B Stock projectors worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
what is a B Stock projector & is it worth it?

I wanted to ask from those who know, whats the story with b stock? It cant be like a speaker where there is a scratch or the wrong color or something is there? Or a broken piece of plastic or a scratch on the glass? Just trying to understand exaclty what b stock is. Or are they returns that have been checked out be the factory, which would be whats the difference between b stock and refurbished? Also how much savings is there really? And what about warranty's and lamp usage and so on? Are the lamps brand new or used? Thanks again in advance for everyone's help.

Last edited by metalguy; 08-07-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

anyone please? may be someone from avs itself?
post #3 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Depends which manufacturer and what retailer, and how much you will save. Most B-Stocks are worth it, but you have to watch out for convergence issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Depends which manufacturer and what retailer, and how much you will save. Most B-Stocks are worth it, but you have to watch out for convergence issues.
But what denotes a b-stock in the first place?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Every manufacturer has a different level of definition for these things, technically if going by the pure definition (but the pure definition doesn't wholly apply to projectors), then it means a blemish or that it had some issue during the assembly process that was later revised without major repair needed (usually). Some MFR's may classify a B-Stock as an item that was in a mild accident during assembly but still passed QC and was double checked (someone bumped into it, knocked it, etc...).

Some manufacturers may call a lightly used DEMO UNIT a b-stock, but generally if the usage was too heavy it will be classified as a refurb or used.

Some manufacturers may classify a B-Stock as an item that was returned but the box was NEVER opened (hence a shipping refusal or failed shipment).

Others may actually label a unit that was returned to the MFR with low hours as a B-Stock (again depends on the MFR), but from my understanding most of the time they are units that were never in the hands of a regular consumer.

Despite manufacturers having a different level of classification, the retailers themselves may further mucky up the water, so it's difficult to say.
AV_Integrated and metalguy like this.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

Last edited by coderguy; 08-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
An unopened box is typically regarded as new. Since the manufacturer's seal wasn't broken, it's still new in the box and carries a full warranty.

But, as stated, B-Stock doesn't have a 'legal' definition, and could vary, perhaps wildly, from manufacturer to manufacturer, and from purchase point to purchase point. Places like Visual Apex or Projector People, who are etailers, would often tell you what their b-stock or open box product specifically is.

Is it worth it?

From a reliable source it is almost always worth it. You may pick up a open box projector with 5 hours on it. Some people buy projectors just to compare a few of them, and then return them. The seller then has to cut the price and resell it. It's not new, and not refurbished, so it's a 'open box' b-stock unit.

I personally purchased a demo unit Panasonic AE1000 once. Got it for $250 or so, and when I received it I found it had only 16 hours on it. (!!!) The lens shift also wasn't quite working right, so I opened the projector case and popped it back onto its track, and just like that, it was working perfectly. I sold it with my last house with about 1,800 hours on the lamp, and still looking great.

But, if you get a good warranty with it, and some explanation of what b-stock means, then it certainly can be worthwhile. You should always check out the return policy on any major buy before you purchase the item.
kreeturez likes this.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
B Stock projectors worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
But, if you get a good warranty with it, and some explanation of what b-stock means, then it certainly can be worthwhile. You should always check out the return policy on any major buy before you purchase the item.

This. The warranty/return policy on the projector almost matters more than the seller's "definition" of "b-stock". A solid return or repair policy is an absolute must on a product such as a projector.

Projectors have moving parts. They run hot. They're comprised of mechanical components. They're subject to optical requirements such as convergence. It's not quite the same as, say, buying a TV.

The best b-stock deal in the world isn't worth the slip it's printed on if you get home and it won't power on - or it fails a month later. Then we're not saving money, we're rather throwing it away.

If the reseller is reputable and is explicitly willing to provide a few months's support on the product, then it's well worth a shot. If not - then avoid.
metalguy likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 08-07-2014 at 06:55 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It depends on the brand and warranty. AVS store usually sells great B stock units with full warranty. They also check out the units before they are shipped.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think you have to ask yourself, if you are willing to risk it. Each person is different.

I find, in my experience, note, I said, in my experience, if electronics are going to fail, its going to be in the first 90 days. After that, in my experience, if anything is going to fail, its after the warranty is over, and the vast majority of electronic items for me, had 1 year warranties.

Some people will never touch refurbished with a ten foot pole, I am the opposite. I love refurbished, if its done by the OEM. (Manufacturer) It has been my experience, that whatever was wrong with the part, is usually replaced, with a better part. I have had recalls/advisories on electronics, called the maker, and they said to me, this doesn't apply to you sir, the faulty part has actually been replaced in your unit when it was returned to us.

My first Oppo player was a refurb. Some of my more snooty friends laughed, and said they would never buy a refurb, because its a broken item. Guess what, 8 years on, its still going strong. I have many refurbished and B stock items like this. Heck, my entire paradigm speaker system, that I bought B Stock, at about 70% of the original price, was all because the grills kept falling off. Guess what, $10 in magnets and some super-glue solved that problem. (I got lucky on this find, why they didn't fix it was beyond me, might have been end of model line, not sure)

The point is, only you can really decide. Each person, each manufacture, and each seller is different. For example, a B stock item from Sony, sold through AVS, comes with the full original warranty, at half the price. If you had a budget of $1000 for something, you can get something brand spanking new, or, go B Stock, Demo, Refurb, and get something in a higher class that you normally, couldn't afford, or was out of your budget you set. I think there is too much stigmata on refurb and B stock, since the reputable manufactures fix everything to original standards, but, you won't find me complaining, because I have saved a lot of money, and got myself into equipment lines I never could have afforded before.

I have never been burnt by buying refurb or B stock. I think, its all the same, new or B stock, from reputable manufactures. What you have to do, is spend some time researching which ones actually are reputable. Some manufactures don't care if its B stock you bought, or brand new. I had a B stock Breville grind and brew kick the bucket on me, a few months outside of the warranty, which was the same as new, guess what, got a brand new machine to replace it. Was B Stock that I originally bought, but, they didn't care. All they cared about was making sure, me, their customer, stayed their customer. Sending me a new machine, even though the warranty was over. I have told this story a dozen times, why? For me, it illustrates what I said above, its not about if its new, B stock, or refurb, its about the company, and how they stand behind their products, and customers!
metalguy likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
B stock isn't always a repaired item. A B stock receiver I bought years ago, arrived with a sticker on the backside, that clearly stated
it was a three day loaner, for an audio show.
metalguy likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased my 8500UB b-stock 3 years ago for less than $900 if I remember correctly. I had to replace the bulb last year but other than that its working great.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - AE1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page