BenQ W1070+ new version of the W1070 with WHDMI and MHL - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070+ new version of the W1070 with WHDMI and MHL

Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

kreeturez's Avatar kreeturez
01:37 PM Liked: 180
post #31 of 48
08-18-2014 | Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
Thanks kreeturez

About the noise, the fan noise is higher on the W1070+ in action and it's easily understeable with more brightness on the + version.

I 'm not able to answer to your RBE question because Max (the photograph) wasn't there during the W1070 test. Sorry for that

Not a problem: thanks kraine.

Like others earlier in this thread - after finally getting some proper technical feedback on this unit - I feel like it might be difficult to motivate spending the extra cash on the '+' version unless it's price is very similar to the original.

For most people, the small bump in lumens (on what was already a very bright projector) with a slicker menu structure probably isn't going to be worth it - unless something specific like, say, MHL is required. The improvements to the speakers are welcome but will go to waste with most users already having proper audio in-place.

The (more-expensive) wireless option is nice but there're already stand-alone solutions for that in any case.

In truth, I was kinda hoping for a bit more

Not that I can complain - it's an incremental improvement over what was already an outstanding projector - but I feel like BenQ could've taken this a bit further. (Vesa RF support, for instance). Right now, they may stand to lose out as the competition starts catching up...

Still if it launches at a reasonable price-point, I'm sure it'll sell nicely. If not, then the original W1070 will probably still continue to sell nicely (unless it gets discontinued!)

Thanks for the feedback, kraine!
rwestley's Avatar rwestley
05:07 AM Liked: 70
post #32 of 48
08-21-2014 | Posts: 6,678
It seems that the current 1070 is being sold for $700 on several sites. I would not be surprised if it drops somewhat lower before the + gets released in the US. The differences seem slight for most users and it might be a good way to save several hundred dollars. I really wanted a VESA port so I could use RF 3D glasses. The other differences are not enough to make me want to upgrade. I would hope that Benq would listen and come out with a similar model with that option. I am not holding my breath.
AllenA07's Avatar AllenA07
07:03 AM Liked: 85
post #33 of 48
08-21-2014 | Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
It seems that the current 1070 is being sold for $700 on several sites. I would not be surprised if it drops somewhat lower before the + gets released in the US. The differences seem slight for most users and it might be a good way to save several hundred dollars. I really wanted a VESA port so I could use RF 3D glasses. The other differences are not enough to make me want to upgrade. I would hope that Benq would listen and come out with a similar model with that option. I am not holding my breath.
I'm in this crowd. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that this model is quieter. I'll be buying sometime in October/November and unless something dramatic changes I'll be getting the regular 1070.
rwestley's Avatar rwestley
07:09 AM Liked: 70
post #34 of 48
08-21-2014 | Posts: 6,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I'm in this crowd. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that this model is quieter. I'll be buying sometime in October/November and unless something dramatic changes I'll be getting the regular 1070.
Actually Kraine stated his his test that + actually creates more noise because the fan speed is slightly higher because of the increased brightness.

I would suggest that those interested in the 1070 keep watching for deals. Newegg now has it for $709. I would not be surprised if it went a little lower before the + comes out.
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback
07:52 AM Liked: 84
post #35 of 48
08-21-2014 | Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I have the BenQ W1080ST which is really close to the 1070. I have the high altitude setting and cannot watch 3D - - it's just to loud.

I'm not in the market right now but if I were, I'd be looking for BenQ to release something that had significant benefits over their existing models. I do not see that with the new W1070. Wireless is not an improvement unless you absolutely cannot run an HDMI connection. I wouldn't do that unless there were absolutely no choices, period.

There is a new Optoma EH200ST coming out that looks like it is competing in the BenQ space. I'm not advocating or plugging Optoma - - I've been very happy with my BenQ. But if I were looking at the new projector, the noise issue is something I'd be concerned with.

BenQ W1070 states audible noise of 33/30 dBA. The Optoma EH200ST is 26 dBA (Eco Mode - which I use with my BenQ). I do not know if that makes much of an audible difference, but it's worth exploring.
07:30 PM Liked: 180
post #36 of 48
09-16-2014 | Posts: 637
For UK buyers, the pricing of this unit seems to finally be coming down nicely as official shipping (post-CEDIA) starts.

