Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Can't decide between Epson 8350 vs. Optima HD131

Hello there, this is my first post on here and I need some immediate help selecting one of these two PJ as my main unit. Although I would love to keep both, that's not going to happen. I currently own both projectors but one has to go back to Best Buy. I have a small 10x10 room and the projector is mounted about 9 feta back on the ceiling. My room is pretty dark throughout the day and pitch black at night, but I did notice the Optima is brighter when I turn on the lights. Optima also h's 3D which I don't plan on using currently but it is a nice feature to have. The Epson has the better picture right out of the box with minimal calibration but the thing is huge, and I have heard they have a good chance at failing. I'm stuck and torn and would love some opinions on which would you guys rather keep and why. And no I'm not considering the BenQ W1700 o any other PJ for that matter, just what I currently have. I currently own a crappy manual screen, but I plan to buy some laminate and paint it, just haven't decided which paint to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The price difference isn't that much, I bought the Epson pretty cheap two days ago price matched amazon, so really its only 100+ difference

Last edited by MartinMendez; 08-13-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 72
All projectors have a chance of failing. It's the customer service of each company that's important.
As for your two projectors, if you must have 3d, your decision is easy. If you don't care about 3d, the Epson unit has much greater placement flexibility and your choice of screen sizes. The Epson also has brighter and more accurate colors. The Optoma is probably sharper at the center of the screen and is brighter overall. Which unit you choose depends on what's most important to you.
Ftoast likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Epson customer service is beyond belief amazing. I had an issue with my 8350 after 2 years and they just shipped another one out to me for free and I put the old unit in the shipping box, slapped on the pre-paid shipping label and was done. I can't comment on picture quality between the two units, but if they are both within your technical spec, Epson customer service is amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm sticking with the Epson. I'd prefer the better picture over 3D
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Not sure how much you want to hear this since you aren't interested in exchanging for the w1070, but supposedly the Epson 8345 is a refreshed 8350 often a little cheaper, and they fixed whatever was sometimes causing problems in the older 8350. So it might be worth it to grab the 8345 instead of the 8350..either way I'd go for the Epson over any Optoma that isn't the hd50 or hd30b.

Better colors, brighter full-color image (Optoma is brighter for black&white and pale colors that are near white/grey), better lens, runs quieter for those who are very noise adverse, no chance of RBE, and there isn't a better LCD under $2000.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - HD131 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page