What are the best projectors for this room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are the best projectors for this room?

Hey guys,

I'm just starting to look into projectors instead of 'BATV' (big-ass TVs). it is a basement, but will have white walls (or off-white). room is 20' wide and will be projected on a wall perpendicular to the window. There will be lighting most times in the room as it has a bar and we will be watching sports during parties. We will also pull shades for movie time.

So - I am assuming I need relatively high lumens for the lighted situations. But I definitely want: HD, 3D, Smart (if possible, but have a Roku), and wireless would be nice. And will be at least 100", probably 120-130"

Also - during non-tv watching, I was thinking of pushing photos onto the wall with an app of some sort.

Any suggestions? I see a lot out there and am simply lost at this point because every time I look I go a new direction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogi View Post
Hey guys,

I'm just starting to look into projectors instead of 'BATV' (big-ass TVs). it is a basement, but will have white walls (or off-white). room is 20' wide and will be projected on a wall perpendicular to the window. There will be lighting most times in the room as it has a bar and we will be watching sports during parties. We will also pull shades for movie time.

So - I am assuming I need relatively high lumens for the lighted situations. But I definitely want: HD, 3D, Smart (if possible, but have a Roku), and wireless would be nice. And will be at least 100", probably 120-130"

Also - during non-tv watching, I was thinking of pushing photos onto the wall with an app of some sort.

Any suggestions? I see a lot out there and am simply lost at this point because every time I look I go a new direction!
Benqw1070 will do everything you want except the Smart tv for 800 bucks or less if you can find a sale. Wireless Hdmi will be available in an updated model soon.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Another vote for BenQ's W1070; but no projector will handle sunlight landing directly onto the screen, so that needs to be addressed; you'll likely use those window-shades more often than you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogi View Post

Traditional projectors use lamps with finite lamp life (the W1070 is rated up to 6000 hours), so you're not going to want to waste lamp-hours projecting photos

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Buy a BATV if you care about the quality of the image. White wall and ceiling will wash out your image with not other light source other than the screen itself, never mind sun light..it will be big but not good.. More to it than putting up a screen and shining a projector on it.. Sort of why it is called a hobby if you want to do it correctly. Not sayin you can't fix the problems of wall and ceiling color, just wanted to make you aware before you are upset about spending $2000 on projector and screen and not liking the image.

Then again, many people don't really care one way or another if the image is not as good as it could be with the proper room treatments.
Good luck and take your time, read a lot and understand all the compromises that must be made as you go forward with the project so as not to waste your time and money with something you are not happy with in the end.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page