ProjectorPoint.co.uk (been around for ages) is currently listing it in-stock at £642; with their pricing on the older W1070 actually a bit higher than that.

Comparing to Amazon.co.uk, the price on this + model is then only £20 more expensive than the W1070 at present.

On a side-note, it'll be nice to see this same kind of decrease (ie bringing the + model's pricing in-line with the original) in the US.
russelsheim
12:35 PM Liked: 0
post #37 of 48
11-01-2014 | Posts: 6
I would like an explanation about this
WhatHifi magazine, a highly respected magazine had given a very underwhelm review (3 stars) on Benq W1070 while they give an overwhelm 5 stars review on Benq W1070+
Now, many (even in this forum) sustain there no major differences between the two projectros
Please help to understand why this different behavior.
Mitch Ogb
07:41 PM Liked: 0
post #38 of 48
11-05-2014 | Posts: 7
i just got my w1070 refurbed at memoryexpress in calgary for $600, payed $150 for 3 years warrenty incase the unit breaks down, i just have to put aside $200 and get another bulb and I should be good.

This projector is AWESOME, and the light on the remote is fantastic.
I just need to fire up rs232 to my PC so i can remote ping it to make sure that it is off.
08:57 AM Liked: 180
post #39 of 48
11-06-2014 | Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelsheim View Post
I would like an explanation about this
WhatHifi magazine, a highly respected magazine had given a very underwhelm review (3 stars) on Benq W1070 while they give an overwhelm 5 stars review on Benq W1070+
Now, many (even in this forum) sustain there no major differences between the two projectros
Please help to understand why this different behavior.

Doesn't makes much sense to me either. The WhatHiFi review of the W1070+ (known in the US as the HT1075) seems to imply there's a big difference:
Quote:
The BenQ W1070+ is a big improvement upon its predecessor the W1070. Its subtle and punchy picture quality - complete with satisfyingly deep black levels and smooth motion - is utterly engrossing.

On the other hand, ProjectorCentral actually referred to their W1070 review for their PQ analyses of the HT1075:

Quote:
You've heard the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Given the W1070's popularity almost two years after its release, we can safely say that it ain't broke. It's not surprising, then, how similar the HT1075 is to its predecessor.

The actual performance and image quality of the HT1075 is nearly identical to that of the W1070. If you want to read more about performance and shared features, you should click over to our BenQ W1070 review.
And ProjectorReviews found the same, saying that their only gripe with the replacement model was its similarity to its predecessor:
Quote:
I’ll say right now, I had hoped for more improvements, but considering that the older projector was an excellent value, and a top award winner, we’ll just have to live with "a little bit better."

Probably the most helpful PQ-related analyses came from Geoff at The Wirecutter in his 'best-$1k projector' article:
Quote:
The contrast ratio improved a bit: 2,314:1 from the W1070’s 1,953:1. Looking at the two, the HT1075 does look a little bit better, with a little more depth and punch to the image. It’s a small improvement, though.
Quote:
As we mentioned, the HT1075 is so close in performance to the previous pick (W1070) that we don’t recommend anyone upgrade from one to the other. If you're curious, though, the HT1075 is a little bit better in every way. It’s a touch brighter, has a little bit better contrast, the color is a little more accurate, and there’s a little less noise. Watching them side-by-side (ok, technically stacked above and below), the HT1075 looks subjectively about 10-15 percent better while watching actual video.

At the moment, you can still pick up the W1070 for $730. This presents an interesting choice. The HT1075 looks better enough that most people should consider the extra $270 to be worth spending in order to go for our (new) main pick. But if $1,000 is already a stretch and every single dollar counts, the W1070 is still a great projector.

If the price of the W1070 rises above $850, definitely save and get the HT1075 instead.
Interestingly, they imply that if the price difference between the two is less than $150 (which it now is), they'd advise in favor of the HT1075.

