Buying a Epson 5030, where? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-18-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buying a Epson 5030, where?

Any recommendations on a dealer and/or a street price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No one has purchased this? Bueller......Bueller.....Bueller
post #3 of 11 Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ProjectorPeople.com is a reputable site. They currently have the Epson 5030 with two pairs of 3D glasses for $2500 with free 2 day shipping.

They also have the Panasonic PT-AE8000U for $2250 + $350 mail in rebate (so $1900 final price). I can't tell you which is better as I don't know myself. I'm pretty new to projectors and home theater but I've read that these two (this Panasonic and your Epson) are high quality and very popular. I've also read AVS users vouching for Projetor People so they're legit.

If you want more info on that Panny you can ask around here or do some sleuthing online. Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by theXecutioner; 07-20-2014 at 10:21 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I bought mine at Best Buy. Wanted the points, and the street price is pretty much the same everywhere.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 76
the 5030 really can't be bought for MUCH less than MSRP anywhere. $2499-$2599 is standard everywhere. Best buy, Amazon, Projector People etc are all reliable. just point and choose
post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Yeah, Epson controls dealer pricing very closely. That's why they throw in some items (calibration DVD, glasses, mount) instead of discounting the price. Visual Apex is another good place to buy, and they often have last year's model (5020) refurbished for some savings.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
VisualApex and ProjectorPeople are great places to buy from.

Worth asking why this would be chosen over the Sony 40ES?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
VisualApex and ProjectorPeople are great places to buy from.

Worth asking why this would be chosen over the Sony 40ES?
May I ask the counter question? Why do you see the Sony as obviously better than the Epson? Projectorreviews.com picked the Epson over the Sony in their latest shoutout. I'm not saying that you're incorrect, but the position that the Sony is superior is not obvious to me, based on what I have read.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I don't see the Sony as a great deal better, but you can get a better price on it typically, and LCoS has had a history of stronger product reliability. Since I don't like how a dynamic iris looks when in use, and it creates an additional failure point of operation in a projector, I like that Sony does not use this. The very fast video game response time is a nice plus. As is the post calibration brightness level.

Unless I'm reading the review wrong, I can't get beyond the second page, and figure out why the Sony was picked as #2 behind the Epson.

Projector Central really boils down how similar the two are:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...-vs-Epson-5030

Which is why I would take the Sony. You get a very similar image, but Sony doesn't have the repeated lamp issues which has plagued Epson for years now, and I don't want DI, or need the same level of placement flexibility that the Epson has. I do need the brightness which the Sony offers.

I've installed a dozen or so Epson models and about the same number of LCoS models (mostly JVC) and I have yet to see a Epson which looks as good as LCoS. Which, of course, could change with the new Sony. I won't personally know until my upcoming installation Sony projector arrives.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM

All fair points. I could see how the two projectors are very competitive with each other, and getting the Sony for $600 less would make it the better value. It does seem to be a bit based on personal preferences and prior product/ service history.

Here are the links for the Sony and Epson shoot out reviews. He hasn't gotten the links all sorted out for this article. You are correct- he rated the two as very close to each other.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/comp...ter-projector/
http://www.projectorreviews.com/comp...cinema-5030ub/
post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My conclusion is He like the Epson better' it has better black scenes for sure. And better 3d performance due to it using the better Technology RF over the Sonys IR , Their is a fix though updating the sony to RF at a cost of $200, the Sony has a shaper picture he mentions and I would say better color also. Epson more lens shift and throw. Really a close call. This is my problem now also which one' I am lookin at the Epson 5020 b stock for $1899. But I do hear that sony in a few weeks will lower the price of the HW40 back to $1999. Might have to jump on that. Plus I do like a black projector since my ceiling is black.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page