AVS Forum banner

Are Epson 725HD panels organic or inorganic?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dreamer 
#1 ·
Hi all :)

Title pretty much says it all. I've searched everywhere I can think of and I can't find a definitive answer whether the 725HD uses organic or inorganic LCD panels.

I'm considering replacing my aging HD65 with one when the current bulb goes as it is starting to act strangely.

A couple of weeks ago it stopped being able to lock onto an HD signal through the component cable I was using for no apparent reason. I bought a replacement cable and it does the same thing. Can't do it when I hook up the component cable into the VGA port using a component-vga adapter either. However, when I switch the XBox to SD it locks on just fine.

HDMI input sees HD without issue so the projector is still useful. It is six years old or so and has had quite a lot of use as it is our main TV.

#2 ·
Your provider might've messed with the signal (anti-piracy measures) which is somewhat common and often results in compatibility issues.
Sorry, I don't have an answer for the actual question.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response :)

I don't think it has anything to do with my provider as it wasn't working whether I used the Xbox or my PVR in 720HD. I think, given that the rectangles that used to show what source the pj was on and what it was doing (searching, etc...) have stopped showing up it is telling me it is almost done.

Hoping it limps along for one more year but wife has said I can replace it when either it or the bulb goes.

Picture is still as good as always when using the HDMI cable.

#4 · (Edited)
Ah, sad to see it going then. :'(
Mind if I ask, why the 725hd? I believe there's a very similar model for about the same price (750hd maybe?) That provides better contrast which isn't hard since if the 725 is the one I'm thinking, it has been measured at 200:1 contrast despite what Epson claims (I may be thinking of the 720hd and the 725hd is the better one).
It's certainly a bright projector, but not even solid brightness can beat too much light while reasonable light can be used around slightly dimmer but much better looking projectors.

I'm not knocking it if it's your choice for a reason, just letting you know there are at least two options that cost the same or less offering full 1080native, about 5X better contrast and better out-of-the-box colors. If you really want LCD and don't need 3D, the Epson 8345/8350 is the best you'll find under $2000. Likewise, if you can fit it within your placement needs and aren't super sensitive to RBE, the w1070 looks as good or better than anything under $2000.

The 725hd is brighter, but still not bright enough to fight a ton of light and its contrast is poor enough that it fights you along-side the ambient light instead of helping against it.
Once again, I'm not knocking it if it's your choice because it fits a specific niche that you need it to, BUT if it was simply a store-clerk's suggestion..I'd ignore it and go with something better that costs less.

Edit: sorry about writing such long unrelated responses when you came here for one, simple, specific question. On a more related note, I believe it is the polarizer (most often blue) that gets toasted in LCD units and I don't think the organic/inorganic panel often outlasts the polarizer..unless I'm being dumb and the polarizer/panel is one unit.

#6 ·
Ah, sad to see it going then. :'(
Mind if I ask, why the 725hd? I believe there's a very similar model for about the same price (750hd maybe?) That provides better contrast which isn't hard since if the 725 is the one I'm thinking, it has been measured at 200:1 contrast despite what Epson claims (I may be thinking of the 720hd and the 725hd is the better one).
The Epson 750HD has, according to PCMAG, (the only site that has reviewed both Epson 750HD and Epson 730HD) the same image quality to the Epson 730HD (the same projector as the 725HD model excepting light output).

I'm not knocking it if it's your choice for a reason, just letting you know there are at least two options that cost the same or less offering full 1080native, about 5X better contrast and better out-of-the-box colors. If you really want LCD and don't need 3D, the Epson 8345/8350 is the best you'll find under $2000. Likewise, if you can fit it within your placement needs and aren't super sensitive to RBE, the w1070 looks as good or better than anything under $2000.
Some times budget doesn´t give you room for something better, as simple as it is, I´d love a Benq W1070 but here in México it´s overly expensive for me, and I have to deal with what I can afford, wich isn´t much (but if I had the money I´d deffinitely get something a lot better) so, maybe it´s the same case for Kurt (or maybe not).

