Hd25e Bad colors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hd25e Bad colors?

Hey I've messed all over the menus in my new Optoma HD25e... and I just can't get the colors looking right. It looks really washed out... I'm projecting it on a 96" Pure white canvas screen in a dimly lit room and the greens, and blues just look poor... Neon green looks more like olive, and electric blue looks more like the color of water.

Any tips? Or advice on optimizing the color? I'm looking for a projector with more vibrant color maybe? My budget is 1000$- ish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
The HD25e should be able to deliver decent colors, but it doesn't use a RGB/RGB color wheel, it uses a RGBCWG (I believe) color wheel, which makes it have brighter whites, but poorer overall color comparatively. I would expect either the W1070 or the Epson 8345 to have better colors and higher brightness with those colors than the Optoma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBr View Post
Hey I've messed all over the menus in my new Optoma HD25e... and I just can't get the colors looking right. It looks really washed out... I'm projecting it on a 96" Pure white canvas screen in a dimly lit room and the greens, and blues just look poor... Neon green looks more like olive, and electric blue looks more like the color of water.

Any tips? Or advice on optimizing the color? I'm looking for a projector with more vibrant color maybe? My budget is 1000$- ish.
Try turning brilliant color down to 1. That helps color accuracy a ton.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Despite the HD25e's color wheel shortcomings, you should be able to get decent color. I use the "Reference" setting pretty much out of the box with good results. I'll occasionally drive down BrilliantColor to 1, which might improve color accuracy, but I prefer to leave it at 3 for the slight brightness push, which doesn't seem to affect color accuracy too badly. Certainly, blues are quite vivid (maybe even a bit unnaturally vivid if BrilliantColor is turned up too high).

Start with the "Reference" setting, and adjust from there. If "Reference" isn't at least close, you might have a problem that requires repair.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Color reproduction on mine HD131xe post calibration looks 95% similar to my panny GT60 plasma. Thanks to kenhd for his inputs.

Motion handling is slightly better than my Plasma. Also not much of the standard plasma artifacts seen.

Blu-ray : 340
post #6 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies, My settings right now are set to max gain for all colors (Not saturation) and Brilliant color at 10... Contrast at default . I have tried all the presets and I find that my user settings are actually better than all of them... (But still poor) I find that anything below 10 on brilliant color, white starts looking more like grey with a slight hint of orange...

Thinking about returning this and going with the BenQ... Seems like bright vibrant colors actually don't even exist on this projector... Like I tried looking at a few pictures, like a green lightsaber for example, and it looked 100% inferior to my 40" Sceptre 1080p LCD TV from walmart... I'm pretty dissapointed, only had it about a week and a half.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 133
High cms color settings on the hd25e will mess up most natural tones with brilliantcolor lower and won't help color brightness or vibrancy for high-color or neon objects either way. You NEED to turn brilliantcolor low to balance peak-white with color vibrancy, having brilliantcolor high makes white much brighter than colors which makes colors look really weak.

The Benq w1070 won't have this problem because its colors are much more vibrant and natural especially in balance to its peak white.

Your eyes judge general brightness and color brightness in compare to the brightest white in your vision at the time so balancing peak white and peak color brightness is important..having brilliantcolor high doesn't increase color brilliance, it actually LOWERS it.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
High cms color settings on the hd25e will mess up most natural tones with brilliantcolor lower and won't help color brightness or vibrancy for high-color or neon objects either way. You NEED to turn brilliantcolor low to balance peak-white with color vibrancy, having brilliantcolor high makes white much brighter than colors which makes colors look really weak.

The Benq w1070 won't have this problem because its colors are much more vibrant and natural especially in balance to its peak white.

Your eyes judge general brightness and color brightness in compare to the brightest white in your vision at the time so balancing peak white and peak color brightness is important..having brilliantcolor high doesn't increase color brilliance, it actually LOWERS it.
Yeah, I just tried turning brilliant color off, and it did exactly what you said it did, looks a little better I guess, but now it seems like white is not even really true white... Maybe I should just get the BenQ. Because I just turned brilliant color off and the color still looks really bad in my eyes...
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBr View Post
Yeah, I just tried turning brilliant color off, and it did exactly what you said it did, looks a little better I guess, but now it seems like white is not even really true white... Maybe I should just get the BenQ. Because I just turned brilliant color off and the color still looks really bad in my eyes...
Their prices are usually about the same and the w1070 does look much more natural and vibrant. If you can send back the 25e and fit the Benq, go for it!

As for white looking too dim, try leaving brilliantcolor off for a long time so your eyes get used to seeing it that way..that can help a lot. Switching back and forth, your eyes will pretty much always prefer the brighter image, so you have to give it time without using the brighter setting at all. ..but the w1070 should look much better.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Their prices are usually about the same and the w1070 does look much more natural and vibrant. If you can send back the 25e and fit the Benq, go for it!

As for white looking too dim, try leaving brilliantcolor off for a long time so your eyes get used to seeing it that way..that can help a lot. Switching back and forth, your eyes will pretty much always prefer the brighter image, so you have to give it time without using the brighter setting at all. ..but the w1070 should look much better.

The one thing holding me back from getting the BenQ is the measly 10,000:1 Constrast ratio... Is this anything to worry about? Do blacks look truely black, and whites look more like they are supposed to? Should I just save up and get a 1k$ epson? (not sure what model) Just really confused when it comes to projectors. Also I don't want high input lag, I want good gaming response times. I definately want something more colorful and rich than the Optoma HD25e... Was actually pretty dissapointed with it, once I compared it to my TV.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

The Benq measured contrast will match or beat the Optoma when they're both showing decent color, but the Benq will look brighter and more natural. Both will beat the snot out of the Epson for actual contrast and the Benq has very good/low gaming lag. The Epson will have the worst lag and worst measured contrast by a large amount.

The 10,000:1 and 15,000:1 contrast numbers are all false because manufacturers are totally allowed to make up contrast results..so they usually choose to lie..badly. You won't realistically find contrast that high without spending $3000+. You can get a measured 4000:1-6000:1 by spending $2000-2500. For under $1900, you won't likely find better than 2000:1..usually about 1500:1 and flatscreen TVs are the same unless you're looking at newer plasmas or amoled. The cheaper LCD, like epson2030 are all lower than 1000:1, often much lower (except the 8350/8345 which is at or above 1000:1).

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-15-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page