Planar PD7060 overheating... bunch of questions. - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Planar PD7060 overheating... bunch of questions.
rem437 06:39 PM 08-12-2014
So I picked this thing up recently for $60 and it's my first PJ. Guy said it needed a new bulb because it would shut off at random. Thought it'd be worth a shot to see if I could take a look at it and "fix it" because of the praise in the reviews for the unit (although he had it listed as a PD7010) and because I'm not sure my girlfriend can handle this stuff as she has a seizure disorder that she keeps pretty well controlled with meds. Couldn't get the shut down to replicate in 45 minutes of it throwing an image so I took it home.

Anyhow, first night of testing it was throwing a darn good image at about 120" diagonal onto my green wall and gave me the 1 long 3 short blinking light of "lamp over temperature". Tried it again last night with the high altitude setting (I assume this is code for MAKE THE FANS RUN REALLY FAST) on and was playing xbox 360 for about 5 hours without a problem before I gave up on trying to get it to shut down and went to bed.

So.... Can I take "lamp over temperature" to mean the actual lamp needs to be replaced (~2000 hours) or does it translate more into the environment is over temperature? I see that there's another blinking code for environment over temperature but as I don't know much about PJs, thought I'd ask. If it's the general environment or the internals of the PJ what if anything should I do to cool down the interior? I've been taking apart computers since the early 90s, if these things are similar I could probably get in there and replace/clean up anything worth replacing or cleaning, but don't want to if it'll do more harm than good. Couldn't find any useful information online about disassembly. Manual only includes a cleaning section about cleaning the PJ exterior with damp cloth or wiping the bulb with a cloth.

Both tests were done in less-than-ideal conditions with xbox 360 game cases propping up the back of the PJ so not much airflow underneath. Mounted on the ceiling it's going to be ceiling fan adjacent with a lot of airflow all around it. I wanted to get a few good looks at it before deciding if it's worth the time/trouble/money/holes in the ceiling to mount it right, run wires, replace my receiver, and project it onto a better surface. Turns out it is. Even with the age of the lamp the image it projected without any calibration onto a 103' diagonal frame made of 1x3s and stretched blackout cloth was pretty impressive.

airscapes's Avatar airscapes 07:08 PM 08-12-2014
There is probably more than one fan.. take a peak inside ..
rem437 08:39 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
There is probably more than one fan.. take a peak inside ..
Yeah, apparently there's at least four. When it's on the one I can see spins fine. Can I safely leave it open while running to determine if all the fans are spinning? There are different error codes for the 4 fans being locked, but those didn't show when it shut down, just the code relating to "lamp over temperature."
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 08:44 PM 08-12-2014
I would no run it long, just enough to make sure everything is working. Take lots of photos as you disassemble. That vintage of projector has about 20 billion screws.. and 5 million ground wires..
rem437 08:50 PM 08-12-2014
Quote:
I would no run it long, just enough to make sure everything is working. Take lots of photos as you disassemble. That vintage of projector has about 20 billion screws.. and 5 million ground wires..
Lol, way to instill confidence. I'll give it a go in a bit.
rem437 10:45 PM 08-12-2014
Well, opened it up and learned that it has 4 fans. Fans 1&2 were working fine, can't see fan 4 while it's running as it's pressed against a heatsink behind the lens. I assume fan 4 works as there was a bunch of dirt/dust around it along with a dead moth or something. Fan 3 appeared to either be running slow or not at all. Now after I put it back together it's giving me the code saying fan 3 is locked. Bah.

Guess the next step is to replace fan 3 and hope it works?
rem437 11:08 PM 08-12-2014
Well, nevermind that. Started taking the fan out to see if I could make it to fry's before it closed and found this guy stopping the fan from spinning. No idea what it is or how it got there, but took it out and the fan is back to spinning and the PJ doesn't shut down. So what next?
Attached: 20140812_220300.jpg (227.5 KB) 
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 06:48 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem437 View Post
Well, nevermind that. Started taking the fan out to see if I could make it to fry's before it closed and found this guy stopping the fan from spinning. No idea what it is or how it got there, but took it out and the fan is back to spinning and the PJ doesn't shut down. So what next?
So the projector works fine now or you can not turn it off?
I would also be looking to see where the mystery piece came from.. Looks like it could be an air deflector or maybe part of a cable cover?
If you problem has stopped, then enjoy your good luck and watch the projector! if the unit will now no longer power down, and it did before you took it apart, something is not connected or connected tight.
rem437 06:59 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
So the projector works fine now or you can not turn it off?
I would also be looking to see where the mystery piece came from.. Looks like it could be an air deflector or maybe part of a cable cover?
If you problem has stopped, then enjoy your good luck and watch the projector! if the unit will now no longer power down, and it did before you took it apart, something is not connected or connected tight.
Didn't realize how unclear that was... Sorry. Before I opened it up or turned on the high altitude setting it would power off and give me the error code meaning "lamp over temperature" after running it for a while. Turned on the high altitude setting (which I assume just makes the fans go faster /more often) and it stays on for hours. I'd like to fix it so it stays on without the high altitude setting on as it's loud and seems like a band aid for the problem. All fans appear to be working, so what should I do next? Does it make sense that it would be just the lamp causing the error? Or is the lamp being over temperature a sign of other things? Additionally, would lubing the fans make them less noisy?
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 07:35 AM 08-13-2014
So now you have all fans running, have you tested without high altitude? Do you still get an overheat error? A lamp is never going to cause a problem like this. It will work, it may flicker, it may be to dim or it may not light. Those are the only things a lamp will do or cause. If you have a over temp problem, all cooling fans are running and there is no air restrictions, then you have a sensor problem or a board problem. Now that mystery piece may be an air deflector that is no longer where it needs to be.. certainly possible that is the root of the problem.
rem437 10:43 PM 08-13-2014
Quote:
So now you have all fans running, have you tested without high altitude? Do you still get an overheat error? A lamp is never going to cause a problem like this. It will work, it may flicker, it may be to dim or it may not light. Those are the only things a lamp will do or cause. If you have a over temp problem, all cooling fans are running and there is no air restrictions, then you have a sensor problem or a board problem. Now that mystery piece may be an air deflector that is no longer where it needs to be.. certainly possible that is the root of the problem.
Yeah, it seemed like a weird wording or situation for the code to mean the lamp was too hot, hence starting this thread. I'm not sure where that piece came from, but it was certainly placed in a weird spot which leads me to believe someone else tried a repair and didn't do a very good job. Anyhow, I'm going to open her up and poke around a bit more. I'll keep you posted. Don't want to try to run it without high altitude quite yet.
rem437 03:37 AM 08-15-2014
Good news! So I noticed that fan 3 was spin spinning a bit on the slow side, so I took the PJ apart and put a bit of 3 in 1 oil in each of the fans. Fired her up and noticed almost immediately that that fan 3 was pushing out A LOT more air and the air was pretty hot.

Set the projector back to normal altitude and streamed 3 movies back to back and it's running well. Pretty sweet for $60 and another $3 for the oil. Thanks for the tips, airscapes.

Now to calibrate her a little... Wish my phone camera could capture the majesty of crappily awesome Jason Statham movies and Black Ops 2 on a 103" screen...
Attached: 20140812_020304.jpg (167.3 KB) 
Up
Mobile  Desktop