Optoma H31 - Need to upgrade & have questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Optoma H31 - Need to upgrade & have questions

Hey folks.. I've had an Optoma H31 for probably 8 years. (can't believe I'm still on the original bulb)

Anyway.. it's getting pretty dim and rather than replace the bulb I'd like to upgrade to a 1080P projector with HDMI inputs.

My question is, I don't want to have to move my screen up or down or the brackets I have mounted on my ceiling to change the throw distance so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good replacement model that will have the same throw distance etc so I won't have to worry about all that.

EDIT: forgot to mention I have a 7' drop ceiling and a throw distance of up to about 12' & a 100" screen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by IFLYHi; 07-21-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYHi View Post
Hey folks.. I've had an Optoma H31 for probably 8 years. (can't believe I'm still on the original bulb)

Anyway.. it's getting pretty dim and rather than replace the bulb I'd like to upgrade to a 1080P projector with HDMI inputs.

My question is, I don't want to have to move my screen up or down or the brackets I have mounted on my ceiling to change the throw distance so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good replacement model that will have the same throw distance etc so I won't have to worry about all that.

EDIT: forgot to mention I have a 7' drop ceiling and a throw distance of up to about 12' & a 100" screen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Just fooling around with the BenQ calculator..

My current setup is in the basement with a 7' drop ceiling. I have the H31 on a universal mount and the lens is probably 2" below the ceiling tile.

Current throw distance is ~12 feet to my 100" 16:9 screen. Current screen is about 1' from the floor and 2' from the ceiling.

I would rather not move the screen but I do have room to move the projector throw IF i go closer. Can't go any further than the current 12'.

According to the BenQ calculator, I would need to move the new projector up to a throw of 8' 4".

Also on the BenQ calculator if I run the zoom all the way to 1.3 I can have a throw of 10' 10" so I assume I have that much room to play with (8' 4" to 10' 10")

If I click the "lens shift" option it says I have vertical coverage of 2'5" and I don't know what that means?

It also says the projector distance from the ceiling for these numbers would be 1'7"?? Does that mean I would have to drop the projector down that far to get it lined up? Can I use the lens shift and leave it close to the 7' mark?

Just want to confirm all this before I take the plunge!

Thanks for any input!
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Optoma H31 - Need to upgrade & have questions

I'm assuming you're referring to the BenQ W1070?
Your distance calculations look good. As you can tell, you'll need to move the mount a bit closer.

By default, the W1070 when ceiling-mounted projects with the top of the projected image just a few inches below the center of the lens.
Its lens shift then let's you push the image a bit further down; by just a few inches further.

So ideally, you want to mount the projector at roughly the height of the top of the screen.

That's pretty much it!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - W1070? by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page