Projector for outside - portable - night time movie night - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Projector for outside - portable - night time movie night

Did a bit of searching so forgive me if I missed my answer...

I'm looking for a projector to set-up in the back yard for after dark movie viewing. I've got an old receiver, speakers, and blu-ray that I can use for it.

What model would you recommend?

Is 3d worth it? I'm thinking of good size group so glasses would need to be on the less expensive range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optoma HD25-LV with is 3200 lumen should be perfect.. and you can go up to 300 inches diagonal. 868$ new Lot of people use this projector for campground cinema night! Good review also on projector central. I just bought one.. im really impressed with the quality of the picture! Really bright, vivid color! Unfortunately, i have an issu with the 3d but im sure its my PC that is missing something, not the projector.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 511
There are any number of options for you. The Optoma models, are nice, the BenQ W1070 continues to get better reviews as it has better color, and higher color brightness than Optoma can deliver. You aren't actually going to get 3,200 lumens out of the Optoma, so that's a poor metric to use.

But, it is all budget dependent really.

You can get a 1280x800 projector for under $500 which will still look very nice and produce a large 180"+ sized image with no problem at all.

Many projectors are now 3D capable. DLP projectors often use a technology called DLP Link and have 3D glasses which are available for under $20/pr.

So, it depends on your image size and your budget really. But, you can get 1080p projectors for a bit over $700 and you can get lower resolution, but solid quality for under $500.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page