They also mention this about input lag:

Quote:
With high input lag, you’ll miss more than you hit, regardless of your reflexes. The W1070 had a low input lag of 33 milliseconds. The HT1075 has a more average input lag of 49.7 ms. Is this a big deal? No. If you’re a hardcore gamer, should you seek out a projector that has the lowest possible input lag? I don’t think so, especially since you’d be getting a projector that overall looks worse than the HT1075.

For most gamers, 49.7 ms is probably lower than the TV you’re using now and still on the low side of average for current displays.

So really, it's a tough call. I'm considering a second projection setup (to run in parallel to my current W1070, in another room) and could see myself going for the bit of extra brightness from the newer model if its price stays in close proximity to its predecessor; even if actual PQ is roughly the same. Might just want a little more throw distance for that setup, though
11:40 AM Liked: 180
post #40 of 48
Edit: Amazon actually now has this on special for $805. That's just 10% more than the W1070. (10% premium for extra 10% brightness and slightly better picture?). Solid deal, that. If my second room was ready I think I'd pull the trigger.
russelsheim
12:21 PM Liked: 0
post #41 of 48
11-06-2014 | Posts: 6
Excellent comments Kreeturez
I was very tempted by Benq W1070+, now I added Optoma hd161x and Epson 3000 in my list.....
I hope I lived in a country where you could go to a shop and ask to show all of them playing with the same equipment....but again, calibration will not be perfect etc so I can only rely on some good reviewers and some owners who they don't just say "Mine is the best one because I own one"
02:03 PM Liked: 180
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Excellent comments Kreeturez
I was very tempted by Benq W1070+, now I added Optoma hd161x and Epson 3000 in my list.....
Don't know much about the Epson, but the Optoma HD161X (HD50) has been pretty-well received. In the main thread, kraine actually said it looked slightly better than the W1070+; though it's dimmer. It does have a few nice features (RD-3D if you buy an emitter, Frame Interpolation - though this breaks A/V sync - and a detail enhancement system.) It'd actually also suit my new throw better than the W1070/W1070+ (I want to inverted-shelf mount at the back of the room; rather then on the ceiling). The problem is price - it's pretty expensive in the US: 40%-50% more than the W1070/W1070+; and PQ differences are not going to be obvious at all (similar contrast ratio, similar post-calibration color accuracy, same average-black-levels, etc). So I'm not sure if it's worth it; though pricing in your region may be closer.

One last projector worth adding to your list (if you're not confused enough already!) is the HD151x (HD36). Very closely priced to the W1070+; and also an RGBRGB wheel - but it has an even-brighter lamp than any of the projectors mentioned here. The only professional review available at present is on AVF, though it's not very positive unfortunately. I'm wondering from that review (which compares color performance to the cheaper HD26) if the brighter lamp produces a different spectrum (not just intensity) of light that might have side-effects to the nett color gamut. We'll see what kraine has to say in that thread (he has a review on the way). Once again, this would suit my throw better; but not if the PQ turns out to be poorer: in which case I'd lean towards the W1070+. Guess we'll see!
russelsheim
02:27 PM Liked: 0
post #43 of 48
11-06-2014 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
The problem is price - it's pretty expensive in the US: 40%-50% more than the W1070/W1070+; and PQ differences are not going to be obvious at all (similar contrast ratio, similar post-calibration color accuracy, same average-black-levels, etc). So I'm not sure if it's worth it; though pricing in your region may be closer.
Yes, Optoma hd161x is 200 euros ($250) more expensive but it is still < 1000 euros (my budget). Sure I will not pay 200 euros more for less PQ!! So I guess I'll wait for more reviews. I hope the Epson 3000 has good PQ and maybe less features so it can be still less than 1000
Not sure I understood the new throw problem.....do you mean the Benq is not ok for shelf mounting?

If I were you I would keep the Benq 1070 and I would wait 3-4 years for affordable 4K projectors
02:46 PM Liked: 180
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Not sure I understood the new throw problem.....do you mean the Benq is not ok for shelf mounting?

