Any good upgrades for a W1070 user in 2014? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Any good upgrades for a W1070 user in 2014?

I mean for a comparable price.

So far I haven't heard much. I guess BenQ is only going to refresh their DLPs in 2015 with DarkChip 4 derivatives for the consumer market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As of right now the W1070 is still the best projector in its price range, with a few sidesteps but no steps up. CEDIA is coming up soon, but there haven't been any leaks of anything that seem like a worthy upgrade either.

I'd say either pony up for the HW40ES, or wait a few more years. The W1070 is a bit under two years old, which isn't really enough time for a massive step up to happen within the same price range.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I mean for a comparable price.

So far I haven't heard much. I guess BenQ is only going to refresh their DLPs in 2015 with DarkChip 4 derivatives for the consumer market?
not unless you double or triple your budget
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
As of right now the W1070 is still the best projector in its price range, with a few sidesteps but no steps up. CEDIA is coming up soon, but there haven't been any leaks of anything that seem like a worthy upgrade either.
What is considered a sidestep, very new to projectors and doing the research......so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I don't believe, at this time, there are even sidesteps for the same money. The W1070 remains the only RGB/RGB color wheel DLP projector with fast response times, solid 3D performance, and solid overall performance for anywhere near the price. The competing product, post calibration, doesn't measure up to it.

The forthcoming Optoma HD50 may prove to be a true side step or perhaps an improvement, but we don't know the price yet. For heavy usage, the LG PF87U may be pretty good on a smaller screen size as an LED, 1080p, 3D projector.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxqzme2 View Post
What is considered a sidestep, very new to projectors and doing the research......so any help would be appreciated.
The Optoma HD131xe has marginally lower input lag and deeper blacks, in exchange for a slower color wheel, less accurate colors and less brightness when calibrated. The Epson 2030 won't show RBE at all, but the contrast is significantly worse. The LG PF87U won't require bulb replacements and is instant-on, but it puts out significantly fewer lumens and a picture that isn't quite as nice overall.

The real question is what are you hoping to improve by moving to a different projector? Everything in the price range of the W1070 is going to have tradeoffs, it just matters which ones you're willing to accept. A full step up in quality across the board at this price range isn't going to happen for a few more years.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I was wondering the same question.

I love my W1070, but sometimes I just wished it had a little more lens shift range. I have a small room with low ceiling and it's really tough trying to go bigger unless my screen is near the floor.

I know, I know. I just gotta pay more for what I wish, but this W1070 is just so sweet.

If there's ever a W1070 clone with better lens shift, I would gladly pay $200-$300 more for it.