• 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
IRJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need a new projector: ideas please

I have bought and moved into a house with a splendid dedicated home theater room with a ceiling mounted projector. Most of the equipment was old and I have been replacing hardware with a new AVR Sony 1040 and BR player, Cable TV lines etc. And this week the old DLP Projector failed, so I guess it's time. I had been looking at the BenQ 1070 but it has now been pointed out that these are relatively short throw machines and would need many positioning modifications to fit my room. I would prefer not to change ceiling mountings and cable.
My old DLP was an Optoma HD70 (720P 1,000 lumens about 8 years old)

The ceiling mount places the front of the projector approximately 210 inches (maybe a couple inches less) from the screen.
Screen is 17 inches below the ceiling and has a diagonal distance of around 123 inches.

What sort of projectors do I have as options approximately in the $1K range. Hey anything is going to be so much better than the old projector!!! Specifically which can handle just over 17 feet of throw. Why over spend today when perhaps 4K equipment will roll out in 2-4 years???
Specs? Up to 1080P, 3D maybe 2,000 ish lumens etc.

Many thanks. I need to quickly zero in on this quest now that the BQs are out of the selection

Ian

Last edited by IRJ; 08-03-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Tough, isn't it ? I have the same size screen and the same 17' throw distance. It works fine with my JVC RS1 and full light control. But my JVC is shutting down with overheating problems and finding a new projector to replace it with for under $1,000 using the same size screen and throw doesn't seem to exist.

Because you have a dedicated theatre and light control, you could very well buy a used JVC RS1 and wait for 4K.

For a new projector, the closest I've come is the Optoma hd131xe or hd25-lv which can both hit that screen size from 16' 2". I suppose it really depends on where EXACTLY the mount fits on a new projector compared to the old projector as to the exact distance the lens will be from the screen.

Most of these projectors seem to be like the Benq W1070 where the projector is right above the seating distance which just seems like a poor design decision.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Here is a nice way to find projectors which can hit a 123" diagonal from 17.5' throw distance...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

With a price under $1,500 overall.

You can read reviews on different models, but none of them are going to deliver the quality which a dedicated home theater deserves. For that I would be looking for a JVC RS46 (X35) or at the Sony VPL-HW40ES models which are designed for a better theater space like you have.

You mentioned the screen is 17" from the ceiling, but can you move the projector mount up/down as necessary? If this wasn't a 'cheap' theater the first time around, then it likely has a Chief or Peerless mount in it, which means you can buy a 1.5" pipe of any length as necessary.

If you have any RBE issues, then the Panasonic AR100 or Epson 8345 are solid entry level models with a ton of lens shift, and solid image quality... no 3D if you wanted that.

The Viewsonic models are entry level as well, but may provide an adequate balance of decent image for a decent price.

As for why most projectors in this price range are designed for 'directly overhead' projection, the answer is simple: In a room 12' deep, you can't put a projector 17' away from a 120" screen. You only have 12' to work with! So, a model with shorter throw distance is far versatile. The reality is you could remount the projector at 12' from the screen (probably) if you wanted to, but if you room is only 18' deep, then you couldn't mount any projector 20' from your screen. As sales seem to have shown, the W1070 gets a lot of love for being able to shoot the size it does from the distance it can, which works for far more people than it doesn't work for.

Still, you do have options that work from where you want to use the projector from. Just be aware that throw distance isn't the only issue, you also need to consider lens offset. The Epson 8345 and Panasonic AR100 both have a ton of lens shift. No other projector from that list has that feature.

IMO, I wouldn't go cheap on this if I didn't absolutely have to. I would get a decent projector, or if I had a decent projector, I would get it repaired.

