New Apartment, First Home Theater Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Apartment, First Home Theater Questions

First I want to say this site is awesome and I'm extremely jealous of everyones setups. Im currently a college student and this will be my first home theater setup. Im moving into a new apartment next month and want to start buying parts. That being said I'm really trying to do a decent build with budget in mind. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Room Size
Length - 13.8'
Width - 12'
Height - 9'

Projector
Benq w1070

Screen
I want to mount the screen on the ceiling or wall so i can pull down a screen in front of my television. I will have the projector on a shelf mounted above the couch about 11' away. So viewing distance will be about the same. Ive used the calculators and it says 132" diagonal from 11'. Will zoom make the diagonal smaller? because 132" seems too big for the short viewing distance.

AVR
Onkyo HT-S3500
or
Denon DHT-1513BA - Refurbished
or
should i just get the Denon 1513 receiver and find the speakers separately.

Video
Xbox One
If an update doesn't get released this month for 3d Blu ray support i will probably have to look into buying a 3d Bluray player.

Glasses
BenQ 144hz 3d Glasses

Wiring
Redmere HDMI from Monoprice
Speaker Wire?

Not sure what else I might need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I would strongly recommend you staying away from the HTiB idea. My system took years to build up, it wasn't an overnight thing. I think that might be something you should consider. If I were going to recommend what to do on audio at least I would go ahead and try to get yourself a pretty basic AVR (upgrade later) and pick up a pair of Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. If you've got some money left over a BIC F12 would be a nice addition, but I'm not sure the use you're going to get out of a sub living in a apartment. Might not be as fun to start out with a 2.0 or 2.1 sound system, but you'll end up with much higher quality equipment.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 172
From that distance it'll zoom down as small as 110"-115" if you want.

Don't get the Benq 3D glasses, they aren't worth the price. You can get universal 144Hz dlp-link glasses like the fantastic performing Estar glasses or the solid performing $12 G15's.

The w1070 is a great projector for even a plain room..any darkening you can do will help suck you into the picture.

Unless you're planning to set the projector upside-down on the shelf, you're screen will end up about 5inches above the projector and you or your seating will be in the way..this is why they're usually mounted upside-down on the ceiling.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.-(testing phase)

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-06-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - W1070_ by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page