Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
DIY cheap way to build 10,000 lumens, good idea?

This is a very cool idea. Even if you don't need things to be that bright, I cant see why it cant work for any other projector if you need more power. would I be wrong to think this is a pretty good idea?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
People with money have been stacking projectors for years.. nothing new

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
This is a very cool idea. Even if you don't need things to be that bright, I cant see why it cant work for any other projector if you need more power. would I be wrong to think this is a pretty good idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x8pTTmO-U
Multi projector setups are nothing new. Companies do this all the time at trade shows. An excellent DIY video. Would like to do it myself.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 302
For home theater use it rarely makes sense and is often a bad decision.

The problem with stacked projectors is that they really need constant maintenance. CONSTANT!

So, if you are a DiY type of person, and need the lumens (why?) then you can certainly set it up yourself, and then go through the constant maintenance that's required for this type of setup. The person in the video is technically competent and sets these up for specific functions temporarily, not full time.

Issues not addressed:
1. Color uniformity. A huge issue from projector to projector is that lamps aren't matched, so they both look slightly different from each other. It's impossible to get 'perfect' color from two projectors with non-matched lamps, and perhaps non-matched colors internally, but it's the lamps which are the real guessing point.

2. You raise the black level ground floor. Expect to take a hit on black levels.

3. The use of corner keystone correction is not in every projector, and will lower overall sharpness and lumen count by a bit.

4. Projectors tend to exhibit a bit of color drift from week to week. In a single projector setup, it's not an issue, but with two projectors, alignment will need to be done weekly for best results.

I like the idea, and it's certainly nothing new, but commercial companies typically avoid installing this because of the time involved in required regular maintenance. There's a cost factor which doesn't typically pay out if the projectors are used day in and day out.
ben38 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Doesn't really work for home theater unless you have crts with adjustable images and near perfect black levels.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page