For what it's worth, lumen specs are one of the worst ways to measure any meaning of projection quality. Especially with the plethora of 2x color wheel DLP projectors that can't really muster more than 400 or so color lumens after calibration.
Ftoast likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Iam running an epson 8350 shelf mounted 19ft throw from lens to wall with a great pic
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
IRJ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow thanks guys for the terrific input.
While I am fortunate that while I could afford a really good projector, I am concerned about 4K coming sooner than expected and bringing a desire to upgrade within a few years and I hate to throw good money away. I have spent, I hope wisely, in upgrading the audio and other delivery systems and as you can see by my choice of the Sony 1040 AVR and an Oppo BR Player, I demand value for performance rather than throwing money at a solution which brings marginal improvement. Thus I am baulking at a $3K projector in this respect at this time. But all the input gives me a great basis to review all the pros and cons. As I have said the old projector was giving an OK picture I was just expecting to replace it with a good value number like the BenQ for the next couple of years and have been caught out by their limited throw numbers.
Yes I am sure I can move the height of the project or somewhat that's an easy fix, IMHO. I do all the stuff myself, including all the rewiring (what effort that was..long story) fortunately my son was visiting that weekend and gave back in effort and ideas some of the college money I have thrown in his direction... LOL. Last year, early on in this effort I had discussions with a super audio/video company near where I live, but their ideas included putting in a remote I could not tweak w/o their coming in to visit.... I just told them at 80% of the fun is doing it myself and goodbye. That's why AVS is such a great site for me

Ian

Last edited by IRJ; 08-03-2014 at 09:04 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Here is a nice way to find projectors which can hit a 123" diagonal from 17.5' throw distance...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

With a price under $1,500 overall.

You can read reviews on different models, but none of them are going to deliver the quality which a dedicated home theater deserves. For that I would be looking for a JVC RS46 (X35) or at the Sony VPL-HW40ES models which are designed for a better theater space like you have.

You mentioned the screen is 17" from the ceiling, but can you move the projector mount up/down as necessary? If this wasn't a 'cheap' theater the first time around, then it likely has a Chief or Peerless mount in it, which means you can buy a 1.5" pipe of any length as necessary.

If you have any RBE issues, then the Panasonic AR100 or Epson 8345 are solid entry level models with a ton of lens shift, and solid image quality... no 3D if you wanted that.

The Viewsonic models are entry level as well, but may provide an adequate balance of decent image for a decent price.

As for why most projectors in this price range are designed for 'directly overhead' projection, the answer is simple: In a room 12' deep, you can't put a projector 17' away from a 120" screen. You only have 12' to work with! So, a model with shorter throw distance is far versatile. The reality is you could remount the projector at 12' from the screen (probably) if you wanted to, but if you room is only 18' deep, then you couldn't mount any projector 20' from your screen. As sales seem to have shown, the W1070 gets a lot of love for being able to shoot the size it does from the distance it can, which works for far more people than it doesn't work for.

Still, you do have options that work from where you want to use the projector from. Just be aware that throw distance isn't the only issue, you also need to consider lens offset. The Epson 8345 and Panasonic AR100 both have a ton of lens shift. No other projector from that list has that feature.

IMO, I wouldn't go cheap on this if I didn't absolutely have to. I would get a decent projector, or if I had a decent projector, I would get it repaired.

For what it's worth, lumen specs are one of the worst ways to measure any meaning of projection quality. Especially with the plethora of 2x color wheel DLP projectors that can't really muster more than 400 or so color lumens after calibration.
Thanks for the ProjectorCentral search by specs page. I have used the site many times but always from the perspective of checking the calculator for a given projector. As you say, the lumens spec is nonsense, so I always start with a professional revue where they've measured post-calibration lumens and contrast, then check the calculator.

I didn't say I didn't *understand* the design choice, I said it was a *poor* design choice -- from my perspective, at least ;-) Having a projector and its fan noise directly overhead would bother me too much.

I guess I've been spoiled by the throw and zoom ratios, not to mention lens shift, available on my RS1. It gets frustrating to read reviews on projectors, get excited, and then see the throw won't work in my 11 x 18 room with 8' flat ceiling. The Optomas would at least let me hang the projector at five feet behind the seats, but the fixed lens offset puts the image lower than I'd like, even with the projector flush to the ceiling without a mount.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread