Benq w1080st picture washes out starting around a 50 inch screen. What projector wont - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Benq w1080st picture washes out starting around a 50 inch screen. What projector wont

I have a w1080st. The picture is great up intill I expand it to around 40-60 inch+. it looks like a CRT (almost?). When I expand it it gets white washed out. Is this due to the low resolution, or the brightness (which I tried to max and just washed stuff out more), or is this just projectors in general? Or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
What kind of light control do you have in your room, including the color of the walls, ceiling and floor. If they are all white then the reflected light from your screen will wash out the image. Movie theaters are painted dark for a reason, when was the last time your were in a theater that was painted white?

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by horror66 View Post
I have a w1080st. The picture is great up intill I expand it to around 40-60 inch+. it looks like a CRT (almost?). When I expand it it gets white washed out. Is this due to the low resolution, or the brightness (which I tried to max and just washed stuff out more), or is this just projectors in general? Or?
What kind of room are you in? Need more info.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have no issues with my 1080st projecting onto a DYI spandex 130" screen even with moderate light in the room. I would say you have an issue in your set up or room.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 133
If you can see your darkest blacks turning brighter as you increase brightness, that means you're turning it up a little too high and yes that will wash-out colors. Make sure lamp-mode is set to smart-eco or full (not eco). Make sure as little room-light/sun-light as possible is hitting your screen/wall because that will REALLY wash-out colors.

The w1080 is normally a very bright and colorful projector compared to most others, so like others have said, it's most likely the amount of light in your room. You don't HAVE to paint the room dark, but you'll definitely have to keep light off your screen/wall; and having lights on inside a white room can make that trickier unless you dim those lights and point them away from the screen.

I'd expect to have brightness around 51-55 and maybe turn gamma (in advanced menu) brighter instead of increasing "brightness"control. Usually gamma will be around 2.2-2.4 and turning it to 2.0-1.9 will brighten dark scenes a lot.

IF you are watching colorful animated films, leave brightness around 51-55 and gamma around 2.2. Usually the movie itself is bright enough to fight a decent amount of light and leaving brightness and gamma near 53 and 2.2 leaves colors looking their MOST vibrant and colorful for animated films.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-23-2014 at 11:59 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Umm its a white walled room with no light. Also Im used to 1440p and now 4k and havent run a low resolution like 1080p in close to a decade maybe (cept on my phone). I think theaters look like trash too and they hurt my eyes like a smaller 480 tv does. Let me reiterate. The picture looks CRT perfect up untill about 40 inches. Im not sure how changing color settings to negatively effect the smaller screen could make a bigger screen look better? But what I did try made the bigger picture look worse everytime. Anyone have experience with higher res projectors and if so is this my issue?

Last edited by horror66; 07-26-2014 at 01:41 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1-Umm its a white walled room with no light.

2-Also Im used to 1440p and now 4k and havent run a low resolution like 1080p in close to a decade maybe (cept on my phone).

3-I think theaters look like trash too and they hurt my eyes like a smaller 480 tv does.

4-Let me reiterate. The picture looks CRT perfect up untill about 40 inches.

5-Im not sure how changing color settings to negatively effect the smaller screen could make a bigger screen look better? But what I did try made the bigger picture look worse everytime.

6- Anyone have experience with higher res projectors and if so is this my issue?
1-That's a pretty good way to go, shouldn't be much problem with the room then.

2-You've been watching low resolution footage (and gaming..possibly upscaled, but possibly not) on a 1440-4K monitor. The resolution has no effect on color, contrast or lack thereof (wash-out is generally a term used for a bad lack of contrast and color from having lights in a room wash-out the image..or a similarly weak looking image for other reasons). Resolution should not be at all related to the problem of wash-out.

3-Could you describe why or in what way the theater (likely the only actual source of real 4K content..if at all) looks bad? Too dim, fuzzy, plain, tinted, big, small, or anything particular?

4-CRT perfection (and it's faults) are pretty unique; could you describe this in a different way..or make specific comparisons to certain CRT aspects?