But it´s nice to give options if its possible to get something better ;)

And about Kurt´s question, the closest information about that is what the specs say:

Poly-silicon TFT Active Matrix

Wich could (or not) be organic or inorganic, sorry. :confused:

#5 ·
Title pretty much says it all. I've searched everywhere I can think of and I can't find a definitive answer whether the 725HD uses organic or inorganic LCD panels.
I'm fairly certain Epson stopped using organic LCD panels in their home theater projectors a few years ago.

To be sure call Epson support, they're always available to help.

Epson support.

#7 · (Edited)
I wouldn't put much stock in phone support answers about technical questions. There's typically one person (higher up and never available) who actually knows their stuff and then there's the rest who will blindly give a completely wrong answer for who knows what reason. I have no idea where projector phone techs get their information, but having one read you things from the service manual while realizing everything they've told you was wrong (service manual is a good info source) is a hilarious and frightening experience. The confidence they have while spouting totally off the wall answers is the scary part.

Totally understandable if it's a region pricing issue, some places get a really painful pricing bracket for projectors. On the upside, many places where projection costs twice as much seem to have the w1070 for roughly the normal US price..sadly Mexico is not such a place. :(

#8 ·
I was going with the 725hd because I can get it at Costco for $550 and was thinking of trying it out. Can take it back if I don't like it :)

It seems to have pretty good reviews from the various places I have read. I also don't have any 1080p sources as of yet so no need for one of those even though they do sound awesome.

I'm not, nor have I yet met anyone who is, sensitive to RBE so it isn't about that. I was just thinking that since I have a dedicated media room with no ambient light issues I might try out an LCD and see how great the picture quality is compared to what I have been used to.

I think I'm going to go with the assumption that they no longer use organic panels.

#9 · (Edited)
Does Costco have an online store setup similar to Walmart and BestBuy with free store shipping and returns? If so, that will probably offer an extended selection of projector choices. Simple return policies are great so that makes sense like you've said.

Check out the 725 and see if it's nice, if it isn't quite what you're looking for there's a cheaper($499) Acer5380 or Optoma181xe, a future-proof(1080p) 131xe for $100/150 more, and a fantastic plus future-proof w1070 for $200 more than the 725hd all worth seeing if a store near you has or has available online.

If you've got a bestbuy nearby, check their online selection too, they have hassle-free 15day returns on projectors. Go to a store and order and they'll even match most Amazon prices..if you don't like an online order, simply return it to the physical store..walmart is the same way but 30day returns and no price matching.

#10 ·
Costco has only 7 options for home theater setups (not counting one projector that comes in black or white).

However, the ones they do have are decent. No Benq 1070 unfortunately but they do have the Optoma HD131x for 1080p ($800 ca), the 180x ($540 ca) which I will likely get if the Epson doesn't do it for me, the HD25lv if I decide to blow the budget :) ($800 ca), and the GT760 if I decide to go short throw (which I might given I have a Kinect, $650 ca). Other than those they have the Viewsonic Pro8400 as their most expensive option at $1550 ca (haven't researched it since it is three times what I want to spend right now). And, finally, if I do like the LCD more than DLP and want to go 1080p they have the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2000 for $800 ca.

What Costco does have is an amazing return policy which I chose not to take advantage of because my projector had somehow had the model number label worn off on the bottom (even though the thing is mounted an inch from my ceiling upside down so no idea how that happened unless, when I cleaned the colour wheel with electronic cleaning solution, I somehow rubbed it off :( ) and I could not find the stupid box (which pisses me off since I save every gd box I get pretty much). So, since they couldn't be 100% sure it was the product I had purchased, they were concerned Optoma might deny it was their product and I would be on the hook for the $1070 ca.

And, of course, my conscience was bothering me too ;) stupid conscience!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.