Projector for my new theater room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-10-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Projector for my new theater room

I hate to create one of these noob type threads, but this area is totally new to me, and I have no idea what to look for. So I am seeking guidance from those more experienced.....
The projector will be ceiling mounted. Will be using a roll up screen, I think it's about 80-85", bolted to the wall. The wall is about 10 feet away from where the projector will be mounted. Room can be totally blacked out.
Will only be used for movies/TV.
Would like to keep the budget <$2500. My main concern is image quality, black levels. I am coming from a decent plasma. 3D would be optional. Not a necessity.

Thank you for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The best blacks within your budget will come from the Sony hw40 or Epson 5030ub. They are pretty close in blacks but the Sony has been consistently rated as the better and more accurate image while the Epson has smoother 3D. It sounds like the Sony would be the better fit for your situation.

It will easily make that size screen from that distance, it runs very quiet and it is pretty much the best available under $3500 (where the hw55 and JVC's tend to start).

If possible, I'd look for getting a fixed-frame screen because rollups tend to get waves and wrinkles within a year or two. If a solid frame would work but is out of budget right now, another option is painting one onto a smoother wall with flat-white interior wallpaint. It's incredibly easy and inexpensive for the fantastic results it gives.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
My main concern is image quality, black levels.
Thank you for you help.
Unlike a TV, your room color can destroy your contrast. Dark colors no less than 5 ft out from the screen on the ceiling wall and floors is minimal treatment for reflected wash out prevention. Black velvet is the ultimate but any flat dark color is better than white.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The best blacks within your budget will come from the Sony hw40 or Epson 5030ub. They are pretty close in blacks but the Sony has been consistently rated as the better and more accurate image while the Epson has smoother 3D. It sounds like the Sony would be the better fit for your situation.

It will easily make that size screen from that distance, it runs very quiet and it is pretty much the best available under $3500 (where the hw55 and JVC's tend to start).

If possible, I'd look for getting a fixed-frame screen because rollups tend to get waves and wrinkles within a year or two. If a solid frame would work but is out of budget right now, another option is painting one onto a smoother wall with flat-white interior wallpaint. It's incredibly easy and inexpensive for the fantastic results it gives.
Thanks! Didn't think of just using the entire wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Unlike a TV, your room color can destroy your contrast. Dark colors no less than 5 ft out from the screen on the ceiling wall and floors is minimal treatment for reflected wash out prevention. Black velvet is the ultimate but any flat dark color is better than white.
I will definitely use a dark color paint. I am planning on repainting the entire room a dark color.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

The JVC RS46 looks like it might be a lead contender....
post #6 of 6 Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 142
If there's a new JVC in your budget, YES. They'll have black levels that nothing else can touch.

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 5030ub. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page