AVS Forum banner

"Stop Gap" Home Theater used equip reccomendation needed

452 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Verge2 
#1 ·
I just bought a house and will be getting the basement remodeled to accommodate a media room. In the mean time, I want to get something decent for the room so I can watch sports, movies, etc.

I just sold my 65" Mits DLP and hope a decent used projector and screen could be had for $1500 or less and still be better than buying a 70" LCD ... yes?

One example... locally separate people selling Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 and 2000 projectors. 5010 is $700 / 2000 is $500.
... Is it worth getting the an older unit that is better? Noise is also a consideration since it will be in an open room (approx 15' wide x 25' long x 9' ceiling)

Please make a few reccomendations as to what to look for on ebay/craigslist that would be worthy or keeping for a year until my remodel is done.

thanks for the help!

#2 ·
IMO - Why are you looking at a stop gap?

There are excellent projectors around $2,000ish which should be the projector you use when the room is completed. Get the right projector now, and use a cheap screen until the basement is finished if you are thinking it will only be a year or so away. 4K isn't hear yet, and waiting 5 years or so on 4K projectors will likely save you thousands of dollars.

But, a model like the Sony 40ES is a nearly silent 1080p projector with great placement flexibility and should serve you well for years to come.

I would NOT buy used myself, but if you want to go 'cheap', then the BenQ W1070 is still one of the best options out there.

#3 ·
$700 for a 5010 that you can see it working before purchase is a good buy. Look for dust blobs, convergence problems and burnt polarizers. Buying blind is always a gamble and if you can't afford to lose all of your money if the projector is faulty as these projectors are not worth the high cost of most repairs. $500 for the 2000 is a so so deal and again 1/4 the projector the 5010 was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.