Movie/Game room suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Movie/Game room suggestions?

Hi all, this seems like one of the best stops for advice on all things audio and video, so I wanted to get a few opinions about a movie/game room setup. Very new to the projector scene so any advice would be great.

The wife and I are in the process of buying a house that has a good size bonus room, 19x20, but have not measured it myself to confirm. And it has 2 closets, both of which have shelves in them. Currently we are thinking we want this to be a movie/game room and a projector seems like the best route to take. (I'd be glad to hear if you guys think this is best and why)

I had some questions that I've been thinking about but before that, here's a look at the room (edit I actually think the pictures make the room look smaller than it is):

I'm thinking the ceiling simply gets too low to use this wall. (not sure on the height, but I'd guess between 6 and 7 tops.)

So I'm thinking we will need to use this one:

It will likely be a few months until we embark on this but I just wanted to get some products in mind and get some other general advice about things I could look for.

1 First up, the window being there is concerning. Would a screen fix this or would you guys still worry about too much ambient light during the day? Not sure when this was taken so I don't know if the sun shines directly on that window at any point during the day.

2 If the screen does work then I'm guessing I need something on a stand or that I can pull down? On a stand may be better as then I could put blackout curtains up. I've never messed with the screens before so I'm not sure how they typically work. Suggestions are welcome

3. I am thinking shelf mounting may be the best as there are shelves built into the closets and this would provide and easy way to add a receiver, cable box, PS4, etc. What I will really need to think on will be my PC setup.

4 How will I actually be able to control all this stuff? I mean if half the remotes use IR, I'd have to look back to change stuff.

5 I'm guessing I would need a receiver? Would having an HDMI switch end up killing quality or adding lag? Suggestions on either of these would be great.

6 As for the proejctor itself it's looking like the BenQ W1070 is my best bet. Heard good things about the Optoma HD25e, but never heard of the brand before. Any suggestions would be great.

7 Sound system thoughts/suggestions? We don't need the speakers booming.

8 We are really wanting the budget to come in between 2 and 3k, but are open to a bit more, 5k would be the limit. I'll likely need someone to run the cables, so try to keep that in mind.

9 Seating suggestions? Couch/chairs? Theater seating? Keep in mind, nothing in the room currently is ours.

10? I'm sure there are things I'm not even aware of at this point. Other advice/suggestions would be great.

Edit 11 3D blu-ray player suggestions?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited by MichaelVash7886; 07-13-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK, since nobody else has responded, I'll chime in with a few thoughts.

First, congratulations on the new home. The room looks big enough for a good setup. There are alot of questions here, so I'll take them one at a time. Bear in mind, this is just my opinion, keeping your 2 to 3K budget in mind.

1. That window is an issue and personally, I would address it with some blackout curtain or blinds. If you plan on watching anything on a project in there during daylight hours I think you'll find that its going to impact the image. You can still put your screen in front if you like. A portable manual pull down or a wall-mounted drop-down screen would probably work, but you will need to do something with that window (especially that top bit).

2. Lots of screen options. Pull-down screens, while convenient can develop wrinkles over time unless you get a tab-tensioned screen. So I suggest if you are going that route you should be looking at tab-tensioned if your budget will allow it. I personally prefer a fixed frame screen on the wall as it will give me a perfectly flat surface and that inst going to develop any creases or wrinkles and there are plenty of options to fit every budget. If this were my room I'd probably be doing blackout curtains or blinds on the window and looking at one other the other walls for a projections screen Without any measurements, it seems like you have enough room for a screen on the wall with the entertainment unit, depending on how big of a screen you were thinking of. If you've got 7' there, I think you can make it work for maybe 100" or 110" screen. If you want to go bigger, you may need to project in the other direction.

3. I don't see any closets so I am assuming they are on one the other walls. Shelf mounting can work but it will impact your projector selection. First there is the question of whether you are sitting your projector on the shelf or hanging it under the shelf inverted. Keep in mind that the W1070 you mention as one of your possible projectors will project its image with the bottom of the projected image basically equal to the bottom of the screen (there is a small offset but you get the picture), so in order to fill up your screen the project is either set at an elevation equal to the bottom of the screen (not practical for shelf mounting at the rear of the room) or the top of the screen (in which case you need to invert the projector and hang it from the shelf. Second, if you are shelf mounting I'm guessing your throw distance will be about 20'. You'll need to look at the calculators over on projector central. The W1070 isn't really a good choice for a 20' throw. The Optoma is a better choice for this distance, but realize that at 20' you will be getting a very large image - something around 160" diagonal. I'm not sure if that the image size you were thinking of. Its a bit on the large size, so that's probably something you want to think about. I suggest you get over on projector central and go through the list of top 10 home theater projectors and play with the calculators. You should think about how big you want your screen, and based on that, where you will need to put your projector. I think you may find that you will need to think about a ceiling mount.

4. If you put your gear in the closet, you can control it all with IR blasters. You may need to do something special with the PS4 - i believe that's Bluetooth. but there are adapters to make it work.

5. Yes, you will want an AV receiver. They will not negatively impact quality. As for lag, there may be very slight hit to input lag but nothing noticeable. A little more research may be needed here, but I game online all the time and have never noticed any perceptible impact from going through a receiver. Once of the reasons I went with the w1070 was due to its very low input lag numbers.

