Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5,5m / 18feet throw distance with ~100" screen

Hello pros

I'm looking for a projector to be used with movies and PS4 on my living room. 3D is not a must. I have a cable ready on the wall and the distance to the screen is about 18feet. The screen size is limited to about 100".

From what I have digged up, eg. Epson EH-TW3200 would be suitable and meet the specs but I'm a bit conserned about the light output wich is 1800 ANSI lumens for this model. Will it create problems for me ? The living room is not fully dark but I would mostly use the projector in the evening time when light is not an issue.

I would be happy to get proposals for other projectors from approx. same price range, since this is currently the only one I have found that would meed the specs.

Or, should I make a compromise and install the projector closer to the screen ? This would make possible using many other projectors from the same price range with perhaps better specs ?

Thanks alot in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_man View Post
Hello pros

I'm looking for a projector to be used with movies and PS4 on my living room. 3D is not a must. I have a cable ready on the wall and the distance to the screen is about 18feet. The screen size is limited to about 100".

From what I have digged up, eg. Epson EH-TW3200 would be suitable and meet the specs but I'm a bit conserned about the light output wich is 1800 ANSI lumens for this model. Will it create problems for me ? The living room is not fully dark but I would mostly use the projector in the evening time when light is not an issue.

I would be happy to get proposals for other projectors from approx. same price range, since this is currently the only one I have found that would meed the specs.

Or, should I make a compromise and install the projector closer to the screen ? This would make possible using many other projectors from the same price range with perhaps better specs ?

Thanks alot in advance for your help!
I've used that same model (8345 in the U.S.) at 16 feet on a 120 inch screen. It's plenty bright. The specs are more honest than the last model. (the 8350) The two projectors are basically the same.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment, good to hear you have a similar setup. This epson is indeed looking good, just wondering if I'm making a too big of a compromise with the mounting because you could get projectors with more lumens with same money if I would mount closer.. What do you think should I go for more lumens and possibly 3d-support ?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your comment, good to hear you have a similar setup. This epson is indeed looking good, just wondering if I'm making a too big of a compromise with the mounting because you could get projectors with more lumens with same money if I would mount closer.. What do you think should I go for more lumens and possibly 3d-support ?
Well, if you're not sensitive to the DLP rainbow effect, and you don't mind giving up lens shift, the benq1070 will give you everything you want for about the same price and maybe a little less.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have been looking at that BenQ but hesitating since it would force me to bring the projector much closer to the screen.. Or am I misinterpreting the specs ?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have been looking at that BenQ but hesitating since it would force me to bring the projector much closer to the screen.. Or am I misinterpreting the specs ?
You're not misinterpreting the specs. For a 100 inch screen, if you want the lens at the center of its zoom range, you'll have to mount the projector 9.5 feet away with the Benqw1070. The Benqw1300 can be mounted 12.5 feet away, but it's more expensive.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

OK guys, I'm going back and forth with the two possible projectors Epson EH-TW 3200 (8350) or BenQ 1070.

The Epson I could mount stright to the wall, but as a negative I see it to be quite an old model (not a bad thing nesesserily), It has quite a big fault rate according to forums with dust problems etc, and the lumen value is not as high as with BenQ. No 3D either wich might be nice for future. On the other hand it is allways applauded to have a really good picture quality and being an "old" model it should be proven technology.

The BenQ I could fit in my living room by using a 3 feet mount wich is a compromise. It allso has lens shift as the Epson so installation should work. It has a bit more lumens (2000 versus 1800) but not as much contrast as the Epson (10 000 against Epsons 25 000). 3D would be a plus for future. It is allso a bit cheaper but not so much that it would bend the decision in any direction really.

Remembering that my living room cannot be made completely dark, what would be your opinion on wich one to go for ??
Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK guys, I'm going back and forth with the two possible projectors Epson EH-TW 3200 (8350) or BenQ 1070.

The Epson I could mount stright to the wall, but as a negative I see it to be quite an old model (not a bad thing nesesserily), It has quite a big fault rate according to forums with dust problems etc, and the lumen value is not as high as with BenQ. No 3D either wich might be nice for future. On the other hand it is allways applauded to have a really good picture quality and being an "old" model it should be proven technology.

The BenQ I could fit in my living room by using a 3 feet mount wich is a compromise. It allso has lens shift as the Epson so installation should work. It has a bit more lumens (2000 versus 1800) but not as much contrast as the Epson (10 000 against Epsons 25 000). 3D would be a plus for future. It is allso a bit cheaper but not so much that it would bend the decision in any direction really.

Remembering that my living room cannot be made completely dark, what would be your opinion on wich one to go for ??
If you can make the benqw1070 work in your room, that's what i'd go for. Your placement options are very limited with the 1070, (the lens shift feature is extremely small) but it trumps the 8350 in almost every other way. Real world contrast numbers are 800:1 for the Epson vs. 1200:1 for the Benq. The Benq is Brighter in every mode. (1500+ lumens in normal, 1100 in Eco mode) The Benq doesn't suffer from panel alignment issues (which cannot be adjusted on the Epson) so it's usually much sharper. And the Benq has 3D. (If you care about that.)
Where the Epson has advantages is in placement, (The Benq's lens shift is a joke compared to the Epson. No contest.) Fan noise, and no DLP rainbow effect.

Gear in this thread - ~100 by PriceGrabber.com