• 1 Post By sethsez

post #1 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD131xe vs. W1070, quality vs. Placement

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my trusty HC1500, and I'm looking at those two options - the BenQ w1070 and Optoma HD131xe.
I understand from reading that the w1070 is better regarding for 2D (my main use), however after checking the placement of the projector, using projectorcentral site, it appears that placement wise, the long throw of the HD131xe is better for me.
Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything...
Will both be a significant upgrade over the HC1500?
Should I try to get the mrs. to agree to move some stuff so I can place the w1070, or is the quality similar enough between the two in the big picture?

Also, are there other options at the same quality/price i should check?
I understand that a refreshed version of said PJ's is coming out, but with no major change.

Thanks,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The w1070 is noticeably better in at least three major video qualities (visibly better color, and when both projectors are set at more accurate presets, roughly twice the contrast and brightness) and very much worth seeing if you can move your mount forward. The w1070's higher brightness and better colors also mean brighter and less washed-out 3D.

The closest options to matching the w1070 in picture quality cost between $1200-1800. The options that actually beat it cost over $2000 and even then are only really able to beat its contrast.
The closest option near its price is probably the Epson 8350/8345 which has slightly poorer contrast, worse gaming performance and no 3D. The Epson does have a very good lens with incredible placement flexibility, high brightness and good colors.

If you can't get the w1070 without becoming newly single, I'd look at the Epson 8345 if you can pass on 3D..it's more expensive but is a decent amount better looking than the 131xe. I'd choose the 131xe third (or second if you need 3D and want to game on it).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-09-2014 at 05:27 AM.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the exact same issues including the WAF. Went with HD131xe being delivered on Tuesday. Let you know how it goes
post #4 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The w1070 is noticeably better in at least three major video qualities (visibly better color, and when both projectors are set at more accurate presets, roughly twice the contrast and brightness) and very much worth seeing if you can move your mount forward. The w1070's higher brightness and better colors also mean brighter and less washed-out 3D.

The closest options to matching the w1070 in picture quality cost between $1200-1800. The options that actually beat it cost over $2000 and even then are only really able to beat its contrast.
The closest option near its price is probably the Epson 8350/8345 which has slightly poorer contrast, worse gaming performance and no 3D. The Epson does have a very good lens with incredible placement flexibility, high brightness and good colors.

If you can't get the w1070 without becoming newly single, I'd look at the Epson 8345 if you can pass on 3D..it's more expensive but is a decent amount better looking than the 131xe. I'd choose the 131xe third (or second if you need 3D and want to game on it).
Sounds one sided to me. The PQ is almost similar post calibration. The Benq's blacks are not good and the operating noise is worse than the Optoma. I do agree that the colors are a bit more accurate on the Benq but that's pretty much it.

Blu-ray : 340
post #5 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Sounds one sided to me. The PQ is almost similar post calibration. The Benq's blacks are not good and the operating noise is worse than the Optoma. I do agree that the colors are a bit more accurate on the Benq but that's pretty much it.
Post calibration means that both units have brilliantcolor at minimum (off, in the case of the w1070). At which point the 131 is putting out around 450lumens in eco compared to about 800from the 1070 (or roughly 650 compared to 1200 in full-lamp). Measures contrast of the 131 at this point is around 800:1 while the 1070's is 1400:1. As you said, colors are still more accurate on the Benq, part of the reason for that is the Optoma never even lets you shut brilliantcolor completely off and is always adding some extra white to every image.

The 131 has darker blacks because it is a dimmer projector with a much lower wattage lamp that also runs quieter for the same reason. The higher contrast of the w1070 means in eco, with a $15NDfilter it will have darker blacks than the 131 while still delivering brighter whites AND better, more vibrant colors all at the same time. It is louder, however and some people are bothered by the extra fan noise.

I should also probably point out that the Optoma has some bothersome software that erases your saves settings whenever you change something in a preset (because it only has one user setting) while the Benq doesn't do this and has a couple user settings, four I think if you count 3D ones as well. The Optoma also adds grain into the image though this is mostly only noticeable with brilliantcolor turned above minimum, but it is always there's somewhat because it never lets you shut brilliantcolor completely off. The 131 also has cheaper replacement lamps though it probably matters very little considering you'll likely be changing lamps every 5 to 7 years.

I'm speaking from the experience of having owned both of these projectors, and with no bias because I no longer own either one.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-09-2014 at 04:21 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Not so one-sided, unfortunately. The difference in black levels in practice has been found to be quite small. The Optoma also gets slated repeatedly, in review after review, for issues regarding poor color accuracy; presumably due to their poor choice in color-wheel in this model.

Check the professional ProjectorReviews Optoma HD131Xe Review, where this is bemoaned explicitly:
Quote:
  1. Color accuracy could be a lot better
  2. Does not calibrate well, controls lack enough range
  3. Too much image noise visible, especially in close-ups of faces
The review's author in the comments section also recommends the W1070 over the Optoma for both color accuracy and reduced RBE:
Quote:
I can't believe I didn't mention the RBE, because I am rainbow sensitive, and was definitely bothered by them far, far more than the W1070, or the W1500 that I'm finishing up right now. Well, I usually say at least once in every review, that first time buyers almost always say whatever projector they bought far exceeded expectations. That said, for those who expect to get "the bug" for hard core home theater, I'd have to recommend the W1070. -art

Finally, even most 'average' users comparing the two find the same: it's discussed here all the time. Check
here, for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwaw View Post
After several hours of comparison b/w the 2 watching several different movies, it was incredibly easy for me to make up my mind on which to keep. IMO, here is a final summary b/w the two projectors:
-Without a doubt, the 1070 gives an overall better 2D image and much better experience.
-However, the hd131 is better for 3D.
Heck, even on other forums the same conclusion is usually found.

That's not to say the Optoma's a terrible projector: it certainly isn't. But if a new buyer can get them at roughly the same price and the W1070 works OK in the room, it should probably be first choice.
Hopefully, down the line as new models come in from Optoma (like the upcoming Optoma HD50), more modern color-wheel designs may see stiffer competition from them.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #7 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Not so one-sided, unfortunately. The difference in black levels in practice has been found to be quite small. The Optoma also gets slated repeatedly, in review after review, for issues regarding poor color accuracy; presumably due to their poor choice in color-wheel in this model.

Check the professional ProjectorReviews Optoma HD131Xe Review, where this is bemoaned explicitly:

The review's author in the comments section also recommends the W1070 over the Optoma for both color accuracy and reduced RBE:

Finally, even most 'average' users comparing the two find the same: it's discussed here all the time. Check
here, for example:

Heck, even on other forums the same conclusion is usually found.

That's not to say the Optoma's a terrible projector: it certainly isn't. But if a new buyer can get them at roughly the same price and the W1070 works OK in the room, it should probably be first choice.
Hopefully, down the line as new models come in from Optoma (like the upcoming Optoma HD50), more modern color-wheel designs may see stiffer competition from them.
I'm guessing the HD-25LV uses the same color wheel as the HD131xe?

I'm trying to decide between the HD-25LV and the W1070 for gaming(and some TV/blu-ray) on a 150-180" screen. I could really care less about 3d. I think the HD-25LV's input lag is lower then the W1070 by around 10ms.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERMint13 View Post
I'm guessing the HD-25LV uses the same color wheel as the HD131xe?

I'm trying to decide between the HD-25LV and the W1070 for gaming(and some TV/blu-ray) on a 150-180" screen. I could really care less about 3d. I think the HD-25LV's input lag is lower then the W1070 by around 10ms.
The 25lv does still use the inaccurate wheel unfortunately. The good news is the difference in lag (if there is one) won't be noticeable and all of these low-lag DLPs make excellent gaming monitors. The w1070 and the 25lv use an equally bright lamp so the w1070 will put out a brighter accurate image and brighter colors while the 25lv is capable of brighter black&white content. The shorter throw-distance of the 1070 means you'll get a larger image out of your mounting distance, so that may be a good or a bad thing depending on what you need.

post #9 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I finally got a chance to see the 1070 in action. I wish I could have seen it side by side next to my 131xe. In all honesty, to me, it looked about the same. Not sure if it was calibrated but it looked maybe a tad more brighter and quite a bit louder. The contrast looked the same as did everything else. I didn't notice the blacks being that much worse either. I did a lot of research and it seems to me, if you want to find reviews stating how much better the 1070 is, you will find them. I found about equal amounts of posts of people claiming just the opposite or saying they returned the 1070 to get the 131xe. Most of the reviews I have read say that the 131xe outperforms the 1070 in 3-d. Not sure if that's because it can use the rf emitter or what. I'm not a super videophile and I am a newb with projectors but to me, most people are going to see them as pretty darn close to one another. I read all the reviews from all the .com sites and I take them with a grain of salt. I used to write reviews for flat panels long ago and you find out things such as the way each company (and even each person) tests things are going to be different and each panel (and I am assuming each projector) is going to yield slightly different results.

At the end of the day, unless one has a feature you can't live without and it is within your means, see which one looks good to YOU and YOUR eyes. I got the 131xe because when I bought it, it was quite a bit cheaper and I couldn't live with the fan noise. Although I didn't get to see the 1070 before I ordered mine, I'm sure I could have found a way to get past the fan noise and I would be equally happy had I ordered the Benq. It's nice to see all their specs, youtube videos, threads and tons of posts but we are talking about 2 entry level projectors.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
[At the end of the day, unless one has a feature you can't live without ... ]

I'd agree. And having the right throw distance is a pretty BIG feature to do without. The combination of the W1070 being louder and being closer to likely seating distance is a big negative for me.

As far as a brightness difference goes, ProjectorReviews.com claims 1600 calibrated lumens for the 131xe and and the W1070 at 1700 lumens. Insignificant IMHO.

It comes down to color accuracy and image noise vs. quieter fan and better throw for the OP's needs.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #11 of 28 Old 08-10-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
As far as a brightness difference goes, ProjectorReviews.com claims 1600 calibrated lumens for the 131xe and and the W1070 at 1700 lumens. Insignificant IMHO.

It comes down to color accuracy and image noise vs. quieter fan and better throw for the OP's needs.
That's just what their brightest and least accurate modes were listed at, the brightness difference at more accurate settings shows the 131xe at 850lumens (still with some BC up) and the w1070 twice as much..even still measuring 1300+lumens in ECO lamp with brilliantcolor off.

The w1070 also has an equally large contrast advantage going for it. These differences aren't the end of the world, but these two cost about the same and many people aren't bothered by the extra noise. If it fits in your room, the w1070 is worth a try. If it doesn't or is too loud, there are plenty of slightly cheaper DLPs that offer very similar performance to the 131xe (slightly less color accuracy from most..but less of a difference between them than there is between the 1070 and 131xe) for an even lower price..if the lower quality doesn't really bother someone, they might also be surprisingly okay with a lower-res model for a significantly smaller price. It's a slippery slope.

post #12 of 28 Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
That's just what their brightest and least accurate modes were listed at, the brightness difference at more accurate settings shows the 131xe at 850lumens (still with some BC up) and the w1070 twice as much..even still measuring 1300+lumens in ECO lamp with brilliantcolor off.

The w1070 also has an equally large contrast advantage going for it. These differences aren't the end of the world, but these two cost about the same and many people aren't bothered by the extra noise. If it fits in your room, the w1070 is worth a try. If it doesn't or is too loud, there are plenty of slightly cheaper DLPs that offer very similar performance to the 131xe (slightly less color accuracy from most..but less of a difference between them than there is between the 1070 and 131xe) for an even lower price..if the lower quality doesn't really bother someone, they might also be surprisingly okay with a lower-res model for a significantly smaller price. It's a slippery slope.
Thanks for the assistance, I will try to get the wife to agree to w1070 shorter range.
post #13 of 28 Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I recently did an extensive side by side test of the BenQ W1070 and Optoma HD131XE for seven days and chose the W1070. I have put up a thread on this on AVForums UK and I will summarise my thoughts in a couple of days on my choice after seeing both
post #14 of 28 Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My comments were based on my own experience demoing both PJs. I chose the optoma due to the longer throw, better blacks and reduced operating noise which is important for me considering my HT environment.

To me the biggest advantage of the Benq is the lens shift.

Both looked almost identical in terms of PQ.

There is a YouTube clip comparing both PJs. Pick your poison.

Blu-ray : 340

Last edited by lgans316; 08-10-2014 at 03:20 AM.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Which other cheaper projectors are you especially thinking about?
post #16 of 28 Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypropylen View Post
Which other cheaper projectors are you especially thinking about?
The lowest price Acer 1080p model is mentioned as having decent color performance for its price as is its 720p cousin that sells under $500. There are a few viewsonic and vivitek models a bit under the 131xe's price, but for those that don't really care too much there are tons of 720p and SD models selling by most major brands for down to $300 and occasionally below.

The major thing is to stay DLP if you want decent contrast under $2000..cheap LCD have very low measured contrast. Every other DLP besides the w1070/1080 and upcoming hd50 is going to be roughly similar in full-color brightness and contrast. The hd50 and w1070 don't have white segments in their colorwheels so their full-color accuracy, brightness and contrast are basically untouched by every other DLP under $2000 (besides the hd30b which is $1800). The hd50 is likely going to cost about twice as much as the w1070 so the Benq is still fairly free of any real competition. If Optoma simply made a version of the 131xe that used an RGBRGB colorwheel it would be VERY competitive and cost the same to build as it does now! But they don't..the hd50 is close, but higher wattage, louder and much more expensive. No idea what they're thinking.

For anyone who DOES notice a difference, I'd still recommend the 131xe over the cheaper models if you can't get the w1070 or dislike it.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-10-2014 at 05:39 AM.
post #17 of 28 Old 08-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So as long as you cripple both projectors by turning off brilliant color and running in ECO lamp mode, you can get the low numbers you quote. Interesting approach. Of course, the actual reviewers and calibrators at ProjectorReviews.com are idiots. I see.

Kirk Ellis
post #18 of 28 Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ask anyone who understands how color luminance works in calibration and they may agree to a less harshly worded version of what you just said. Then again, Art doesn't call that an accurate calibration, it is a brightest image that is still considered watchable. It's not just about color either, turning brilliantcolor up on the Optoma puts grainy pixel halos around edges..the higher the setting, the more obnoxious the halos. Turning up brilliantcolor doesn't make the Optoma brighter equally, just white, grey and (to a lesser extent) yellow and near-whites get brightened. Strong colors stay around 650lumens at the brightest.

I'm not calling the 131xe a bad projector, in fact it's the best looking projector under $750. It's just that the w1070 looks better and is currently about the same price. There's no reason for a present owner of the 131 to be upset, it's still a good device and the w1070 used to be a bit more expensive.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-11-2014 at 02:30 AM.
post #19 of 28 Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
So as long as you cripple both projectors by turning off brilliant color and running in ECO lamp mode, you can get the low numbers you quote. Interesting approach. Of course, the actual reviewers and calibrators at ProjectorReviews.com are idiots. I see.
That's not "crippling" the projectors, that's calibrating them to an industry-wide agreed-upon color standard and reducing noise and distortion to their lowest possible points. Sure, both projectors can get brighter, but the point is to find out how bright they can get while still delivering the best possible picture. It's no different from determining how loud a speaker can get before it starts distorting: if speaker A gets twice as loud as speaker B but starts distorting three times sooner, then speaker B still winds up giving you its peak performance across a wider range.

If color accuracy and image noise aren't huge concerns, the HD131xe can deliver a brighter picture. If they are, then the W1070 can deliver a brighter picture. It all depends on the application and the audience for whether that matters or not.
kreeturez likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
That's not "crippling" the projectors, that's calibrating them to an industry-wide agreed-upon color standard and reducing noise and distortion to their lowest possible points. Sure, both projectors can get brighter, but the point is to find out how bright they can get while still delivering the best possible picture. It's no different from determining how loud a speaker can get before it starts distorting: if speaker A gets twice as loud as speaker B but starts distorting three times sooner, then speaker B still winds up giving you its peak performance across a wider range.

If color accuracy and image noise aren't huge concerns, the HD131xe can deliver a brighter picture. If they are, then the W1070 can deliver a brighter picture. It all depends on the application and the audience for whether that matters or not.
So ProjectorReview.com calls 1600 lumens "calibrated" for the HD131xe, yet you want me to buy into ftoast's 450 lumens figure ? Why should I place his opinion, or your opinion, on what constitutes "calibrated" over that of ProjectorReview.com ? You did understand the professional reviews I mentioned were reporting "calibrated" numbers, right ?

Kirk Ellis
post #21 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Because there are two undeniable facts.
The measured brightness of red, green and blue at their absolute brightest only adds up to about 650lumens on the 131 because of the lower powered lamp and half the colorwheel not being able to produce red, green or blue (and instead being able to pass more white light).

Because the brightest the colors can go is 650lumens, and there is no way to get them any brighter without using an rgbrgb colorwheel or a brighter lamp, the only way to balance white and color brightness (AKA a properly calibrated image) is to lower peak white and greyscale to match peak color and color-scale.

Having white be 3X brighter than red,green,blue combined is NOT a proper calibration, and results in what should be bright reds looking like dark wine and what should be vibrant yellows looking like dark mustard. It is far off enough for most people to notice that familiar colors don't look like they should.
lgans316 likes this.

post #22 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Explained a different way, imagine there's a LCD flatscreen manufacturer. They want to make a screen that's able to be brighter than ever, but they've already hit the limit of how bright their backlight can go..the only brighter backlight will melt the display so they need a different way.

Usually each pixel is made up of a red,green,and blue line..shining all together makes the pixel white, yadda yadda. BUT, if they replace every other rgb pixel with a white one, those white pixels pass 3X more light through than the rgb pixels and more backlight light comes out the display. Success!

But wait, since every other pixel is now only capable of greyscale, how's that affect the image? Well white is obviously brighter..near whites too, so flesh-tones and light-blue skies and pale objects in general look much brighter than before. What about a deep red apple or a bold colored shirt or most animated content? Those require red,green,blue pixels primarily and you've just gotten rid of half of those to make room for the brighter white pixels..so your apple or shirt or animation is going to not only be dimmer than the pale content, but EVEN DARKER than the old display this was supposed to replace! Not only are colors darker than before, but they are noticeably imbalanced with pale content..colorful cartoons now look dark and have bright glowing white eyes and formerly bold colors in live-action look almost muddy.

You can fix this unsightly imbalance by only using the rgb pixels (naturally calibrated image, how about that), but you're going to be half as bright as the old display. Sure there's room for compromise, but it'll always be just that..a compromised image.

By now it should be clear how bad an idea a non-rgb segment in a projector that's made for colored theater is.

As a side-note, would a manufacturer of flatscreens really be so foolish? That's just silly, right? ..right? ..enter the Sharp Quatro. It has replaced 25% of its rgb pixel space with yellow because yellow passes about 92% as much light as white would AND they can fool the average customer by saying "hey, it's another color..it enhances colors." Despite the fact that red and green already makes a perfect and balanced yellow and any additional yellow brightness simply washes-out the display.
They are also notoriously hard to calibrate and never come out quite right.
Sony is guilty of doing the same thing (with white instead of yellow this time) in certain mobile displays. The general excuse is that a brighter display fights more light..they conveniently forgot that light also makes mobile display colors look weak and they aren't doing any great favors by weakening them further.

The missing link in all this is that Art/projectorreviews doesn't seem to realize the direct connection between the white segment/pixel and "Brilliantcolor". He obviously understands the use, concept and downfalls of a white segment, but hasn't yet put 1 and 1 together and realized that brilliantcolor is simply the dimmer control on the white pixel per-se. Turning brilliantcolor off makes the DLP not allow light through the white segment and only uses the balanced rgb segments. Turning BC up uses the white more and more and causes the imbalance of white-to-colors that makes formerly vibrant colors dull by compare. He understands BC affects brightness particularly in models with a white segment, but otherwise discusses brilliantcolor as if it's a mysterious bit of software that's working some unknown magic.
He's an intelligent person who writes very well and certainly tries his best, but he does seem to have a limited understanding of brilliantcolor and how it affects calibration.
lgans316 likes this.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-12-2014 at 01:14 AM.
post #23 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
So ProjectorReview.com calls 1600 lumens "calibrated" for the HD131xe, yet you want me to buy into ftoast's 450 lumens figure ? Why should I place his opinion, or your opinion, on what constitutes "calibrated" over that of ProjectorReview.com ? You did understand the professional reviews I mentioned were reporting "calibrated" numbers, right ?
Directly from their review:

Quote:
Since we see this as a home entertainment projector, and Mike only calibrates one mode, he left it on 10, because that setting provides the brightest image, and we see this projector, mostly going into rooms that are less than ideal, and need the brightest image.
Quote:
Consider Brilliant Color to be a tool to use to get the image to look the way you want it to. The more you use, due to contrast increases, etc., the less natural the image, but if it pleases you, go for it.
They crank it because it increases brightness at the expense of color accuracy, which they think fits the model of how most people will be using this particular projector. They admit up-front that it's calibrated according to the expectations of a perceived audience and not for the best possible picture quality, which can be useful in a few specific scenarios but makes for a terrible point of general comparison.
Ftoast likes this.
post #24 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM

I agree with what you guys are saying. I am not as tech savvy on projectors but can this be remedied with another color wheel? I am looking at the color wheel replacements for these projectors and they look like a stupid plastic color wheel. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to swap it out but I am betting that they are probably not universal and there is probably some processing or something going on in conjunction with the color wheel.

As it stands, I have my 131xe fairly dialed in and the colors look great BUT, I have a totally controlled room. I can't imagine anything any brighter. I could only image that my eyes would fatigue after half a movie if it was brighter.

I guess the argument could be turned around and I could mod the 1070 with a larger .quieter fan to shut up the jet turbine blades and somehow mount it in a way so I didn't have to see it's hind quarters but all that work defeats the purpose of these being cheap entry level projectors.

If the OP is still debating, I really don't think you can go wrong with ether of these. After seeing them both with all their flaws, I could flip a coin and not care. Well, until the Benq blows a bulb and I have to pay almost half of what a new projector costs.
post #25 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
I agree with what you guys are saying. I am not as tech savvy on projectors but can this be remedied with another color wheel? I am looking at the color wheel replacements for these projectors and they look like a stupid plastic color wheel. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to swap it out but I am betting that they are probably not universal and there is probably some processing or something going on in conjunction with the color wheel.
Color Wheels are not interchangeable; unfortunately: each projector runs specific firmware that's tuned to the segment layout/sizes of only one wheel layout.

Quote:
As it stands, I have my 131xe fairly dialed in and the colors look great BUT, I have a totally controlled room. I can't imagine anything any brighter. I could only image that my eyes would fatigue after half a movie if it was brighter.
This is a valid point.

Remember that in the past, even a 1000-lumen-or-so projector was considered really bright; especially since home front projection was almost exclusive to very well light-controlled rooms.

But having spare brightness on-hand is a good thing in some cases: firstly, because it allows use in ambient light. Secondly, because traditional UHP lamps lose a lot of brightness as they age. Surplus brightness can also be easily remedied with Eco mode (or a cheap ND filter): the reverse isn't true, though (ie additional brightness can never be 'gained').

In a perfectly light-controlled room, though, this probably doesn't matter - as you've seen.

Quote:
I guess the argument could be turned around and I could mod the 1070 with a larger .quieter fan to shut up the jet turbine blades and somehow mount it in a way so I didn't have to see it's hind quarters but all that work defeats the purpose of these being cheap entry level projectors.
On Eco mode the projector is quiet - fan-noise measures similar to it's competition; and still delivers a ton of accurate brightness.

On Normal/Smart-Eco, it's significantly louder. Few have found even that deal-breaking... though it is much louder.

On high-altitude-mode, we're square into jet-turbine territory. But that applies to most projectors, I guess!

Quote:
If the OP is still debating, I really don't think you can go wrong with ether of these. After seeing them both with all their flaws, I could flip a coin and not care. Well, until the Benq blows a bulb and I have to pay almost half of what a new projector costs.
ProVantage has originals of both (they get my personal recommendation for official replacement - ie, not knock-off or OEM-bulb-only lamps); the difference is just $70 or so. I don't think that difference is very significant considering that bulbs are only replaced every 2-3 years in most use-cases.
Ftoast likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #26 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Provantage. Never heard of them. It looks like $150 for the Optoma but the 1070 is $340!!!

The 1070 I checked out must not have been in eco mode because it wasn't just noticeable. it was downright distracting. Like most anything, I was trying to find out it's flaws and the way I am, I can pick out flaws in anything.

One piece of advise I can give is to get a good mount. I got one of those $25 "universal" ones and I had to cut one of the legs and invert the others just to get it close to being centered and when I do have to change the bulb, I am going to have to take it all apart again. The adjustments on it suck too. You have to tighten it up as close as possible and then nudge it the rest of the way.
post #27 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on Provantage. Never heard of them. It looks like $150 for the Optoma but the 1070 is $340!!!
Huh? The original BenQ-Branded replacement lamp-kit (link here - BenQ Part No 5J.J7L05.001) is $218.47. (I'm assuming you're looking at a 3rd-party model? Not sure...)
Original HD131Xe lamp (link here) is $150.05.

That's just a $68.42 difference. Over the 2-3 years of expected life or more, that's not so significant.

Quote:
One piece of advise I can give is to get a good mount. I got one of those $25 "universal" ones and I had to cut one of the legs and invert the others just to get it close to being centered and when I do have to change the bulb, I am going to have to take it all apart again. The adjustments on it suck too. You have to tighten it up as close as possible and then nudge it the rest of the way.
Very good advice.

I picked up a relatively cheap unbranded universal mount (which appears no longer on sale...) that ended up being OK for my needs (it offered tilt, yaw and horizontal shifting - that last bit came in handy due to the projector's lack of horizontal lens shift). Like most mounts, it didn't offer any way to lower the mount itself (telescoping-mount-style) without replacing the piping; but I was able to use Vertical Lens Shift on the projector to compensate without degradation of the image.
Ftoast likes this.

Last edited by kreeturez; 08-12-2014 at 09:21 AM.
post #28 of 28 Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
They have two lamps for the W1070, with the official BenQ one being $220. No idea why the third party one is so much more, but it's not the one you'd want to buy anyway.

http://www.provantage.com/benq-5j-j7...1~7BEN906E.htm

Quote:
The 1070 I checked out must not have been in eco mode because it wasn't just noticeable. it was downright distracting.
Yeah, the differences between eco, smart-eco and normal are quite noticeable. I only ever run mine higher than eco if I'm watching a 3D movie, which is rare.
kreeturez likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page