Trade my Sony LCD for a new BenQ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trade my Sony LCD for a new BenQ?

Quick question for everyone with projector knowledge. I recently purchased a home and the seller left behind his home theater setup. 106" fixed elite screen and a sony bravia 3lcd projector, VPL-AW15.

I have zero experience with projectors and was hoping to get everyone's opinion. Before I even took possession of the house, I saw the Benqw1070 deal for 699 and grabbed one not knowing the condition of the projector I was inheriting. I have now had a chance to fire up the sony and it appears to be in good working order. Problem is, I have no idea what im looking at! The picture appears to be good connected to my blu-ray player but I'm wondering if it could be even better.

Can anyone offer any comments regarding these two projectors? Should I stick with the Sony until the bulb burns out or will upgrading to a new BenQ W1070 make my viewing experience that much more enjoyable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The older Sony's don't always last that long and the w1070 is likely going to get discontinued and replaced by a more expensive version that adds mhl (not important on a PJ that already has a USB) so the price will never be better. I'd grab a w1070 while they're cheap and use it a few weeks to make sure it's not a rare lemon (best to make sure before packing it away and losing the ability to get it exchanged if there's a problem). Then either sell the Sony while it's good or pack away the w1070 and use the Sony until something breaks.

I'm not sure on the used value of the 15, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on how it compares and what you might expect to sell it for.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The older Sony's don't always last that long and the w1070 is likely going to get discontinued and replaced by a more expensive version that adds mhl (not important on a PJ that already has a USB) so the price will never be better. I'd grab a w1070 while they're cheap and use it a few weeks to make sure it's not a rare lemon (best to make sure before packing it away and losing the ability to get it exchanged if there's a problem). Then either sell the Sony while it's good or pack away the w1070 and use the Sony until something breaks.

I'm not sure on the used value of the 15, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on how it compares and what you might expect to sell it for.
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I definitely agree that I'll probably never find the 1070 cheaper. I am really interested if anyone can comment as to the difference in picture quality between these two. And you brought up a good idea to sell the sony possibly...anyone know what I could ask for it?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

For picture quality, the w1070 has a lot of major qualities that are absolutely top-notch that can't really be improved upon..so the w1070 will definitely match or beat the Sony for; brightness, color accuracy (even right out of the box, likely), 3D performance, input lag, fast-motion resolution, and lamp life.

They should both have very good/clear focus with the Sony having a more expensive lens while the w1070 has the singlechipDLP advantage of perfect alignment.

The Sony will have more placement options with its flexible lens-shift and zoom, while the w1070 will need to be placed a few inches above (or below) the screen and roughly one foot back for every 10inches of screen diagonal.

The Sony could easily have a contrast advantage, but the w1070 performs very well for its price. I'd expect the Sony to have darker blacks..noticeably, but not fully mind-blowing. That'll be the only real image difference to expect the Sony to have any advantage.

The Sony is almost definitely the quieter projector when running as well, the newer ones can be practically silent.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
For picture quality, the w1070 has a lot of major qualities that are absolutely top-notch that can't really be improved upon..so the w1070 will definitely match or beat the Sony for; brightness, color accuracy (even right out of the box, likely), 3D performance, input lag, fast-motion resolution, and lamp life.

They should both have very good/clear focus with the Sony having a more expensive lens while the w1070 has the singlechipDLP advantage of perfect alignment.

The Sony will have more placement options with its flexible lens-shift and zoom, while the w1070 will need to be placed a few inches above (or below) the screen and roughly one foot back for every 10inches of screen diagonal.

The Sony could easily have a contrast advantage, but the w1070 performs very well for its price. I'd expect the Sony to have darker blacks..noticeably, but not fully mind-blowing. That'll be the only real image difference to expect the Sony to have any advantage.

The Sony is almost definitely the quieter projector when running as well, the newer ones can be practically silent.
That's a lot of good information! Thank you very much. If I decide to keep using the Sony, can you tell me how i can verify that it is set up properly as far as settings are concerned? I've searched this forum for info for that specific projector and did not find much. I also know it's a 720p projector compared to the 1080p benq, will that difference be very apparent on my 106" screen? Thanks again for your help
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Deep color management (cms) settings can only be set by eye if they are very far off..usually best left alone otherwise.
Brightness contrast color tint sharpness settings are generally easy to set by eye with help froma free test-pattern disk or certain movie scenes. I'm not sure if you're asking about that, or about mounting specifics..I'm a little slow.

The difference in resolution should be visible as long as you're sitting closer than 15-20ft away. While I believe you'll appreciate the upgrade of full 1080, I doubt you'll be blown away from the difference but the added crispness and clarity is a very good thing if you plan to sit close-ish. At 8-12ft. most people really prefer 1080 and a 106" screen is nothing to sneeze at.
You've basically acquired a tv that's the size of four "normal" tv's.
Have fun
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page