Epson 8350 - no display only from receiver - help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Epson 8350 - no display only from receiver - help!

I have a very odd problem with my projector. Just as background I have checked all HDMI cables, outlets, etc for all sources and all are functioning correctly.

Last week we had a lightning storm. Since this storm my projector will not display an image ONLY from my Onkyo TX-SR608. I had the receiver checked out by a official Onkyo repair shop and they called back and said it was working fine.

So tonight I ran some test to isolate the problem.

1) If I connect any source directly to the projector it displays an image. So the projector seems to be working fine. I played connect golf for 30min to test with no issues.

2) If from my receiver I connect HDMI-out to an LED tv I used as a test monitor, all HDMI-in sources display on the LED absolutely fine. This indicates as the repair shop stated that the receiver is functioning properly.

3) However - the problem - if I connect the HDMI-out from the receiver to the projector the projector will not display a picture and states "No Signal" on the screen.

Additional details - Previously when I turned on a source, I would get sound from the cable box, for example, and once the projector warmed up I would get a momentary drop out of sound while the projector grabbed the source signal and then picture would pop up and sound would return.
Now, this same thing happens, sounds comes on from the receiver/cable box, but when it momentarily drops the sound like before to grab the image signal, neither the picture comes up or sound returns.

I'm totally stumped as individually the projector is working from any source, and everything works through the receiver when attached to the test LED. But no image is displayed on the projector when a source is running through the receiver.

All help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2014, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It sounds like an HDMI Handshake failure. The projector is not accepting the bad HDCP authentication key from your receiver, or the projector is sending a bad authentication key to your receiver. The authentication key between the devices is checked and re-authenticated every few minutes. The lightning storm may have interrupted that process. Now the devices won't accept each others keys. Powering down both devices (shutting them off completely, including disconnecting power) and turning them back on usually resets the keys. If that doesn't work, you may have a problem with the length of your cable becoming unstable and creating a poor connection. That's as much as I know. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
You don't mention the length of HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector but as previously advised I would try a shorter (like a 6 foot) length to test. I'm guessing that's where your problem lies.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

The run from the projector to the equipment closet is about 20ft. My cousin who is a professional commercial installer for hospitals and places like Emory University ran the cable for me when we finished the basement. It's the same type cable they use on long run projects and is a very thick shielded cable compared to the average HDMI you see.

My reason for not thinking it has anything to do with that cable is when I say I'm plugging a source straight into the projector, I am plugging it in straight into the HDMI wall outlet in the equipment closet. So any working video source is having to make that run over that cable and is working fine. If there was a handshake concern due to the cable, then my xbox, cable box, and BR player should be experiencing the same issue when plugged directly into the HDMI wall outlet.

I unplugged both for about 30min today, plugged everything back in and still have the same problem. One thing I did notice was that I still have sound on the xbox even after a handshake should be made, but not with the cable box.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

A 20 foot run of HDMI cable is not that long, but it might still be a problem with your cable. How thick an HDMI cable is won't prevent it from failing with a particular component. It might work perfectly fine with lots of other components. HDMI cables and components can become quite finicky when it comes down to the handshake. Pinning down exactly where the problem lies can take lots of trail and error. I agree with Mr.G's suggestion to try another HDMI cable from your receiver to your projector. Your cable might be fine, but until you eliminate all doubts, you'll never solve your problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2014, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I followed your recommendation. I pulled the receiver out of our equipment closet and just set it on a table under the projector and ran about a 6ft HDMI up to the receiver and plugged in an Apple TV to the receiver. No picture from any HDMI in. Then I plugged the Apple TV direction into the projector using the same 6ft HDMI cable and I got a picture.

As a further check, I pulled a Yamaha receiver out of my upstairs equipment closet (what a pita lol) and brought it down and tried connecting it the same way as the Onkyo. And whataya know, we have picture.

Being that the Onkyo will push a picture through HDMI pass through on the LED, but not on my DLP or the projector, I'm still a bit confused. But for whatever reason, I'm leaning a bit toward the notion that this is, as you both suggested, an HDCP hand shake issue just with projection sets.

I will call the repair center back but I suppose they will just recommend replacing the HDMI board in the Onkyo at around $350. I can send the receiver back to Onkyo for exchange on a refurbished Onkyo TX-NR626 which is the new model of the 608 that I have for $270. This may be my best and cheapest course of action.

Any other thoughts or tests? Thanks!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
Okay, so I followed your recommendation. I pulled the receiver out of our equipment closet and just set it on a table under the projector and ran about a 6ft HDMI up to the receiver and plugged in an Apple TV to the receiver. No picture from any HDMI in. Then I plugged the Apple TV direction into the projector using the same 6ft HDMI cable and I got a picture.

As a further check, I pulled a Yamaha receiver out of my upstairs equipment closet (what a pita lol) and brought it down and tried connecting it the same way as the Onkyo. And whataya know, we have picture.

Being that the Onkyo will push a picture through HDMI pass through on the LED, but not on my DLP or the projector, I'm still a bit confused. But for whatever reason, I'm leaning a bit toward the notion that this is, as you both suggested, an HDCP hand shake issue just with projection sets.

I will call the repair center back but I suppose they will just recommend replacing the HDMI board in the Onkyo at around $350. I can send the receiver back to Onkyo for exchange on a refurbished Onkyo TX-NR626 which is the new model of the 608 that I have for $270. This may be my best and cheapest course of action.

Any other thoughts or tests? Thanks!
Looks like you've done everything reasonable to pin down the problem to your receiver. This is no surprise to me, as I had an Onkyo tx-sr605 that gave me so many HDMI issues that i just used an hdmi switcher to my tv, and connected optical and coaxial cables to the receiver for audio. This setup was complicated, but that's how I lived for a couple of years. (Onkyo's warranty service was never able to come to a satisfactory solution to the problem) If you start looking through the avs and other forums, you'll find that Onkyo receivers have had HDMI issues for years. I'm now using a Sony STR-DN840 for the last six months that has worked flawlessly. (knock on wood)
If you can get an exchange from Onkyo, I say, stop beating yourself over the head with your current receiver and change it out. Good luck to you, my friend. Hope it all works out.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page