AVS Forum banner

Optoma HD131X vs BENQ W1070 vs ???

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ftoast 
#1 ·
Whats up guys.
I have a problem here, i cannot choose between these projectors.
For me most important is COLOUR, after that comes the INPUT LAG (yeah ama hot gansta in gta or aos) then comes the 3d and only after that comes the brightness and other stuff that usually is useless.
I can darken the room as much it is possible, so brightness is not a problem.
I have been googling slightly for one week and today I did it all day, and shorted a big list of projectors to two - optoma hd131x and benq w1070. The point is, I don`t know, which is better.
You know, optoma has more contrast (like 18k) and can use RF glasses that don`t make my eyes come out as water, but it is cheaper and I don`t know what to do with this.

ALSO I noticed that these models are pretty old (they came up like 1.5 years ago) and it might happen that a new version of these will come out, even CHEAPER. So, i dunno, maybe these versions already came out? I thought to buy the ACER H7532BD because of the UNBELIVEABLE 50k contrast, bud some people told me it is because of the dynamic thing and anyway it won`t affect much. Also I thought about some viewsonic models but they also came out as not so good.

The distance to the projector will be 2.7-3 meters and the screen will be like 236 cm wide, I used dat online calc and it fitted. The optoma will fit too.
Also, sorry for offtop, I noticed it is on amazon like 800$, here it is like $1k, dats not so boring but it makes a litle mistakes, for examplem the MH689 (or what is it) costs here like 1200$ when on amazon it`s like 700$ lol.

So, people, what should I take to don`t miss? I am planning to use that piece at least 5 years, so If it will be bad - dat would be sad. Maybe you know new trends and other things? Uhm?

See less See more
#3 ·
Uhm, this is hard to decide.
Colour accuracy might include black colour.
Uhm, you know, I would like beautifull colours, but black is also important a lot. That`s hard to decide. And unfortunately there is no youtube videos where these two projectors are being compared.
Maybe someone used both of them?
And, one more. How much worse is the 3d on BENQ w1070 than with the optoma?

#4 ·
It's honestly a toss up. I don't believe color accuracy is referring to nlack levels.
Optoma can be tweaked on color accuracy, but I believe your stuck with the black levels on the benq.
Use the search function and you'll see where it has been reviewed. Either one you get will be fine. Like I said though, make sure you know what the throw range is. Benq has a lot short throw than the optoma.
Can't go wrong with either.

#5 ·
This is discussed here all the time...

Start here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-3-000-usd-msrp/1603650-hd25e-bad-colors.html

The HD25e has the same color wheel and lamp as the HD131xe (and is usually more expensive); so if color is important to you, go BenQ (which's black level can be improved either by getting an ND Filter or just switching to Lamp Eco Mode); or wait for Optoma's HD50.

A bit more reading here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...26-new-entry-level-full-hd-dlp-projector.html

#6 ·
The general consensus is that the Optoma has better black levels, but the actual color brightness and accuracy doesn't match up with the W1070, which is best-in-class for those areas (though you can calibrate the Optoma to be close, and the black level difference is wiped out if you have bright walls). The W1070 is also easier to place thanks to having a bit of lens shift, while the Optoma has better 3D thanks to having RF rather than relying on DLP link (though the W1070 is no slouch in that area with the proper glasses, and the Optoma may be easier to place depending on the throw length you need). The W1070 can have issues with noisy fans or dust blobs, the Optoma can have issues with focus not being equal across the entire picture.

The big factor for me in choosing the W1070, in addition to the more accurate colors, is the faster color wheel, which makes the rainbow effect inherent in DLP much harder to see on the W1070 than on Optoma's 25e family (which the HD131xe is a part of). Everything else seems to have a tradeoff somewhere, but that's pretty solidly in the W1070's court and it's what pushed me over.

#7 ·
The w1070 has better color even in higher contrast settings than the 131xe does in its best attempts. The w1070 has great colors straight out of the box without even needing to mess with it.

They both have VERY good/fast input lag, likely the best you'll ever find without spending a lot more or dropping to a lower resolution model.

They both have very good 3D performance (particularly with the estar glasses, I've heard), and the 131xe can get a slight advantage if you spend extra money to get an emitter for it. The w1070 will have better, less washed-out looking colors in 3D, either way.

The w1070 has a large contrast advantage compared to the 131xe when they are both trying to be color-accurate. The higher contrast means the w1070 can use a $15 NDfilter and have darker blacks, brighter whites AND better colors than the 131xe.

The 131xe has a more noisy, grainy looking image, especially with higher brilliantcolor settings or with dymamic-black on.

The 131xe runs quieter than the w1070.
The w1070 can have more uniform focus, but both projectors are pretty sharp and you might not even notice a difference.

The newer model w1070+ is MORE expensive and doesn't really add anything of value over the current model..so the w1070 (older) is the one to get.
The newer hd50 is likely going to be at a much higher price and will probably be hard to find for a while yet.

Edit: for whatever it's worth, I owned both the hd131xe and the w1070.

#8 ·
They both have very good 3D performance (particularly with the estar glasses, I've heard), and the 131xe can get a slight advantage if you spend extra money to get an emitter for it. The w1070 will have better, less washed-out looking colors in 3D, either way.

The w1070 has a large contrast advantage compared to the 131xe when they are both trying to be color-accurate. The higher contrast means the w1070 can use a $15 NDfilter and have darker blacks, brighter whites AND better colors than the 131xe.

The 131xe has a more noisy, grainy looking image, especially with higher brilliantcolor settings or with dymamic-black on.
Okay, thank you, that`s a lot of useful information.
Optoma can be tweaked on color accuracy, but I believe your stuck with the black levels on the benq.
Also, how far I am right now, I got that optoma is better on black colours, but benq is better on other colours because of the colour wheel. Also The benq colour wheel rotates at 6x speed, when optoma has a wheel that rotates at 5x.
The HD25e has the same color wheel and lamp as the HD131xe (and is usually more expensive); so if color is important to you, go BenQ (which's black level can be improved either by getting an ND Filter or just switching to Lamp Eco Mode); or wait for Optoma's HD50
Also, I hope the colour will get improved with a ND Filter, I didn`t know about it before. Thank you.
I will make a right decision after some thoughts, but my mind is turning to benq, because the 3d has better colours (according to the reply in this thread), and better colours at 2d mode. Unfortunately, it won`t have clear black, but it`s a budget pj, I have to understand that I won`t get good black colours anyway, my celling is white and the screen will be white. By the way, maybe it will get better with a ND Fildter, will try. Thanks for your advices, it`s a great forum.

#9 ·
Light and dark colors are better on the w1070, but without using an NDfilter (which darkens the picture) the Optoma's dimmer lamp lets it have darker blacks.

The w1070 colorwheel can refresh 6X and the Optoma can refresh 3X. It doesn't improve colors with the speed, but makes RBE less visible for those who see it.
The w1070 colorwheel having only red/green/blue segments is what makes its colors so good.

The NDfilter is something to use to darken the image more if eco-mode is still too bright. It won't change colors or their accuracy. The darks on the Benq can only be beaten meaningfully by spending about 3X as much money on a more expensive projector and darkening your walls/ceiling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.