you turn Brilliant Color down, with some tweaking you can get some nice skin tones. The owner's thread on here has some good settings for you to use. You may also see a post of mine about one bizarre quirk I noticed with a particular set of calibration settings. I just happened across that as I was tweaking my calibration settings (basing them off of others until I buy my meter), and I don't get the bizarre gradient behavior with the settings that I am happy with for now.

One other thing you will want to do with the 131xe, is before you mount it, project a test pattern against a flat wall and check that you can focus the edges properly. Earlier examples of this projector had issues where the focus would go soft around the edges. It has since been fixed, and probably won't be an issue unless you get old stock. Optoma, however, has been pretty quick on fixing the issue though, when doing warranty service. I think some got it fixed within a week, and now have perfect focus throughout.

Enjoy! I highly recommend watching something like the opening scene of Casino Royale along with the title credits, or Gravity in 3D to really see what this projector can do (Frozen in 3D looks amazing as well if you have kids).
Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, don't be alarmed with the colors on the 131xe immediately out of the box. If you turn Brilliant Color down, with some tweaking you can get some nice skin tones. The owner's thread on here has some good settings for you to use. You may also see a post of mine about one bizarre quirk I noticed with a particular set of calibration settings. I just happened across that as I was tweaking my calibration settings (basing them off of others until I buy my meter), and I don't get the bizarre gradient behavior with the settings that I am happy with for now.

One other thing you will want to do with the 131xe, is before you mount it, project a test pattern against a flat wall and check that you can focus the edges properly. Earlier examples of this projector had issues where the focus would go soft around the edges. It has since been fixed, and probably won't be an issue unless you get old stock. Optoma, however, has been pretty quick on fixing the issue though, when doing warranty service. I think some got it fixed within a week, and now have perfect focus throughout.

Enjoy! I highly recommend watching something like the opening scene of Casino Royale along with the title credits, or Gravity in 3D to really see what this projector can do (Frozen in 3D looks amazing as well if you have kids).
Thanks for the input shamrock. I'm purchasing mine through Best Buy and will be buying the 4 year warranty with it. I usually don't buy warranties but for this, it seems like a good thing. I'll have to pick up some 3D glasses and movies after I get it all set up. I'll check in here after I get it installed or if I need some help calibrating. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Elite Sable 100" fixed screen is on the way. Homedepot carries these online and they beat prices by 10%, so mine is shipping for about $230. Ordered a ceiling mount for the projector too. Now i'm just thinking about how I'm going to run wiring and whether or not to buy a storage unit for under the screen. I was looking at getting this to hang on the wall under it Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 8.34.46 PM.png
Views:	13
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	163577http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99930065/ and maybe this on the left and towards the top of the screen for bluray and cable boxClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 8.33.42 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	163569 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69028247/ I really would like to do sunk in shelves but that will need to wait a few years. I have a 1 year old which is why I want to get the electronics up and something under the screen so she can't get to it as easy.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of my setup. Screen should be here today, but i'm surprised at how good it looks just on the wall.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	174218   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	103.9 KB