6. I suggest you go over to projector central and look through their top 10 home theater or home video projects. They are all popular choices. Optoma is a well-respected name in projectors so there's no worry there. There are a lot of good projects in the $1200 and under range and I think thats where you should be looking to stay on budget. That said, the W1070 seems to be the best of that price range.

7. You might as this question in the audio section and give them your budget up front, but some general advice here would be to avoid a home theatre in a box. Get a receiver and a 5.1 speaker system. The guys over at Audioholics have some recommendations for a $1000 system. http://www.audioholics.com/recommend...mmended-system. This is more important than you think it is.

8. So for a sample system lets start with something like this and adjust it from there:
Projector - BenQ W1070 = $900
Screen - either fixed frame or electric = $600 - you should be able to find a screen from Elite or similar in this range depending upon final screen size selection.
Cables, mount, etc - Monoprice.com = $200
Electrician to get power where you need it = $300
Audio system above = $1000
Total = $3,000

9. I am a fan of couches and chairs versus home theatre seating but its really a matter of personal opinion. You can blow your entire budget on either one.

10. If the white ceiling gives you problems with reflection, you could consider painting it a darker shade or a flatter finish (eggshell, etc). My other big recommendation is a popcorn machine.

11. sorry - no suggestion here. I use a PS3 for 3D bluray. There are a ton of good players out there. Quick Google search should turn up a raft of reviews.

Hope that helps
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Put your screen over the window.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Liked: 11
Look into the Denon e200, e300, e400 or x2000. Check out Accessories4less.com to get an idea on the bottom line price then watch Fry's as they routinely have new units on sale for similar prices. I like the suggestion above on the Pioneer speakers. You can also take a look at Energy speakers if you are looking for something small like the Energy Take 5 (they seem to magically show up every now and again for dirt cheap). The Take 5 subwoofer won't rattle the room, but blends nicely with the satellites. These don't play super loud...that's the major trade-off.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys for the tips so far. @Foos-Man any other receiver suggestions would be good, though I may check with the receiver forum once I get a bit closer to getting into the house.
@niknod thanks for taking the time that helps a lot. Any tips on where to look at screens. And I believe the plans said 17 feet across. The only thing I was worried about with that wall was the height. Oddly enough I don't think the closet idea will work as It's actually too far away from the wall to the point where I'd need to use like a 300 inch screen, which I am not sure would quite fit in that little section. So it looks like blinds and blackouts if the room really is 17 feet across which seems reasonable from what I remember about the room.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVash7886 View Post
Thanks you guys for the tips so far. @Foos-Man any other receiver suggestions would be good, though I may check with the receiver forum once I get a bit closer to getting into the house.
@niknod thanks for taking the time that helps a lot. Any tips on where to look at screens. And I believe the plans said 17 feet across. The only thing I was worried about with that wall was the height. Oddly enough I don't think the closet idea will work as It's actually too far away from the wall to the point where I'd need to use like a 300 inch screen, which I am not sure would quite fit in that little section. So it looks like blinds and blackouts if the room really is 17 feet across which seems reasonable from what I remember about the room.
You should check in the screens forums, they can offer a better opinion than I probably can.
I'd start with:
Elite screens http://www.elitescreens.com/
Monoprice screens http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10829
Jamestown screens http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/
Elunevisions screens http://www.elunevision.com/

They seem to be popular choices and offer good bang for the buck.
Just a note on Jamestown; they make their screens to order so you need to allow a little extra time for delivery. They usually have alot of back-orders so you probably need to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. All the others are generally off the shelf so you can get them pretty quickly.
I'd probably do some window shopping at my local A/V store to answer some of the basic questions - fixed frame vs manual pull-down vs electric, tab-tensioned or not, Screen Gain and material. Best Buy will likely have some of these but local shops specializing in home theatre will probably have more on display. Personally, I had a tougher time picking out my screen than picking out my projector. You can drop alot of cash on the screen alone, if you want to go high-end, but there are lots of very good screens in your budget.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknod View Post
You should check in the screens forums, they can offer a better opinion than I probably can.
I'd start with:
Elite screens http://www.elitescreens.com/
Monoprice screens http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10829
Jamestown screens http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/
Elunevisions screens http://www.elunevision.com/

They seem to be popular choices and offer good bang for the buck.
Just a note on Jamestown; they make their screens to order so you need to allow a little extra time for delivery. They usually have alot of back-orders so you probably need to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. All the others are generally off the shelf so you can get them pretty quickly.
I'd probably do some window shopping at my local A/V store to answer some of the basic questions - fixed frame vs manual pull-down vs electric, tab-tensioned or not, Screen Gain and material. Best Buy will likely have some of these but local shops specializing in home theatre will probably have more on display. Personally, I had a tougher time picking out my screen than picking out my projector. You can drop alot of cash on the screen alone, if you want to go high-end, but there are lots of very good screens in your budget.

So one other thing I want to ask about. It is somewhat likely that the 1070 will be discontinued soon. Would I have to worry about bulbs jumping in price? Assuming of course I don't have to wait too long to get it. May be a new projector out by then.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
game room , movie room

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page