Buying Projector Online Securely? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morlince
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Buying Projector Online Securely?

Has anyone ever had experience buying a piece of equipment through the classifieds? I'm wondering how in the world to do this securely and without getting scammed? Or do you blindly wire the money and hope for the best?

Thanks for any feedback.
Ryanweather is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Morlince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Never wire money... use paypal if anything. Make sure you state on the payment from paypal that it is for goods, not services. Usually paypal will not release funds to the individual until you state that it arrived in good condition.

/\\/\\orlince
Ryanweather likes this.

~/\\/\\orlince

BenQ w1070
DIY 100" Screen (will be painting it soon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Xbox One gaming community I help Mod
Morlince is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM
psg
Senior Member
 
psg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Kenton, DE, USA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Say what? PayPal has NEVER been an escrow service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlince View Post
Never wire money... use paypal if anything. Make sure you state on the payment from paypal that it is for goods, not services. Usually paypal will not release funds to the individual until you state that it arrived in good condition.

/\\/\\orlince
psg is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Newbie
 
shophiataylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanweather View Post
Has anyone ever had experience buying a piece of equipment through the classifieds? I'm wondering how in the world to do this securely and without getting scammed? Or do you blindly wire the money and hope for the best?

Thanks for any feedback.
Well, i do like to shop online but always give preference to the well know online retails store like amzon, ebay etc.. you can buy from them!!
shophiataylor is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
There is no way I would do what you are discussing. What type of crazy deal is it that is far away and requires a money transfer? In this day and age I've never really heard of such a thing. If you haven't seen a lot of photos, made some emails, maybe called the guy, etc. then I wouldn't go down that road. It's just not the way to do things anymore.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Morlince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
Say what? PayPal has NEVER been an escrow service.
Maybe this is just through ebay, but I don't see ebay specifically mentioned anywhere in this FAQ about payment holds.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/s...ypal-holds-faq

/\\/\\orlince

~/\\/\\orlince

BenQ w1070
DIY 100" Screen (will be painting it soon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Xbox One gaming community I help Mod
Morlince is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM
psg
Senior Member
 
psg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Kenton, DE, USA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That business of paypal "holding" funds only applies to accounts that they feel are risky for some reason, it's not at all their standard practice.

That being said, I have had success in getting funds back from Ebay/Paypal in one case that coincidentally did involve a projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlince View Post
Maybe this is just through ebay, but I don't see ebay specifically mentioned anywhere in this FAQ about payment holds.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/s...ypal-holds-faq

/\\/\\orlince
psg is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Member
 
Morlince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
That business of paypal "holding" funds only applies to accounts that they feel are risky for some reason, it's not at all their standard practice.

That being said, I have had success in getting funds back from Ebay/Paypal in one case that coincidentally did involve a projector.
Either way I would feel much better going through paypal than paying someone directly.

/\\/\\orlince

~/\\/\\orlince

BenQ w1070
DIY 100" Screen (will be painting it soon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Xbox One gaming community I help Mod
Morlince is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off