AVS Forum banner

Bought a LG PF87k

13K views 80 replies 17 participants last post by  erdi01 
#1 ·
Heyas, I'm new here but been lurking for a while.

Just bought a LG PF87k :) the 3D version - there are 3 on eBay.

While i'm waiting for it to arrive, i wanted to get some English remote controls.

I see lots of the magic remotes on eBay, but i was after the other remote.

Does anyone know where i can get the standard remote for a PF87k, i assume it would be the same as a PF85k ? or any other projector model.

#3 · (Edited)
I don't know if i need a converter

i would assume if it can do 3d in 1080p @ 120hz it would have hdmi 1.4, don't you mean hdmi 2.0?, hdmi 1.4 has been out for 5 years.

As for the glasses i assume it would be the same glasses as the old version, pa75k ? has 3D DLP, but the resolution was 1200x800

I think the PF87k has focus by turning the front lens, not sure if all models had that. the zoom i think is done through the menus

Will post more when it arrives.

#6 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Unit has arrived,

Watched Avatar last night, was amazing quality, I've never owned another projector so i can't compare it to anything else.

Also bought a LG BP540 3d blu-ray player and a cheap Teac set top box($40) - so the TV images are pretty crap

Not sure what info you want but Here's a bunch of pictures all taken during the day on my android phone (crap camera) - so lots of light coming in through the windows with dark curtains. Projecting on beige coloured wall with no screen.

projected Image dimensions 2.3m x 1.3m throw distance is 3.2 meters to the lens.

http://imgur.com/a/igwcS#23

Regional settings can be either Korean or Other. YouTube and some apps are Korean regional (in English but must be pointing to You Tube Korea)

The inbuilt TV tuner wont pick up Australian Channels

Can't test the 3D yet, the pair of AG-S230 LG glasses i bought don't work (unless i'm doing something wrong) - I have 2 pairs of Genuine OPTOMA 3D TV DLP-LINK Active SHUTTER Eyewear Glasses BG-ZD-301 HD25 HD33 from eBay coming
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261519030188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

First thing i noticed was Tru-Motion was making the movies look like soap operas, so i turned that off.

Images are in the linked album above.

Attachments

#14 ·
Unit has arrived,

Not sure what info you want but
1st of all thank you for your pictures.
for me its about these points:
- do we need additional hardware (besides the glasses and a 3d source) to enjoy 3d from BLU-RAYS
- how good or bad is the chromatic abberation on your device?
- how good or bad is the uniformity in sharpess/focus (some areas a little bit out of focus when others are perfectly focused?)

#20 ·
great info,i like it very much,The projector may also offer options for other types of 3D syncing to be used. Such as an external RF emitter of some sort. But, that has extra cost, while with DLP Link you can get
very good performance right out of the box with some decent DLP Link glasses.thanks

#21 ·
Bought an english magic a400 black remote from ebay, looks exactly the same but doesn't work.

On the back of my original one is the serial number, AN-MR400K

On the back of the ebay one is AN-MR400G/NB

Waste of money.

Was going to try swap the covers, but meh can't pull it apart.

#35 ·
I have the LG PA75U and yes indeed it can be installed from the ceiling, at least as the LG PA75U is concerned.
Other than the LG PF87K being the Korean version, and 3D , perhaps a few other features, I would go on and guess that the placement of the projector is the same as the LG PF80G 80U.
I down loaded the LG PF80G manual and checking to see where the placement menu is for this projector.
OK, I found it, it's on page 56 under customized settings/option settings.
Under PJT mode.
At least that is what it is for the LG PF80G.
I would guess it's the same for the LG PF87K.
It's the same menu with the icon of a silver brief case with a wrench on it.
In the menu you have.
Language.
Caption.
Standby Light.
PJT Mode.
Auto Keystone.
Blank Image.

Hope that helps.

#38 ·
Anyone imported this projector to Germany or the EU? I'm really considering this, because it isn't available here and it seems not to be available in the near future. When importing, total charges will be about 1450 €, while the here available PF80G whith much less features will cost about 1120 €.

