Suggestions for <$1k PJ with good lens shift - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Suggestions for <$1k PJ with good lens shift

I currently have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 which is ceiling mounted 12'8" from a 120" screen. The projector is mounted 30" from the ceiling, which is about as much as I can safely go without it being a hazard given a tall rear seating platform... however the top of the screen is around 48" from the ceiling due to a sloped ceiling in the front of the room. I could possibly shift it another 4" higher if needed, but that's still a 14-18" delta from the projector to the screen.

I was looking at the Benq W1070, but it appears as if the lens shift is minimal, where as the Z2000 has an amazing lens shift. I'm really hoping to get a brighter image and try out a DLP projector versus the current LCD that I've been running with. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I currently have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 which is ceiling mounted 12'8" from a 120" screen. The projector is mounted 30" from the ceiling, which is about as much as I can safely go without it being a hazard given a tall rear seating platform... however the top of the screen is around 48" from the ceiling due to a sloped ceiling in the front of the room. I could possibly shift it another 4" higher if needed, but that's still a 14-18" delta from the projector to the screen.

I was looking at the Benq W1070, but it appears as if the lens shift is minimal, where as the Z2000 has an amazing lens shift. I'm really hoping to get a brighter image and try out a DLP projector versus the current LCD that I've been running with. Any suggestions?
No DLP projectors under 1k will give you any real useful lens shift. The Benq w1500 has a fair amount of vertical lens shift for about $1300.
You can get an Epson 8345 for 1k with lots of lens shift. Plus it's much brighter than the Sanyo. The 8345 is basically the original 8350 with better power management and a slightly toned down dynamic mode. The 8350 (and the earlier 8100) had premature bulb failure issues that seem to be fixed with the 8345.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You're not really going to find a DLP projector, especially in this price range, with a meaningful degree of lens shift. Something about the technology just doesn't allow for it compared to 3LCD. The W1070 actually has more than any of its DLP competitors. You're either going to have to find a DLP projector that will work in your current setup without lens shift, adjust your setup to fit a DLP projector, or go with another 3LCD projector for the lens shift.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 178
That is something kind of lacking on the projectorcentral website; they make you dig a bit to get offset information. It would be nice as another search parameter. Would also be nice if the throw distance search caught results near the end of their ranges instead of just at/near center.

Looks like the cheaper easily available DLPs all hover around 10" above screen at 120"diagonal.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-04-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess it's time to break out the laser level and measure it all out and see if I can squeeze it. If nothing else, maybe I can go to a 135" screen. Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The Mits HC7900Dw would fit perfectly as it has a lot of vertical off set plus a lot of lens shift in the wrong direction for most. I have seen some still around for $1.2k they were a steal at $799.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Sanyo , shift

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page