AVS Forum banner

Help Request - Finding Low-Mid-High end Projectors for big presentation space.

540 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  vangeliss 
#1 ·
The wall space is - 108 inches from top to bottom, and 22ft across.

People will be viewing the screen from up to 58 feet in distance.

I need to find Low-Mid-High end projectors and discuss the pros and cons for each tier. Any recommendations?

I have to also find the right screen for this type of viewing distance, does anyone have any resources?

#2 ·
Since you are limited by screen height a 220" screen is the max for a 16:9 screen. Most venues of this size require a commercial projector such as a Christi. Bottom line is around 6k used on EBay. This is a home theater forum so I don't know how much we can help but we would need to know more about the room such as light control and color of walls and ceiling.

#5 ·
Your wall height is extremely limited, and will kill the presentation space. At 58' you should be using a screen which is very large. Over 220" in diagonal for best results. A 20' deep room is typically using a 120" diagonal... so, a room 3 times as deep should be over 300" in diagonal.

But, your ceiling height doesn't support this.

You basically want the largest screen you can possibly fit into the room which has a bottom that is at least 44" from the floor (about top of head height) to the ceiling. 108" less 44" is 64" tall, which means a 131" diagonal 16:9 screen, or more likely a 121" diagonal 16:10 screen.

Which really isn't big enough for that depth of a room. 9' ceilings will feel very low in there, and text will be impossible to read for those in the rear row.

More often, in a room that size (which is close to a theater size in depth) you would have 15' ceiling height to allow for the proper screen. In this case, you may need auxiliary monitors installed towards the back of the room, or something else.

For projectors, you want a high lumen projector, most often LCD to really get the most brightness from it with zero RBE issues for an 'unknown' crowd.

You want about 100 advertised lumen per square foot of screen space, and Panasonic is certainly an excellent choice in this regard, as is the aforementioned Christie displays.

Something like this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Christie-LW555.htm

or this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-EW630U.htm

Would be my first two choices, and I would lean towards the Panasonic as a very capable projector.

#6 ·
So for people standing 20-30' from the screen, I need 100 Lumen per sq foot. Is there a particular reason for this? $7K for a projector is out of our budget. Can you recommend a low-medium-high end choices? As well as low-medium-high budget screen choices youd pick with those projectors?

(Sorry to make you do research work)

#7 ·
I'm not going to do research. You have a commercial space that costs thousands of dollars a month, and just isn't designed for the use you intend to use it for. $7,000 isn't a 'super high end' budget, it's actually pretty mid-level budget. $20,000+ is high end, and $50,000+ is often spent to properly outfit a space of this size which needs adequate projection. If there are windows, you could throw in $10,000-$20,000+ of motorized blackout shades, and often a good control system with multiple sources with HDBT video distribution to ensure that all connections work well in a seamless setup.

If you have a sub $7,000 budget, then you just really want the brightest thing you can find, but the lack of lens shift in any projector will hurt image quality and your placement options will be greatly impacted.

100 lumens per square foot is the advertised minimum which is required to create a 12:1 contrast ratio on screen in a typical boardroom/fluorescent lighting situation regardless of screen size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.