How SMALL an image can be projected? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How SMALL an image can be projected?

Hi everyone. Maybe someone here can give me advice as 4 hours of Google searching has been no help. Also, I'm a complete novice to digital projection, so maybe this is a ridiculous question.

Here's what's going on. I'm working on an AV project for a rock band. We want to have a stage backdrop that incorporates rear projection, both digital video and still 35mm slide projectors. We want to have several holes in the backdrop with rear projection material covering them and of course, the projectors behind. I need to know how close I can get a projector to this backdrop, since we will be working with extremely limited space back there. Maybe as little as 1-2 feet. It would seem that the projectors wouldn't have to be super bright to achieve that, especially if I build some sort of light baffles from the projectors to the rear of backdrop.

Is this possible? I only need the images to be maybe 24" diagonal, as the set is supposed to resemble the interior of a spacecraft and the projections are going to be representations of monitor screens. If I just put a projector very close to the screen, can I make images that small? I understand heat is an issue as well, but these would only be running intermittently for a few seconds at a time.

Secondly, if this IS possible, what would be the least expensive projector that would work? I don't need super high definition. This is more of an atmospheric effect. Of course, I'd like my images to be as clear as possible, but cost is certainly a big factor in this as well, and I'm willing to compromise some image quality to save money.

I don't know. This is all preliminary, and I don't even know if it's possible. Like I said, if I sound like a total amateur, it's because I am in fact a total amateur. Any help you fine folks could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Most projectors can make a 24" diagonal from about 2-3ft away..and short-throw projectors can make 24" at about 1.5ft.

You should be able to use standard-definition for that size which means you can pick up a very bright projector for around $300 or a significantly dimmer LED model for around $400.
The LED model might be a better option if you need something particularly tough that might get knocked around..otherwise something like the Optoma s303 is bright and cheap.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If you are only looking to fill 24" you may be better off buying a couple flat panel displays
post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks guys. Everything is still in the planning phase. I have definitely considered going with flat panels. The only reason I've been thinking about projectors is so that when they're not being used, they could kind of fade away in color washes and other effects. But you've both given me good stuff to think about. Thanks again for your time.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page