AVS Forum banner

Help me choose between these 3 projectors please

974 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Soul_Reaper_SKN 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Building a home theatre at home and I'm looking at getting the epson 2030 or Optoma H25e/Lv. The thing I want to know is which projector gives the best picture quality in 2D and 3D. If anyone one can point me in right direction as to which to buy ?

Thanks.:)

#2 ·
For your first projector anyone of those would be fine. The BenQ 1070 is the most popular now, just look at its thread, it has almost 10,000 posts and 1.5 million reads. I would only recommend the Epson if you are extremely RBE sensitive, or have very low ceilings as it has a somewhat positive offset. The optima's are good if you need the longer throw, but the BenQ is king right now if it will fit your room

#3 · (Edited)
Listed specs for tv's and projectors are largely inflated, brightness can be exaggerated and contrast is often a complete lie because there's nobody controlling or policing the methods or accuracy.

The w1070 can beat the balanced brightness of the 25e/131xe by 2X, beats the LV by a smaller amount, and matches the Epson. The w1070 beats the balanced contrast of the Optoma's by 50% or more and beats the Epson by 2X-3X.

The w1070 outperforms the Optoma's by a significant amount for color accuracy and has very good settings right out of the box.

The w1070 has clearer 3D with less ghosting than the Epson and less washed-out colors than the Optoma's. The Optoma's can use an external emitter and the often better performing glasses that pair with the technology, but the estar DLP-link glasses are said to perform so well with the w1070 that it makes the 25e/emitter combo a moot point.

The w1070 is usually less expensive than the 25e, 25LV, and Epson while only costing a tiny bit more than the 131xe.

If you can fit the w1070 to your desired screen-size, it's the one to get.

#7 · (Edited)
Original hd25 is good, but I'm assuming you're talking about the hd25e which is exactly the same as the much cheaper hd131xe. It has easier placement and better contrast and 3D than the Epson, but don't get the hd25e or the brighter LV..get the hd25 or hd131xe.

What area are you buying from? Bestbuy stopped carrying Benq, but Walmart is selling the w1070. Amazon is cheaper, but it's understandable if you prefer not to buy online.

#8 ·
The location is South Africa, so that limits things and changes costs and everything else that is associated with our non-USA buying friends.

Yeah, the W1070 is the 'best' under $1,500 projector on the market right now in terms of image quality and value.

The Optoma models are still very good. The Optoma HD25 (not the HD25e or HD25LV) is also a excellent model, but if you are thinking HD25e (or LV) then just get the HD131x instead. As described (very well) above, it's basically the same model and saves some cash. But, the HD131x (and 25e, and 25LV) use 2x color wheels which may introduce RBE issues. If that's the case, you will want a DLP with a faster color wheel, or a LCD projector like the 2030.

Not one of these projectors is 'bad'. They range from very good to great. So, you should expect to be happy no matter which you purchase.

Do your homework on throw distance, and lens offset, as these models vary significantly from one another. You can't just 'pick' a place for a projector - it has a distance and height it MUST be placed at, and they are all different from each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.