Best 2D projector under $1000 for gaming - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2014, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Best 2D projector under $1000 for gaming

Hi, I'm completely new to projectors, but I'm using a 42in TV as a PC display and find it too small unless I sit 3-4 feet away from it. I'm looking to buy a 2D projector in $1000 range, 3D is not needed but the image quality, response time for gaming and sharpness for reading text would be much appreciated. I will be using it mainly at night time, so I need it to be as quiet as possible. I'm gonna use it daily (4 or 5 hours), so I would need a durable lens type too. I also would like to use a curved projector screen, which lens type do I need? I heard a special lens type is required to project on curved screens.

Thank you!

----- EDIT ------

After some research I came up with this setup (for now). Should I change it some how, like to move the bed or closet? I still don't know where to put the Xbox One and its Kinect 2, lack of space to play Kinect games such as Just Dance 2014, I suppose. Also if I put the table in the center of the room, that means I will have to put the PC on it, wires would make a mess if they run all over the floor. I use a Z906 5.1 speaker and there are 3x 23" PC monitors on the table.

----- EDIT 2 -----

I think this is gonna be my final setup:

3D model: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/hi5x3NX7dtr

Last edited by Mèo Điên; 07-31-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
The w1070 is a fantastic gamer with great fast-motion handling, super low input lag, and the best color, contrast and brightness you'll find under $1000 (so good that it's often the best you'll find under $2000 actually). It IS however not a very quiet projector, and its fan noise is about the same as a hot gaming PC if you sit close..it is a low-pitch fan noise that is easy to ignore and certainly won't bother others trying to sleep or anything like that.

If you're willing to give up color accuracy, about 40% actual brightness and around 40% calibrated contrast the hd131xe (same exact projector as the hd25e, but in a black case and it costs less) is a tiny bit cheaper, still great for fast-motion and low lag, and a bit quieter. It's the next best thing available under $1000 (often next-best under $1800) and both the 131 and 1070 are practically the cheapest full 1080p projectors available. I believe the cheapest only save about $50-80 and give up quite a lot.

RBE shouldn't be a big deal during gaming, but the w1070 will show a lot less of it if you are the rare type who's really sensitive to it.
The w1070 might also have slightly better focus uniformity for reading text, though both will be legible.
Both the w1070 and hd131xe handle long hours of usage quite well (keep the vents clear so they can breath) and you can expect the lamp to last about 3-4years at 4-5hours/everyday. The hd131xe replacement lamps cost a little less, but spread over 3-4years I don't know if I'd worry about that price difference.

You will likely not find a 1080p projector that doesnt have 3D (except the Epson 8345/8350 which is LCD and a poorer fast-motion performer). Having 3D doesn't seem to add to the price these days, it basically gets thrown in for free so no worries.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-30-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The w1070 is a fantastic gamer with great fast-motion handling, super low input lag, and the best color, contrast and brightness you'll find under $1000 (so good that it's often the best you'll find under $2000 actually). It IS however not a very quiet projector, and its fan noise is about the same as a hot gaming PC if you sit close..it is a low-pitch fan noise that is easy to ignore and certainly won't bother others trying to sleep or anything like that.

If you're willing to give up color accuracy, about 40% actual brightness and around 40% calibrated contrast the hd131xe (same exact projector as the hd25e, but in a black case and it costs less) is a tiny bit cheaper, still great for fast-motion and low lag, and a bit quieter. It's the next best thing available under $1000 (often next-best under $1800) and both the 131 and 1070 are practically the cheapest full 1080p projectors available. I believe the cheapest only save about $50-80 and give up quite a lot.

RBE shouldn't be a big deal during gaming, but the w1070 will show a lot less of it if you are the rare type who's really sensitive to it.
The w1070 might also have slightly better focus uniformity for reading text, though both will be legible.
Both the w1070 and hd131xe handle long hours of usage quite well (keep the vents clear so they can breath) and you can expect the lamp to last about 3-4years at 4-5hours/everyday. The hd131xe replacement lamps cost a little less, but spread over 3-4years I don't know if I'd worry about that price difference.

You will likely not find a 1080p projector that doesnt have 3D (except the Epson 8345/8350 which is LCD and a poorer fast-motion performer). Having 3D doesn't seem to add to the price these days, it basically gets thrown in for free so no worries.
Wow thank you. That's very helpful!

I think I will go for the w1070. I saw a lot of positive feedback on that too.

