Totally subjective and rediculous request - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Totally subjective and rediculous request

For electronics and computer equipment, I try to go with a "is it twice as good?" rule before purchasing (especially when it comes to expensive items). To give a simplistic example...I bought a 5400 RPM 500GB HD 10 years ago and waited until I could buy a HD I perceived as twice as good for about the same price (1TB, 10,000 RPM WD VelociRaptor).

Of course "twice as good" is obviously very much more subjective and less quantifiable when it comes to projectors. One obviously cannot just go by resolution numbers or even brightness or contrast specs. The intended use plays a huge role for projectors (or screens for that matter).

My current projector is the Panasonic AX200U. I believe I paid around 2000.00 several years ago (could it be 6-7 years ago?). It still looks like new and I've even got one or two spare bulbs. The environment is a family room with some ambient light (though we mostly watch films at night), the projector is 14' from a 120" matte white screen (also subject to change), and it is used primarily for watching streamed Amazon films and bluray. What I really crave is blacker blacks which would give the image more punch. I've tried all kinds of calibrations, but while this is a very bright projector I have trouble with washed out blacks.

So...an obviously subjective question...is there a projector any of you would say is "twice as good" for anywhere close to that price? I guess this question will be much easier to answer in a couple more years when 4K projectors are more ubiquitous.

Last edited by rpmfla; Yesterday at 01:43 PM. Reason: More detailed query.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well 2,000 now will get you 1080p.

IMO just about any 2000 dollar projector is 2x better in picture quality WITHOUT accounting for the upgrade to 1080p.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The Sony 40ES may be tough to judge specifically as being twice as good. You do get twice the resolution, and you will get better blacks, great gaming speed, etc. for the money. But, if you have a really good image up now, then waiting for 4K would probably be my recommendation. The Sony 600ES is the best looking projector I have seen... ever. Get something close to that under $3,000 and that's where my money will go. But, the AX200 really is good looking. If you are fighting to get brightness AND contrast, something has to give, and it's always the black level.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think a better screen would be the smart investment at this point.

I've liked the JVC projectors for some time now as they manage to achieve great contrast without "artificial" means...no dynamic iris. To bad the RS46U seems to be disappearing.

Last edited by rpmfla; Yesterday at 06:28 PM. Reason: expounding
post #5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Well 2,000 now will get you 1080p.

IMO just about any 2000 dollar projector is 2x better in picture quality WITHOUT accounting for the upgrade to 1080p.
I'm not sure what you mean...are you saying the AX200U is so old that projectors have improved to such an extent ANY new ~2K$ projector is nearly twice as good as that?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page