BenQ W1070/W1080ST owners: cooling issue ? Strange answer from BenQ Support ! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation BenQ W1070/W1080ST owners: cooling issue ? Strange answer from BenQ Support !

Hi folks !

I would like your opinion about the issue I encountered with my brand new BenQ W1080ST projector.
  • When I turn off the projector with the remote control, the lamp is switched off and the fan cools the device for 90 sec (no problem).
  • When I turn off my devices via HDMI-CEC (projector included, as it is compatible), the lamp AND the cooling fan are immediately shut off, preventing the lamp from cooling !

BenQ support answers that this behavior is related to HDMI-CEC, which relies on third-party implementation, for which BenQ is not responsible.

Don't you think this is strange ? Is it common that projectors do not cool with HDMI-CEC control ?

Regards,
redvivi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 510
That's a load of garbage. By 3rd party control, what BenQ means is that they have no idea how their projectors are designed or work in the world of HDMI. They are purchasing HDMI chips from another manufacturer, which is typical, but then their interface to those chips is half-arsed and isn't properly tested through a CEC engine to ensure proper operation.

This is, in large part, due to the extremely poor and limited implementation of HDMI CEC, and the main reason why most consumers should get a good universal remote and never use HDMI CEC to do anything.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
That's a load of garbage. By 3rd party control, what BenQ means is that they have no idea how their projectors are designed or work in the world of HDMI. They are purchasing HDMI chips from another manufacturer, which is typical, but then their interface to those chips is half-arsed and isn't properly tested through a CEC engine to ensure proper operation.
Thanks for your answer.

However, I think the manufacturer have to ensure that the device does not damage itself on normal operation (=shutdown without any cooling). I am very surprised that a feature, included in the manual, is able to damage the device.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvivi View Post
...the manufacturer have to ensure that the device does not damage itself on normal operation...
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

BenQ bought their HDMI and the HDMI CEC engine from a 3rd party, but then didn't properly test it to ensure it worked, and sold it to you anyway.

You can complain about it, but at this point, the only way to protect your projector is to ensure you have the CEC engine turned OFF, and use the remote control or RS232 to power on/off the projector.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think the projector has already been damaged if it has been shutdown this way 2 times ?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvivi View Post
Do you think the projector has already been damaged if it has been shutdown this way 2 times ?
No, projectors can actually handle this pretty well, and should not be damaged at all. The cooling process helps, but projectors can survive power outages and being unplugged from time to time, so you are fine. I'm quite sure of this.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page