I'm going to be in the market for my first pj in the next 6 months - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm going to be in the market for my first pj in the next 6 months

so I'm hoping to be ready to purchase a projector somewhere between October and January. My price point is in the 2500 - 3000 dollar area. So for the last year I've been pretty set on getting an epson 5030ub. Now with cedia around the corner I'm having second thoughts on what pj I will end up with. I'm only going to have one shot at getting the right projector (at least for quite a while) so I'd like to make the best choice I can. My room will be fully light controlled but not a dedicated "theater" so to speak. We would be split between watching movies and Football and Hockey games. So with these 2 types of viewing habbits I've been really torn on what to do regarding my screen ratio choice. The epson does not offer any type of lense memory so really that would leave me with either manually re zooming any time I change the format of the media we are watching. Or I build my own masking system wich I'm not really opposed to. Now I see projectors like the panasonic 8000 that has lense memory but it's an older projector and little things like the 3d glasses are not RF kind of bother me. So with the new crop of pj's coming out are there other models I should keep an eye on in the 2500 - 3000 dollar range? One that will handle both 16:9 and 2.35 content would be great! If the epson 5040ub adds that then I'd most likely go that route but I'm thinking they will.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Link to my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I'm going to be in the market for my first pj in the next 6 months

Other than the Panny, there aren't all that many projectors in this price range that offer lens memory.

CEDIA is just a month or so away - and you're not ready to buy right now in any case - so let's see what companies like Epson release first.
They (or any other exhibitors at the event) might have something that fits your needs.

Then take it from there

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sound advice thank you. I'm just anxious I suppose I am really looking forward to Cedia to see what's coming down the line! Like you said I'll then have a good idea of what I'm looking at as far as options.

Link to my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Also, at your price range (and the mention of the 5030/5040ub) keep an eye on the Sony hw40es which has been mentioned as a slightly better alternative to the Epson at an often lower price.
But like kreetures said, a lot can happen in 6months between new model releases and older model price drops.

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 5030ub. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page