Suggestions for projector in very small room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Suggestions for projector in very small room?

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a pretty low end projector and screen and would like advice.

I'm in a small bedroom with 1 window that could pretty easily be blocked up, so not much ambient light. The way the space is set up the throw distance would be around 9 feet, and the max available screen size would be 72 inches.

I found a reasonably priced 72 inch screen, but I am overwhelmed by the low end options.

I would be thrilled to spend as little as possible, but the really cheap ones all have awful reviews on Amazon. The viewsonic pjd5134 looks promising but I'm worried it might be too bright for the small size of my room.

Any advice would be appreciated. Right now I'm watching movies off of a smaller computer screen and would love to start using a projector!

Thanks,
Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have a Viewsonic PJD5134 with right at 600 hours on it. I use it in a spare room when my family kicks me out of the main room (169 inch image). I have had no problems with the PJ other than as I jumped from 120 inches to 150 inches the pixel size became an issue, so now I use it in a spare room with a 92 inch "outdoor" screen. The pixels are not an issue at that size or 72 inches. As to brightness, put in on eco and drop the brightness with the settings. The pictures were taken at about 8 feet with the PJ being on a desk at 11 feet. (After I got the Viewsonic, I gave my wife our 70 inch Sharp TV, so I think it is an great PJ for what it is...entry level...800x600. If you feed it a good signal - blu-ray, you will not be disappointed and I prefer it when watching DVDs.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare1.jpg
Views:	1796
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	159441   Click image for larger version

Name:	spare2.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	159449  
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I have a Viewsonic PJD5134 with right at 600 hours on it. I use it in a spare room when my family kicks me out of the main room (169 inch image). I have had no problems with the PJ other than as I jumped from 120 inches to 150 inches the pixel size became an issue, so now I use it in a spare room with a 92 inch "outdoor" screen. The pixels are not an issue at that size or 72 inches. As to brightness, put in on eco and drop the brightness with the settings. The pictures were taken at about 8 feet with the PJ being on a desk at 11 feet. (After I got the Viewsonic, I gave my wife our 70 inch Sharp TV, so I think it is an great PJ for what it is...entry level...800x600. If you feed it a good signal - blu-ray, you will not be disappointed and I prefer it when watching DVDs.)

Thank you for your response!

Would you agree that something like the E-rainbow 60" Portable Mini Hd LED Projector (amazon link at http://www.amazon.com/E-rainbow-Port...inch+projector ) is just a waste of $60? From all the reviews, that just looks like it has a terrible quality image.

So it looks like I'll be getting

ViewSonic PJD5134 SVGA DLP Projector - $350
VideoSecu LCD/DLP Projector Vaulted Ceiling Mount Bracket - $25
Pyle PRJSM7206 Universal 72-Inch Roll-Down Pull-Down Manual Projection Screen - $60

all from amazon

From what I can tell this seems like about what I would 'need' for this type of setup. Any good reasons why any of

Making purchases like this always puts me a little on edge, but I'm excited and think it should be fun!

Thanks,
Zach
post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'd say the $60 one is junk. Also, be aware that some people have had dust issues with the ViewSonic PJD 5134, 5533 and 7820. It has no filter and dust inside the lens can be an issue. I run a box fan with a 20x20 inch filter in the room when not using the projector...just in case, and I have not had dust problems.

I set up a 5533 in a friend's basement and it is a better projector since it is a 720p verses 800x600, so a little more money gets you a HD image. Also, some people prefer a "name brand" projector, but the Viewsonic has the best warranty (not sure how their service is). Plus the lamps are pricey at about $200 plus.

On my thread (Steve's cheap build), I have the Viewsonic 5134 verses my 70 inch tv on a plain wall in the family room. I think that sells the pj.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Projecting on a white wall works very well if you have a wall available. $10 of flat-white interior rolled on a wall will beat many poor screens and match some pretty nice ones too. You shouldn't have to spend over $15 total if you've got a decent wall.

Flat, white paint is VERY forgiving and getting good results takes zero experience..take it from me, I'm a terrible painter.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - PJD5134 by PriceGrabber.com