I have another question, if you wouldn't mind. Can I do 1080p/60hz 3D gaming on w1070? I heard you need to have a DisplayPort or DVI port on the projector for that. My LM7600 TV doesn't have that either, and it cannot do 1080p 60hz Nvidia 3D Vision. I also heard using "Eco" mode can extend its lifetime, make it less noisy and still good for gaming, is that true? Oh and, which things do I need to buy and need to know for projecting it on a curved screen?

Last edited by Mèo Điên; 07-30-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would add, the ACER H6510BD, not the best image quality, but its fast, 3D, and quieter than the Benq W1070, and CHEAP.

But if you are rainbow effect sentivive (and care about it), you´ll see rainbows for sure, just as the Optoma HD131xe
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post
I would add, the ACER H6510BD, not the best image quality, but its fast, 3D, and quieter than the Benq W1070, and CHEAP.

But if you are rainbow effect sentivive (and care about it), you´ll see rainbows for sure, just as the Optoma HD131xe
Thank you! I will take a look at it.

-----

After some research I came up with this setup (for now). Should I change it some how, like to move the bed or closet? I still don't know where to put the Xbox One and its Kinect 2, lack of space to play Kinect games such as Just Dance 2014, I suppose. Also if I put the table in the center of the room, that means I will have to put the PC on it, wires would make a mess if they run all over the floor. I use a Z906 5.1 speaker and there are 3x 23" PC monitors on the table.

Last edited by Mèo Điên; 07-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't remember if the usual limit is 1080@30hz/720@60Hz or if it's 1080@60hz/720@120Hz. The w1070 has hdmi, via, RCA component and composite, and s-video, but no DVI input. I believe DVI has mostly been replaced by hdmi which can support 1080@60, but needs a newer version for 1080@120Hz which may or may not arrive.

Yes your understanding of eco-mode is totally correct. It runs a little dimmer and is often quite a bit quieter. The w1070 does become quieter in eco, but not quite as quiet as many others are in eco.

The acer is the next step down, slightly less accurate colors and slightly less measured contrast and brightness than the hd131xe for a slightly cheaper price. I don't know what its input lag is, but its motion handling will still be great.

I think it's a lot cheaper to use software that adapts your image for a curved screen rather than using an external lens. You'll lose some resolution along the sides, but nothing you'll notice in your peripheral vision. I don't really know where you'd go about getting the software, but there's almost always a free trial version available on that front so that's a nice option when available. The curved screens I've seen uses for gaming weren't really curved but more like three flat borderless screens butted up against eachother at the sides. I think they'd be easy enough to make yourself, but I don't know if they're sold anywhere.
You might even find that the giant screen is enough immersion for now and the curved screen is unnecessary.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-30-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
About the Acer H6510BD´s input lag, it has been measured between 17 ms and 30 ms, good enough, but one guy came out with a 0 (yep ZERO), a little hard to believe.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Sweet! Thanks guys. I think I saw the software to curve before. Yeah, but I will start with the normal screen first. Maybe I will get a shorter table (my current one is 1m tall, 1.5m with monitors, it would obstruct the light and block my view if I lay on bed). I will put the projector 2.2m above floor, and the screen 1.2m above floor, a 16:9 screen. OR maybe I will mount the monitors and PC on my bed!

Last edited by Mèo Điên; 07-30-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

There is a thing called "Projector hush box" right? Which is used to silent the projector I guess. Would it also make the projector hotter? I don't seem to find one to buy. Is it handmade only?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mèo Điên View Post
There is a thing called "Projector hush box" right? Which is used to silent the projector I guess. Would it also make the projector hotter? I don't seem to find one to buy. Is it handmade only?
Hush boxes are custom made and require ventilation. Typically you build a box around the projector with an input of cool air and a output of hot air. You use tubing to vent the air, with fans at the end to ensure adequate airflow through the projector. It takes a lot of planning, and a fair bit of work to do properly, but does exactly as advertised.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Hush boxes are custom made and require ventilation. Typically you build a box around the projector with an input of cool air and a output of hot air. You use tubing to vent the air, with fans at the end to ensure adequate airflow through the projector. It takes a lot of planning, and a fair bit of work to do properly, but does exactly as advertised.
Thank you thank you!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
the benq is a great choice for gaming and movies
luv mine
Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The new W1070+ appears to be less noisy than the current model. According to Benq's website, it's about 3db less which is pretty significant. I don't know when it will be available, but it may be worth it just for the reduced noise.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The w1070+ will likely be minimally quieter and about $200 more than the current w1070 while adding basically nothing else. Also if you wait for it, expect the w1070 to become much harder to find once the + is released. I'm not saying the + isn't worth it, but keep in mind the dangers; the change will be small, the price difference noticeable and the wait might burn the bridge to the previous cheaper option.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I over spent and won't be able to grab the W1070 now, but maybe in October, when will the W1070+ be released? I think I wouldn't get the +, but I'm afraid the W1070 will be hard to get then. I will make a hush box so it won't be so noisy hopefully.

