Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
EPSON - EH-TW3000 Broken FPC connector on green LCD channel

Hi everyone,

This must be my first thread on this nice forum and which I found to be very informative for many years now. I admit, I haven't been much of a contributor There's a first to everything
I have noticed that there are plenty of technical gurus around here and maybe one or more of you could help me out on the following problem.

I inherited of a nice EH-TW3000 EPSON projector which has been working flawlessly at a friends house for many years. It had only one problem, sometimes the green LCD channel went totally berserk, in other words, the screen went completely green from time to time or sometimes it just showed some green vertical stripes. It could not do it for months and then suddenly 10x a week. It only started like a year after warranty was over ( isn't that always the case ).

As an electronic engineer I decided to have a look inside the projector and I rapidly found the problem. The green LCD channel FFC / FPC connector actuator was wrongly seated in the connector, it was only held on one end inside the connector (pin), the other end's pin was not properly seated (skew as seen parallel to the connector) and I could see that some parts of the actuator's comb were detached inside the connector. It must have been like that since my friend bought it as he assured me he never opened it for any other reason but changing the lamp (and that doesn't even require removing the complete cover).

Unfortunately I was not able to remove the bad seated actuator without breaking it, even if it were still in one piece, parts of the comb was missing and so of no use when reseated. After that I could remove the remains of the comb that pushes the pins down on the flex cable with the use of a needle and some magnifier glasses.

I have added some images to make the "picture" complete.

If I could find such a connector I could replace the actuator and hope that it solves the situation. I guess that sending the unit to Epson for repair will cost me an arm and a leg.

- Can anyone tell me what connector brand this is?
- Anyone has these connectors (84 pins) or knows where to find it? I've searched the net for hours, to no avail, plenty of look a likes but not the right type.
- I saw a 2nd hand EH-TW2900 on e-bay for about EUR 400, but this is a lot of money for a connector actuator and I don't even know whether EPSON used the same type in that model.
- Maybe someone has another idea on how to solve the issue.

All input is very well appreciated,
Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
Michel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 13.57.36.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	171370   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 13.57.59.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	171378   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 12.59.09.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	171386   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 13.54.20.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	171394  

Last edited by MBullen; 07-20-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBullen View Post
As an electronic engineer I decided to have a look inside the projector and I rapidly found the problem. The green LCD channel FFC / FPC connector actuator was wrongly seated in the connector, it was only held on one end inside the connector (pin), the other end's pin was not properly seated (skew as seen parallel to the connector) and I could see that some parts of the actuator's comb were detached inside the connector. It must have been like that since my friend bought it as he assured me he never opened it for any other reason but changing the lamp (and that doesn't even require removing the complete cover).

Unfortunately I was not able to remove the bad seated actuator without breaking it, even if it were still in one piece, parts of the comb was missing and so of no use when reseated. After that I could remove the remains of the comb that pushes the pins down on the flex cable with the use of a needle and some magnifier glasses.
I know exactly what part you're talking about, I was just inside my projector to clean out a dust blob. These clips hold the ribbon cables that come up from the LCD panels, they are flipped up to release tension on the ribbon cable and allow the removal.

That said I think you're going to have a problem locating such a unique item since I think they only come as an integral part of the A P.C. circuit board.

I did find this website and pdf document but no luck in finding even the A P.C. board.

http://www.gedat-spareparts.com/epso...EH-TW3000/list

Perhaps someday you will locate a TW3000 selling for parts. Or someone else knows of a work-around. Good luck.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I know exactly what part you're talking about, I was just inside my projector to clean out a dust blob. These clips hold the ribbon cables that come up from the LCD panels, they are flipped up to release tension on the ribbon cable and allow the removal.

That said I think you're going to have a problem locating such a unique item since I think they only come as an integral part of the A P.C. circuit board.

I did find this website and pdf document but no luck in finding even the A P.C. board.

http://www.gedat-spareparts.com/epso...EH-TW3000/list

Perhaps someday you will locate a TW3000 selling for parts. Or someone else knows of a work-around. Good luck.
Hi Mr. G,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Yes, I already came across http://www.gedat-spareparts.com/epso...EH-TW3000/list and the explosion view PDF.
Looks like it will be the search for the needle in a hay stack.

I still hope to find someone who has that needle though.
Was looking to buy another decent projector ASAP but it would be a shame to let that one on the shelf just for a silly issue.

Thanks again,
Michel
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - EH-TW3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page