Disregarding the remote (language) and possible warranty problems, which other problems would you worry about?

Best regards
Thomas

#39 ·
ich hoffe auch ganz stark auf eine entsprechende ankündigung/vorstellung auf der ifa. bisher sieht es aber nicht gut aus.
alleine schon aus garantiegründen würde ich dir vom import abraten. in deutschland sind es 3 jahre, in korea und usa dürfte es nur 1 jahr sein. es könnte gut sein, dass du garantieansprüche nicht über lg deutschland wahrnehmen kannst. dann sitzt du auf sehr teuren hinsendekosten. mal davon abgesehen, dass du gegenüber dem händler auch keine gewährleistungsansprüche hast. in deutschland sind es 2 jahre.
hinzu kommt, dass du einen adapter wegen den abweichenden stromnetzen benötigst.
@PittyH
i'm a little bit concerned ... still no final confirmation that full hd 3d functions without additional hardware with your new glasses. what about your comments regarding the focus uniformity and visibility of chromatic abberation?

#48 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

I set this up in the living room for my dad, so i haven't really touched it much (i'm on my computer in my room) but he is using it every day, and it is still going strong (he is always using netflix :) )

Yes i got my glasses and yes they worked for Avatar (the little white floating pollen in avatar looked like they were in the middle of the room) but overall i think 3D is a gimmick to be honest only to be used once in a blue moon.

I bought an English magic remote from eBay. it never worked cause it was the wrong model.. Dad is using the korean magic remote just fine.

The LG projector is in English just some of the features are missing like Netflix, but once you plug in an external box with Netflix like a WDLIVETV or the other one, you get all the functionality back.

I haven't tested the clarity with that special picture yet, i will try to soon.

I still recommend this unit, i'm very happy with it, it was a great purchase.

#58 ·
Hi everybody,

Focus:
As promised, here the picture with the test pattern. You will see, that the focus isn't as uniform as expected. I'll see whether I could take a better picture without any JPEG-compression.
http://www.sternwarte-reichenbach.de/temp/Testbild_LGPF87K_004.JPG
Picture mode is "standard" in highest eco mode, the image is approx. 192 cm x 108 cm and the projector has been runnning approx. 1 hour before I took the picture. Nevertheless, focus is much better than the Acer K335 and the LG PA1000 were displaying to me.

3D works easily. The projector instantly recognizes the 3D content, feeded by a Blu-Ray Player Sony BDP-S5200 over a Ligawo 2x2 HDMI Splitter and 15 m cable. The glasses are Excelvan (ASIN: B00CXO3YMC). The cath in it is, that quick motions in the "front", so not the entire picture appear a bit jerky, even if "true motion" feature is turned off or feeding from USB and playing a sbs-mkv. So I dont't know where this comes from.

The fan noise in max. eco mode is louder than the LG PA1000 was, and a bit quieter than the Acer K335.

Brightness: max. eco mode is really sufficient for watching movies.

I really love the extensive picture settings even in 3D mode and the file browser. I wasn't able to initialize other LG Premium apps besides the installed (Youtube, Facebook, picasa, VTuner), but wireless features are great.

So my short conclusion: the item is worth its money, even if the focus could be much better.

#61 ·
Digital Zoom sucks...
Has anyone tried 120Hz resolutions on the LG PF87K?
I also didn't know for what i needed digital zoom.

I recently tried to feed the PF87K from PC with 120 Hz (custom resolutions 1920x1080p @ 120 Hz and 1280x720p @ 120 Hz). The projector didn't accept both. So I assume that it does a maximum of 60 Hz, even in 3D mode. That would explain the jerky picture in 3D mode. I think this might be possible with DLP link technology.

Below, you'll find a brightness comparison between:
projector LG PF87K, in min. eco-mode, standard picture settings, approx 1,92 x 1,08 m and
TV LG 37LM611S (37" LED) in a darkened room. But you can believe me, that the sensed difference is not that obvious.

Attachments