Value of used projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Value of used projector?

Random question...is there anywhere to determine a fair price for selling a used projector? I recently moved and will be selling some of my A/V gear since I do not have the room to utilize it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I think there are three things that tumble in value very quickly:

1) display devices (monitors, projectors, etc.), particularly in the face of new emerging standards like 4K, Rec2020, and so on

2) hardware players (DVD, Blu-ray, etc.), particularly as physical media continues to fade out from the marketplace

3) surround components (receivers, decoders, etc.), as standards change and new things get added, like Atmos.

I have a couple of HD projectors lying around here, both so old they had no HDMI connection. Each cost well over $10,000 in its day. I'd be very lucky if somebody would come by and give me $100 just to take them away.

And I also have at least a couple of $3000+ DVD players lying around. They're very well-made, they still work, but who wants to look at standard-def today?

My old maxim is: "everything in consumer electronics eventually winds up selling for $50 on eBay." I don't care what it is. What's particularly sad is when you have (say) a $5000 state-of-the-art surround preamp from 2005. No 7.1, very little HDMI support, no Atmos, no Auro... that's gonna be very tough to get rid of. It's kinda like buying a $250,000 Ferrari and knowing it goes down $25,000 in price the moment you roll off the lot.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just take a look through EBay and see what comparable projectors are sold for. Not the asking price because most people ask way too much for their used projectors.
Marc Wielage likes this.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
It really depends on what projector it is. If it's anything 720p don't expect more than a couple hundred dollars unless it's 3-chip DLP from Sim2. I've seen a few Sim2 CXE 720p models go for about $2000. Other than that, any other 720p unit will sell for dirt cheap at less than $300. If it's 1080p it depends on how old it is and what technology it is (DLP, LCoS, or 3LCD). Don't expect more than $2000 unless it's a current model retailing for more than that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Depends on the model I think. I bought a w1080st for 799 and sold it for 660 after a years use so It was not to big of a loss.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
For those that asked, it is an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100 that I purchased back in late 2008. I used it less than 2 years and it has been stored for the past few years.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
It's an out of warranty, 6 year old projector.

You will want to take lots of photos of it in use, and understand that the Epson 2030 will produce a better image for around $1,000 new with a new lamp and warranty. The BenQ W1070 at $750ish will do better as well.

So, if you got $500 for it, I would consider that pretty high.

If selling online, you will want to fire up the projector, show it working, and take lots of photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page