I also have another question, as I plan to put it like in the picture below, I would need to space for playing Xbox One's Kinect, but when I don't play it, I want to move the screen closer to my table, so I can have a bigger screen to play games from my sofa. Would it be possible to remotely shift the lens to match the new distance? I mean I can't climb up to the ceiling to shift the lens all the time.

3D model: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/hi5x3NX7dtr
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Liked: 10
I am surprised no one has yet to tell you to get the Benq 1080st instead of the 1070. I myself am in a similar situation to you and I am currently having my old garage converted into a new cinema room. I had settled on getting a W1070 but then I realised if I use my Xbox One for Kinect games I will be stood in front of the projector and waving arms around will block the image going to the screen. I have now decided to get the 1080st which is exactly the same projector as the 1070 pretty much but has a short throw lens which means I can mount the projector on the ceiling a lot closer to the screen and that means when playing anything on Kinect I will be stood behind the projector so won't ever interfere with the image onscreen.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post
The new W1070+ appears to be less noisy than the current model. According to Benq's website, it's about 3db less which is pretty significant. I don't know when it will be available, but it may be worth it just for the reduced noise.
If he plans to use older gaming systems, the s-video that is missing from the "+" model might come in handy.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I don't plan on using old gaming systems though. I only play Xbox One and PC. I guess I only need HDMI.

I have another question, what screen would I need to project movies and games in 3D? Can I project it on a normal fabric screen, or do I need this special silver screen one (are they super expensive?)? Also, will the W1070+ or any other similar projector include dual DVI, or DisplayPort, so I can project 3D at 60hz? Will the wireless streaming on W1070+ put a high latency on my games?

I also found that it's not possible to move the screen more than 0.5m without moving the projector. So I plan to get a W1080st as it's short throw and stick the projector to the screen (some how always maintain the distance and angle between them), and move them both together whenever I need to move the screen. But I don't know what kind of stuff can I use to hang them together like that. And I want to hang them on the ceiling.

Last edited by Mèo Điên; 08-20-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 AM

There is a 1080st+ version coming as well which will feature similar upgrades to the 1070+. These projectors and screens aren't really made to moved around so you would be probably better off getting a 120" motorised screen if you need to move it out of the way then it can just roll back up into the ceiling when not in use. I say 120" and not 150" because there are a few cheap tab tensioned screens available in 120" size and I have not seen any 150" tab tensioned screens available cheaply yet.

In short if it where me I would get a 120" remote controller motorised screen and the 1080st with a good ceiling mount and leave it at that. The 1080st doesn't have many options to correct your alignment to the screen if it is not all perfect hence why once you get it set up correctly you don't want to be moving it about really otherwise you will have to align everything perfectly again.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
think so,The curved screens I've seen uses for gaming weren't really curved but more like three flat borderless screens butted up against eachother at the sides. I think they'd be easy enough to make yourself,[IMG]http://*******/OSI1pM[/IMG]thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

I just found this, looks pretty sweet, but would the W1080st or W1080st+ be able to mount this close to the screen?

http://www.standsandmounts.com/Elite...ZWBMS-Pro.aspx

I don't think I would buy this, a little pricey for me. But I'm tempted to make one. I don't know if it's possible for a 150in screen though. I think 120 would be too small, maybe.

Btw this is the 3d scene I made with Unity 3D to demonstrate what I want to achieve (runs on webplayer, host is my PC so it's not always on): http://www.mglushed.net/mgc

Update: I checked on their calculator, to get a 150" screen with w1080st, I would need to put the projector at least 2.3m away from the screen, and the w1080st doesn't have lens shifting, that means I cannot mount it higher than the screen, is that true?

Last edited by Mèo Điên; 08-21-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Tags
2d projector , curved , pc display , under 1000