If I were you I would keep the Benq 1070 and I would wait 3-4 years for affordable 4K projectors
Oh don't worry, I'm sure my W1070 will be serving it's current room for many years. It's a fantastic projector. That's why it's been such a hit: BenQ put out a projector that got all the fundamentals right (brightness, color accuracy, low RBE, sharpness, reasonable contrast, excellent 3D, very low input lag - heck, CNET listed it in their "Best low-lag HDTVs for serious gamers" article!, good motion handling - etc). And they did it at a price-point that made it accessible to people who were shopping for regular TVs. Getting that kind of picture quality at more-than 120" for such a low price? 5 years before, that kind of PQ from a projector costed 10x as much - and was only half as bright.

That's part of the reason why the W1070+/HT1075 offers such appeal: it's predecessor was excellent. And with only $80 separating them right now, it's tough to go wrong with the W1070+/HT1075 successor.

The problem with throw in my case is that I want to set up another projector in a different room (I'd leave the W1070 where it is). In that room, rather than ceiling mounting it, I'd much rather shelf-mount it upside-down at the back so that it's less visible. The problem is from that distance, the image from the W1070/W1070+ would be too large

That's why I've got an eye out for the Optomas at the moment. I like how DLP looks; and Optoma has caught up with color-brightness/color-accuracy (at least on the HD50) - and competition is always good. I'd bet Optoma's the reason that the W1070+/HT1075 is so cheap at the moment.

If I didn't mind ceiling mounting in the new room, I'd just get a W1070+ and be done with it. Maybe I still will - and I'll just figure out a way to do the mounting in as 'pretty' a way as possible (so that is passes WAF)!
sodvepas
04:48 PM Liked: 1
post #45 of 48
11-06-2014 | Posts: 9
I´m about to buy my first projector and have been pondering which projector should I choose W1070 or Ht1075. The only thing that´s moving me towards to the older model is higher input lag on HT1075.

I will do a lot of gaming on my projector and it is very important for me that I won´t notice/suffer from bad input lag. Are here any gamers who own this new model and is that input lag really a problem in real life, or just in my mind?

I think Optoma HD151x (HD36) would also be really nice, but I have been told the bulbs are really expensive on this model.
frenchfrogg
10:33 PM Liked: 2
post #46 of 48
11-06-2014 | Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
One last projector worth adding to your list (if you're not confused enough already!) is the HD151x (HD36). Very closely priced to the W1070+; and also an RGBRGB wheel - but it has an even-brighter lamp than any of the projectors mentioned here. The only professional review available at present is on AVF, though it's not very positive unfortunately. I'm wondering from that review (which compares color performance to the cheaper HD26) if the brighter lamp produces a different spectrum (not just intensity) of light that might have side-effects to the nett color gamut. We'll see what kraine has to say in that thread (he has a review on the way). Once again, this would suit my throw better; but not if the PQ turns out to be poorer: in which case I'd lean towards the W1070+. Guess we'll see!
I have had the HD141X and just after the HD151X. While i found that the HD141X gives some pinky flesh i found the HD151X exempt of this issue. Personaly i would not say that the HD151X has the same representation of colors than the HD141X which is supposed to be the same model than the HD26 though the white mire is not white like for the HD141X. It's yellowish.

I posted some pictures of the HD151X made with my mobile phone. They don't do justice to the image but give a good idea of the colors. Image has less noise is sharper and less dark.
Optoma HD36 or HD151X vs BENQ W1070

By the way i think that there is an issue with the lens treatment of both model i have had.
kraine's Avatar kraine
01:44 PM Liked: 79
post #47 of 48
11-13-2014 | Posts: 1,395
On the occasion of the creation of our new forum pjhc.fr we have a competition to win a BenQ W1070 + projector and connecting housing without WDP01 thread.

Open to all foreign forumeurs just register on the forum to write a few words to explain why you love BenQ projectors (in German, French or English). The contest is open from November 14, 2014 to January 31, 2015.

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...forum-pjhc-fr/

On February 1, 2015, a random drawing will be held to determine the winner who will be notified by email of its gain and its name will be mentioned on the forum.
sodvepas
08:15 AM Liked: 1
post #48 of 48
11-21-2014 | Posts: 9
Are here any gamers who own this W1070+ model and is that input lag noticeable? Any comments using this as a gaming projector?

Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread