Please help me decide projector + screen for my room. Many pictures inside! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face Please help me decide projector + screen for my room. Room pictured in detail inside.

Hello!

I'm a long time lurker that just registered. Nice to be a part of this fantastic community! I will build my first real home cinema in a few weeks and would really love to get your help on some decisions. Very grateful for any input!

I will go with projector + screen + sound system in the room pictured below. You should get a pretty good perception of the room there and screen will be over media furniture pictured. As you can see, there are a few windows to the right to the outside. I will make sure to get some good curtains, but I will eventually get some daylight in the room, as well that the walls (at least right now) are white. Thinking if painting them gray, but that would be a later project. There is also a doorway w/o a door as you can see, but no light will be coming from there as there are no windows in other room. Ceiling height is 2,40m or 7.9 feet

2D with dimensions in meters

2D with dimensions feet

3D mock up

3D mockup another angle

Now, I am going to use this room only for multimedia. Blue rays, mkv:s, playstation 4 gaming mostly. So film and gaming. I love 3D so that is important for me. Not really any broadcast-TV and in that case on demand via pay services. I am no true enthusiast in that my skills are limited within this field. I can appreciate a good picture when I see one, but have limited knowledge on some technical aspects. I have done some research though, so I am not totally uninformed.

My viewing profile historically has not been calibrating everything so it's exactly correct to some ISO standard. I've wanted to do it, have tried, but usually end up cranking up contrast, colors 'and brightness higher. I love a sharp and colourful picture with plenty of brightness and shine. I am not a stranger to proper calibration later on though.

My plan was initially to get
  • Optoma HD25e
  • Euroscreen react 2 with 104" thin bezels
  • Triangle galaxy 2 5.1.

Screen is really expensive, but after trying it in a semi bright room I was impressed compared to more expensive projectors on a white cheaper screen. That room will never be pitch black. Went to my retailer and tried the triangle and it was great.

Now they've offered me a really good deal on the HD30, that supposedly has higher contrast but lower brightness than 25e. I want good blacks, but I am not as knowledgeable as some to tell the difference. As long as it is not one big black smear w/o any detail I'm happy. As a third option there is the HD25-LV even brighter. Se pic below for comparison between the 3. What also confuses me is that the 25e seems to be a rebranded HD131Xe but more expensive...that does not feel good.

So now, what do you think what be the best screen and projector combo for my Room and preferences? Don't think I'll be able to look at all 3 projectors before I decide, they are not all mounted. I am also open for a whole new suggestion, but projector + screen should not exceed €2100. Like I wrote above, 3D is really important to me, and from some reviews here at avs, there have been some complaints on brightness levels on 3d for some optoma projectors. Therefore the lower brightness on the HD30 scares me a little,as well as it has higher latency - over 40ms than 25e. Like I wrote above, gaming is also important, so the lower the response time the better.

Many thanks and please tell me if you need any additional info!

Last edited by grapper; 08-10-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Of those 3 projectors, I'd pick the HD30. The Benq projectors are the DLP projectors I'd be looking at.
With a light rejecting screen like the react2, i would use a projector that has a good amount of lens shift like the Benq w7000/7500, and the 3LCD and LCOS projectors. But that would probably break past your budget.
kreeturez likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Of those 3 projectors, I'd pick the HD30.
The Benq projectors are the DLP projectors I'd be looking at.
Can you elaborate a little more as to why the hd30 and prefer benq?

Quote:
With a light rejecting screen like the react2, i would use a projector that has a good amount of lens shift like the Benq w7000/7500, and the 3LCD and LCOS projectors. But that would probably break past your budget.
Yes, it would break my budget a lot, unless I get a cheaper screen. Why is lens shift particularly important for a react screen? Full name for screen is Euroscreen frame vision light react 2.1 104" btw.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The hd30 is the only current Optoma projector with a proper colorwheel (rgbrgb) and it produces a more accurate image because of this, BUT much more it produces that accurate image without a lot of extreme calibration so it is able to use all its brightness and contrast. Every other Optoma projector (except the upcoming hd50) uses a white segment in the colorwheel which significantly lowers how bright colors can be while raising how bright black&white content can be. This allows their projectors to show as very bright in tests while the actual balanced image (where colors and whites are at balanced brightness) is much dimmer than listed.

The rgbrgb hd30 and soon hd50 have a much brighter lamp similar to the hd25lv AND they use a proper colorwheel so their colors aren't incorrectly dimmer than white. It really simply means you'll be able to use ALL of their brightness even in a balanced image rather than just a little. There's one other projector that offers the same good colorwheel as the hd30 and hd50 and that is the Benq w1070.

This is why the w1070 is so often suggested, it gives very similar (in some ways superior) performance as the hd30/50 while costing half or 1/3 as much! The w1070 should be your first choose if at all possible.

Also yes, the hd131xe and the hd25e are the exact same projector (guts) inside a different color case. They were even running the exact same firmware updates at one point. I have no idea why Optoma did this, I'm guessing at one point the hd25e was only available in certain areas while the 131 was only available in others but now they practically always overlap.
ben38, kreeturez and grapper like this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for your great response, I understand some things a lot clearer now! The W1070 is certainly a good candidate, but two things are worrying me a little with it. Noisy and for 104 it will have to be placed at 2.65 meters from screen instead of overhead. Also bad for noise.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapper View Post
Many thanks for your great response, I understand some things a lot clearer now! The W1070 is certainly a good candidate, but two things are worrying me a little with it. Noisy and for 104 it will have to be placed at 2.65 meters from screen instead of overhead. Also bad for noise.

Not so bad for noise: this projector has its main fan grill on the front; meaning that if seating is behind it, you're subject to less noise.

We have ours mounted directly overhead (about 1.5 meters above us) and even on brightest lamp mode, it's not noisy enough to hear over even soft dialogue coming from the surround system.

In your case, at just 104" screen size, you'll also probably get away with running it in Eco mode; which is even quieter.
Ftoast likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

"Yes, it would break my budget a lot, unless I get a cheaper screen. Why is lens shift particularly important for a react screen? Full name for screen is Euroscreen frame vision light react 2.1 104" btw."

If you're not trying to maximize the performance of a specialty screen like the React 2.1, I don't see the point of getting one when a regular low gain grey screen will do the same job. Sure, it'll look good with a ceiling mounted offset projector, but you'll never see what that screen is truly capable of. So why buy it?
My work buddy just recently had his eyes opened when he mounted his new Sony projector on his back wall (17 foot throw) about 6 feet off the floor and aimed it at his DNP Supernova core1 2.3 screen. His picture was now about twice as bright as before and without the pronounced hotspot he had before. For more than a year, he was using the very bright benq1070 ceiling mounted with an 11 foot throw. His angle of projection was fine for most screens, but lousy for that type of screen. He was angry at himself for spending so much money for a good screen (2000+ dollars) and wasting its potential for more than a year.
Ftoast and grapper like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Not so bad for noise: this projector has its main fan grill on the front; meaning that if seating is behind it, you're subject to less noise.

We have ours mounted directly overhead (about 1.5 meters above us) and even on brightest lamp mode, it's not noisy enough to hear over even soft dialogue coming from the surround system.

In your case, at just 104" screen size, you'll also probably get away with running it in Eco mode; which is even quieter.
Ok great, thanks. It's just I've heard quite a lot about the noise when I've read user reviews. Not so much complaining but mentioning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
"Yes, it would break my budget a lot, unless I get a cheaper screen. Why is lens shift particularly important for a react screen? Full name for screen is Euroscreen frame vision light react 2.1 104" btw."

If you're not trying to maximize the performance of a specialty screen like the React 2.1, I don't see the point of getting one when a regular low gain grey screen will do the same job. Sure, it'll look good with a ceiling mounted offset projector, but you'll never see what that screen is truly capable of. So why buy it?
My work buddy just recently had his eyes opened when he mounted his new Sony projector on his back wall (17 foot throw) about 6 feet off the floor and aimed it at his DNP Supernova core1 2.3 screen. His picture was now about twice as bright as before and without the pronounced hotspot he had before. For more than a year, he was using the very bright benq1070 ceiling mounted with an 11 foot throw. His angle of projection was fine for most screens, but lousy for that type of screen. He was angry at himself for spending so much money for a good screen (2000+ dollars) and wasting its potential for more than a year.
My reasoning was that I either spend money on a really good projector and get a medium good screen, or I get a REALLY good screen with a good projector. I was just really impressed by how even the HD25e looked on that screen, even when the room was lit up. Guess I just decided I had to get that screen and maybe upgrade projector later when I get more picky. This is my first home theater setup. :-)

So if I get the previously recommended BenQ W7000 or the W7000+ instead, could you advice on screen type please?I plan on ceiling mount above the sofa or in front of it. I was looking at a 104" screen, but probably don't want to get too big either considering the distance to the placement of the sofa? Cannot be crazy expensive since I spend quite a lot more on projector now, but it needs to perform rather well even if there is some light in the room. The retailer where I will buy this have the following brands:

Euroscreen
Grandview
Kingpin
Screen Excellence
Screen Research
Screen Innovation
Stewart

I am happy to see response time seems to be around the 35ms mark which is fine. Not really low, but enough for me that don'¨t do any advanced FPS gaming...
Looked at the 7500 as well, but it has 60+ms input lag. That is too high.

Many thanks to all of you that has helped me so far - I am so grateful for all your advice.

Last edited by grapper; 08-11-2014 at 06:49 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

You've probably already been asked this, but here goes: If you're planning to paint your room in the future anyway, why don't you just change your plans and paint your room first?
Once your room is properly darkened, a lot of your decisions become easier and cheaper.
grapper likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that is probably whats going to happen. I spent my last vacation day in the store and looked at many different projectors. One that really stood out was of course the most expensive one we looked at. Why is it always like that hehe.

The Sony HW-40ES really woved me, both in 2D and 3D and it performed very well even with some light around it with the screen Grandview Velvet Cinema 16:9. Gaming was a dream with response time in the 20s. So after a lot of anxiety and thinking I decided to go with it and a 106" screen. I got a really good package deal with everything in the end. I will have to work with the lighting in my room, but I don't have to make it a complete batcave.

So, I am very grateful for your input and also apologize for not giving you a bbetter budget to work with from the start. It's one thing setting a budget when you try to be more pragmatic about things online, it's another when you see the difference in the store. It will be a few weeks until I get everything mounted as we are just moving in, and I will probably start with a white room but work with the outside light. Then paint it gray later on.

Only thing that is missing now is 3d glasses as they werent included. Trying to decide whether IR (built in) or RF is the better choice. Then I have to buy separate transmitter.

Last edited by grapper; 08-11-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page