ViewSonic PJD7533W - need tips - Setup/Issues/3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ViewSonic PJD7533W - need tips - Setup/Issues/3D

I have been testing a ViewSonic PJD7533W multimedia DLP projector connected to a 3D compatible VSX-921-K Pioneer receiver and have been testing the projector's 3D capabilities using the 3D blu-ray Avengers disc. I understand this projector is not optimized for home theater use but there are some usability issues, particularly in 3D.

In 3D mode, there are very obvious banding(?) problems in very dark and very bright areas of scenes but, worse yet, the effect is completely different for each eye with really makes these areas stand out in stereo 3D. A black jacket, for example, may appear smooth dark gray to the left eye but show some amount of detail like folds to the right eye. This causes problem with the 3D effect that can make your eyes cross. I can adjust the projector's brightness and contrast controls to fix this and bring out the details for both eyes but then later on, someone's forehead or clouds in a sky scene might show this sort of problem. On top of that, dark scenes tend to be extremely murky with an occasional swatch of color popping out like a red cape or blue uniform. There doesn't seem to be one setting of contrast, brightness and saturation that works for every scene. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any tips

Last edited by JackProton; 07-28-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 194
If there's a gamma control, using that to brighten murky scenes can help. Is there a happy balance if you turn brightness up enough to get dark details with both eyes and then lower contrast to keep clouds and face highlights under control at the same time?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If there's a gamma control, using that to brighten murky scenes can help. Is there a happy balance if you turn brightness up enough to get dark details with both eyes and then lower contrast to keep clouds and face highlights under control at the same time?
Thanks! I'll try setting the gamma higher. So far I just can't seem to get a happy balance between dark areas and highlights - it seem like I can only optimize for one or the other.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got a chance to experiment and found that I was able to minimize the artifacts and increase dark details for 3D movies using a gamma setting of 8 (max setting) and carefully balancing the brightness and contrast. It isn't perfect - dark scenes show detail but look washed out and there are still some highlight and shadow artifacts - but it is much less annoying than it was before. It is strange that I don't see any artifacts with highlights or shadows in non-3D movies. I suppose a calibration disc might be handy. Anyways, thanks again for the helpful suggestion.