5-Usually improved settings will look better for large and small sizes alike, so I'm guessing you're looking for a different type of change in colors..if not a change in something else perhaps.

6-There is only one largely available consumer projector offering higher than 1080 resolution (a 4K native Sony) and I as well as others have some experience with it. I really don't think native resolution is the problem, however.

I think you might be getting too used to a blindingly bright 300ftL image and then finding that a dimmer/larger image looks weak by compare. If this is the issue, and you're using a nice dark room, I'd suggest trying the projector at a much bigger size on a white wall..focus it in so it looks sharp..then close your eyes and count to twenty. If the projector is the only light in the room, and you give your eyes time to adjust for darkness, the bigger image should still have plenty of "pop" and high-res clarity as long as source material is good quality.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-26-2014 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

2. I dont watch movies really. And yes upscaled news or videos are garbage. Usually use computers for working, reading/learning, and gaming. I was using high resolution pictures to judge the projector first. Games often are only upscaled if im using a emulator. Actually surprised most games support 1440p. Surprised how many support 4k too; but im seeing limits on older/cheaper games here and there. (including emulators not wanting to do 4k) 3. Theaters look dim and fuzzy and grainy. The dimmness could be what im referring to as "washed out". I have been taken to many theaters the past 5 years and all the different quality I see the same thing and think "my monitor at home looks better". 4. By CRT perfect I mean the colors look very accurate and not blurred. I have never been able to look at 99% of lcds and plasmas without thinking how bad they look. IPS and led maybe close, but even then. I was thinking the grainyness could be from the size to resolution ratio highlighting pixels edges. I guess I could replace "washed out" with "not nearly as bright and eye popping". Im more like a 60% phile than a pro so forgive me if im using terms wrong. But it does seem like the color gets washed away as brightness decreases and as i turn down brightness on my current monitor im using it seems to smear the colors even more as well.

Last edited by horror66; 07-27-2014 at 08:30 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

The grainy look in theater would either be built into the movie (director thought it looked cool) or a bad filmreel if the theater is one of the few that hasn't gone digital in the last couple years.
As long as the grain isn't built in, keeping the sharpness control low should keep that grainy look away.

I've been noticing at theater some movies look much fuzzier than others and I'm not sure if the cause is individual rooms having different focus or if it's built-in softness with the movie itself.
I do believe the w1070 should look pretty crisp as long as you aren't sitting much closer than 1.2X your screen-width.

You might never be happy with a projector overall because they don't come much brighter than the w1070 without sacrificing colors or contrast. Many flatscreens are putting out about 8X or more lumens-per-area than tuned projection setups. You having similar complaints about theaters kinda cements the theory.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The grainy look in theater would either be built into the movie (director thought it looked cool) or a bad filmreel if the theater is one of the few that hasn't gone digital in the last couple years.
As long as the grain isn't built in, keeping the sharpness control low should keep that grainy look away.

I've been noticing at theater some movies look much fuzzier than others and I'm not sure if the cause is individual rooms having different focus or if it's built-in softness with the movie itself.
I do believe the w1070 should look pretty crisp as long as you aren't sitting much closer than 1.2X your screen-width.

You might never be happy with a projector overall because they don't come much brighter than the w1070 without sacrificing colors or contrast. Many flatscreens are putting out about 8X or more lumens-per-area than tuned projection setups. You having similar complaints about theaters kinda cements the theory.
I was hoping to just turn my wall into a monitor to save some space and tidy up. Looks like wall mount tv may be my only option. Thanks.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
I was hoping to just turn my wall into a monitor to save some space and tidy up. Looks like wall mount tv may be my only option. Thanks.
Yep, that would work perfectly for your intended purpose

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by airscapes; 07-28-2014 at 05:16 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you think that 99% of plasmas look bad, I'm guessing that you really like LED screens cranked up to maximum brightness and contrast, i.e. store demo mode. This also fits with your preference to watch games over movies. If that's the case, you will likely find all front projection systems too dim and washed out for your personal tastes.
StinDaWg likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page